Time to start meds for ADHD

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2004, 06:00 AM
ConnectingRainbows's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son has always been a tough kid for me to deal with, but since he finished pre-school last month, things have been way out of control. We had been seeing a therapist since November but recently stopped because we weren't getting anywhere. Last night we went back out of sheer desperation. Something has got to change around here and I mean that in the strongest way possible.

Well, after my son bounced all over the therapists office and touched every personal item in the office and spit on the couch and argued with the therapist, we decided that it is medication time. We are looking at ADHD/ODD symptoms and I just can't take it any more. The therapist is going to call the pediatrician to discuss it, but he is thinking Strettara. I know nothing about any of this medication.

I spent an hour on the phone this morning with a friend who did her best to convince me that this is the right thing to do. I agree, but I'm stressed out about it.

I guess I'll be hanging out here as my story unfolds.

Tired of feeling like you have to be superwoman, caring for everyone but yourself?
You donít have to! JourneyToJoy.com
June 9th, 2004, 08:30 AM
nmyddseyes's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to nmyddseyes Send a message via MSN to nmyddseyes Send a message via Yahoo to nmyddseyes
K.C. Having a child that is hyper in general can be nerve racking but if he is diagnosed with AHDD/ADD that makes it even harder. So, I want to give you huge HUGS. It is not easy. Getting the help for your son though is important and unfortunately sometimes meds is the only way. I am sorry that just seeing a therapist didn't help you. But hopefully once he gets the proper dose of meds in him he can function better during the day and YOU can relax a bit yourself. We are glad to have you here and we will give you all the support you need. HUGS.

-Dori
June 9th, 2004, 09:26 AM
YankeeMom
I may have missed something, has he been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD? I didn't think they had tests for children under 5 because they were unreliable

I completely understand your frustration. My 9yo dd has ADHD and has been on Concerta since she was 7 1/2 I see a WORLD of difference in her when she has had her pill and when she has not. This is going to be our first summer taking her off it for vacation (wish us luck LMAO).

You can always try the Strattera (the difference in strattera and the other meds out there is that Strattera is a non-stimulant medication and it's for 24hrs - where as Concerta, at the most is good for 10-12hrs and Ritalin only about 4hrs). You give it to them at night (because it makes them sleepy at first) and it lasts through the school day and home time Our ped wouldn't switch Melanie to strattera because she is responding well to Concerta. I guess they normally try the stimulant meds first, then if they don't work they go to strattera.
Like I was saying, before I started babbling lol, you could always try it then if it's not working or you don't like the results, take him off or try something else. There really are very few side affects, most of them mild like reduced appetite and sleeplessness (both of which wear off after a few weeks of usage & adjusting dosages). I'm not positive, but I think strattera actually has to build up in the system before it's fully effective.

Good luck!
HTH
June 9th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the support and the information.

No, Dylan hasn't been officially diagnosed. For six months, the therapist has been referring to his behavior as "precursive ADHD" with ODD symptoms. He doesn't believe in diagnosing this young either. Although Dylan will be 5 in August. It has just gotten to a point where something must be done. And better to sample now before Kindergarten starts in September.

Our pediatrician is out of the office, so we have a few days before anything happens. Our therapist has a doctorate, but doesn't prescribe. I wouldn't do anything without the pediatrician's go ahead any way.

Tired of feeling like you have to be superwoman, caring for everyone but yourself?
June 9th, 2004, 03:26 PM
OhClueless1
KC... I can totally relate to what your going through.. I have two boys with ADHD also.

I am glad your son is seeing a therapist... I have two things I would like to mention.. with the utmost respect of course.

I may be mistaken... but I was under the impression from our own psychiatrist that strattera has not shown great results in treating hyperactivity? I wanted to put my son on it after Christmas but was told that it has not been living up to its trail results. It seems to work great for those children who have problems focusing, and paying attention but is lacking good results with the hyperactive and implucivity that most ADHD children are presenting. Brenden who is 7 has been on Concerta for almost a year now. My oldest son Joe, who is 13, is on the Strattera.. but he no longer had the hyperactivity problems before he started using it.

http://www.adhdnews.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=1
This is a wonderful website for Mothers of ADHD children.. these parents have problably forgotten more about ADHD than I have ever known. They will be able to answer any and all questions you have much much better than myself.

