opinion needed

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2007, 10:50 AM
orcasb's Avatar Veteran
Hi, I am not sure if I have ever posted here or not, but here goes. My name is Sarah and I am mom to Wyatt 2 and Payton 9 months. Wyatt has been receiving speech therapy since he was about 1 through the local infants and toddlers program. THey recently did an OT eval on him and she said that she thinks he has SPD (sensory processing disorder). When I mentioned my concerns to his Dr at his 2 year well check his Dr. made the comment that we should not worry about it and just keep working with I&T because he was too young to test right now. That was before his OT assesment. My question is should I wait until he goes back in July for his well child visit to persue this further or should I set up a time before that and see if he will refer us to a developmental pediatrician? I am still new to this and just looking for some advise
Thanks
January 7th, 2007, 03:56 PM
m.and.a
Hmm, I don't know what sensory processing disorder is. Can the OT provide the eval? How old do they need to be to be tested? If he is too young to test, then I would wait, if not, I would pursue it. Good luck!
January 9th, 2007, 06:31 PM
*Lindsay*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am a little familiar with SPD. If I were you, I would do everything I can to get things going now. Early Intervention has its name for a reason. The earlier the better.

Good luck, and please let us know what you decide to do and what the result is!
January 9th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Hi, I am not sure if I have ever posted here or not, but here goes. My name is Sarah and I am mom to Wyatt 2 and Payton 9 months. Wyatt has been receiving speech therapy since he was about 1 through the local infants and toddlers program. THey recently did an OT eval on him and she said that she thinks he has SPD (sensory processing disorder). When I mentioned my concerns to his Dr at his 2 year well check his Dr. made the comment that we should not worry about it and just keep working with I&T because he was too young to test right now. That was before his OT assesment. My question is should I wait until he goes back in July for his well child visit to persue this further or should I set up a time before that and see if he will refer us to a developmental pediatrician? I am still new to this and just looking for some advise
Thanks[/b]

Hi Sarah,
I am Jenn, mommy to Kendall 11, Cade 4 and Colton who will be 2 in about a week and a half. I know lots about SPD - we have been dealing with it for quite some time now in my house. If I were you I would not wait until July if you are concerned now. How much does your ped know about SPD? In my experience the answer to that is usually very little. In fact, I feel like I know way more about it than my ped. As far as I know - and I may be wrong - but I dont think that it is an official medical diagnosis yet. By that I mean it is not in that book, shoot I can't remember the name of the book. But a few years ago I went to a seminar on SPD with my son's OT and his vision therapist to see Lucy Jane Miller and Carol Stock Kranowitz and at that time they were still working very hard to get it in there. As far as your son being too young to test - that just depends on what kinds of tests they will be doing - but if he is having issues with SPD early therapy is better. My son was dx with that at 7 months old and I cannot even imagine what he would be like today without all of the intense OT we have received.

I am sorry if this all sounds like a jumbled mess. Please feel free to ask me any questions about it - I have read some books that I think are good. I have alot of great links on it as wel. - Heck I think they may all still be in the sticky at the top of this page. I also did a session on it w/ my son's OT at the Early Intervention and Preschool Conference in our state 2 years ago.

Anyway, best of luck to you and your son. Please let us know what you decide to do.

Jenn
January 12th, 2007, 04:22 AM
orcasb's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks[/b]

Hi Sarah,
I am Jenn, mommy to Kendall 11, Cade 4 and Colton who will be 2 in about a week and a half. I know lots about SPD - we have been dealing with it for quite some time now in my house. If I were you I would not wait until July if you are concerned now. How much does your ped know about SPD? In my experience the answer to that is usually very little. In fact, I feel like I know way more about it than my ped. As far as I know - and I may be wrong - but I dont think that it is an official medical diagnosis yet. By that I mean it is not in that book, shoot I can't remember the name of the book. But a few years ago I went to a seminar on SPD with my son's OT and his vision therapist to see Lucy Jane Miller and Carol Stock Kranowitz and at that time they were still working very hard to get it in there. As far as your son being too young to test - that just depends on what kinds of tests they will be doing - but if he is having issues with SPD early therapy is better. My son was dx with that at 7 months old and I cannot even imagine what he would be like today without all of the intense OT we have received.

I am sorry if this all sounds like a jumbled mess. Please feel free to ask me any questions about it - I have read some books that I think are good. I have alot of great links on it as wel. - Heck I think they may all still be in the sticky at the top of this page. I also did a session on it w/ my son's OT at the Early Intervention and Preschool Conference in our state 2 years ago.

Anyway, best of luck to you and your son. Please let us know what you decide to do.

Jenn
[/b]

Thanks,
I am still new to this whole thing. I knew all along that something was off with him, and now as I watch my DD I can totally see that he had issues early on. I am sure that my Dr. knows very little about SPD. We live in rather small area, and the only dev. ped. is about 2 hours away, but it would definately be worth the drive. I am going to mention it to his Dr when my DD has her well check in two weeks. Good news is that I think that my SO is starting to realize that it is not just Wyatt being head strong or having behavior issues, b/c since we have started seeing some positive effects from brushing, he will at least listen to what the I&T people say and has even talked about what we should do with Dr.'s. Thanks again for the advise

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search