Secondly.... I would be very concerned that they are moving to medicate him at 4/5 yrs of age. Both of my sons were made to wait until they were 7 and we knew for years with both of them that they had ADHD.

I completely understand the frustration.. Brenden has pushed me over the edge so many times I don't know how we have manage to get this far... I hope the ADHD board can help you. They have helped me a lot.
June 14th, 2004, 05:54 AM
Some people will just be judgemental no matter what! I've been talking to friends and family about the medication issue and have been getting such mixed messages it's making me crazy! My dad says I should definitely put Dylan on meds and that if my doctor won't do it, I should find one that will. My stepmother wants to know if his behavior is different at home that it is at their house because he seems perfectly normal to here. (How my dad and stepmother see two different kids, I'm not sure.) Another friend says "Oh, he's not that bad."

I know this decision is between me, DH and the docs, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. This is so frustrating!

BTW... this vent doesn't include the advice given here. It's not the same thing. I appreciate the advice given here. I think it's easier because it's not as personal.

June 14th, 2004, 10:08 AM
YankeeMom
Quote:
Originally posted by dt_mommy@Jun 14 2004, 07:54 AM
Some people will just be judgemental no matter what! I've been talking to friends and family about the medication issue and have been getting such mixed messages it's making me crazy! My dad says I should definitely put Dylan on meds and that if my doctor won't do it, I should find one that will. My stepmother wants to know if his behavior is different at home that it is at their house because he seems perfectly normal to here. (How my dad and stepmother see two different kids, I'm not sure.) Another friend says "Oh, he's not that bad."

I know this decision is between me, DH and the docs, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. This is so frustrating!

BTW... this vent doesn't include the advice given here. It's not the same thing. I appreciate the advice given here. I think it's easier because it's not as personal.
Brace yourself for it now.
Before you know it, complete strangers will be telling you you're drugging your kid to make up for your lazy parenting (or lackthereof)
Heard that one a bazillion times
YOU gotta do what's right for YOUR child. Not what anyone else thinks is right
June 14th, 2004, 11:38 AM
OhClueless1
Quote:
Originally posted by YankeeMom@Jun 14 2004, 01:08 PM
Brace yourself for it now.
Before you know it, complete strangers will be telling you you're drugging your kid to make up for your lazy parenting (or lackthereof)
Heard that one a bazillion times
YOU gotta do what's right for YOUR child. Not what anyone else thinks is right
Ugggg.. Been there heard that a few dozen times.

You know what really aggrivates me about people who say stuff like that?? They think the meds are a fix all and that the child goes from out of control to sedate and raising themselves. NOT!! Its still a lot of work.. The meds are not a cure.. just an aid in helping the child calm down a tad, focus and form better relationships with adults and other children.

It will all work out KC... and whatever you decide we all know its because its what you feel is best for your child. You know your child better than anyone.
June 15th, 2004, 04:18 AM
<<sigh>> Our pediatrician called yesterday. He and the therapist haven't been able to connect yet. He did, however, mention that he thought Dylan was too young and that Strattera comes in pill form which Dylan probably won't swallow.

Ya know.... I really don't even want to put Dylan on medication in the first place. I hate the thought. I just need to do something. KWIM?

June 15th, 2004, 06:41 PM
OhClueless1
Have you tried a behavior modification program?? Your doctor should be able to help you come up with one if it was something you are interested in looking into.

I didn't even think that he might be to young for the strattera. Some of the medications for ADHD are perscribed according to age. I have a web site somewhere in the disaster area I call my favorite places about meds and ages. I will see if I can find it.

Edit:

Here's the link.. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/childqa.cfm

Strattera isn't on this list.. they don't have a listing for non stimulant medications for ADHD.
June 17th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by OhClueless1@Jun 15 2004, 10:41 PM
Have you tried a behavior modification program?? Your doctor should be able to help you come up with one if it was something you are interested in looking into.
Darn unread post marker! I didn't even see your recent post until just now.

A behavior modification program would be ideal. IF I knew about anything being available. I've been begging every where I can think of for help with this kid since he was 2. I've gotten some assistance for Early Intervention, but that was about as useful as.... Between his pediatrician, our therapist, early intervention and head start, I'd like to think someone would have told me if such a program existed. But it would probably cost a fortune any way.

June 17th, 2004, 12:25 PM
YankeeMom
Quote:
Originally posted by dt_mommy+Jun 17 2004, 02:12 PM-->
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-OhClueless1
Quote:
@Jun 15 2004, 10:41 PM
Have you tried a behavior modification program??* Your doctor should be able to help you come up with one if it was something you are interested in looking into.
Darn unread post marker! I didn't even see your recent post until just now.

A behavior modification program would be ideal. IF I knew about anything being available. I've been begging every where I can think of for help with this kid since he was 2. I've gotten some assistance for Early Intervention, but that was about as useful as.... Between his pediatrician, our therapist, early intervention and head start, I'd like to think someone would have told me if such a program existed. But it would probably cost a fortune any way. [/b]
Melanie's Child Psychologist gave us some behavior modifications to try with her. Maybe your therapist could reccommend something?
July 21st, 2004, 02:11 PM
Finally.... an update.....

After I found Dylan in his room the other day with his bed sheet wrapped a couple of times tightly around his neck, I called the pediatrican and therapist again. That got them talking to each other.

Dylan has been prescribed the lowest available dosage (10 mg) of Adderall. This medication is a stimulant approved for children 3 and older.

Hopefully this will control his implusivity enough that our sanity returns and we can work on some behavior modification techniques.

We start tomorrow. Wish us luck!

July 29th, 2004, 09:28 AM
mom2one's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by dt_mommy@Jul 21 2004, 04:11 PM
Finally.... an update.....

After I found Dylan in his room the other day with his bed sheet wrapped a couple of times tightly around his neck, I called the pediatrican and therapist again. That got them talking to each other.

Dylan has been prescribed the lowest available dosage (10 mg) of Adderall. This medication is a stimulant approved for children 3 and older.

Hopefully this will control his implusivity enough that our sanity returns and we can work on some behavior modification techniques.

We start tomorrow. Wish us luck!
My dh takes adderall for adult ADHD and it works well for him with no side effects. I still don't think he focuses all that well, but he says he isn't as overwhelmed as with out it. I didn't see a drastic change, but that is probably a good thing right? We don't want to sedate them.

Anyway, I hope all goes well and he finds peace with it.

Nicole
August 19th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Just an update..... After being on meds for 1 1/2 weeks and having two completely out of control outbursts, we took Dylan off the meds. When I say "out of control", I mean I had to restrain him to keep him from beating the crap out of me while throwing temper tantrums. Even while I had his wrists pinned to the floor, he was able to push up and lift my upper body. Unbelievable! Both times, this kid knew he was stronger than me and that I was afraid of him. BAD situation to be in. We're still trying to recover.

Thank goodness school starts soon. I'm at the end of my rope!

August 29th, 2004, 06:26 PM
OhClueless1
I am so sorry the meds didn't help you as much as you had hoped.

Have your Dr.'s decided what to try now??
August 30th, 2004, 04:28 AM
My doctor said... and this is a direct quote... "I hate to tell you I told you so." ARG! He doesn't want to try any other meds. He believes without proof that Dylan has ADHD, with his young age, and that you can't know for certain what meds work for what kids, it is best to just leave it alone. At least I had to try!!

School starts in 3 days. That will give him plenty of new stimuli for a while and will give me a break. We'll explore this more at a later time if it is still necessary.

I'm pretty much out of momentum!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search