Not sure if I fit in this board or not

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2004, 07:45 PM
three_blue_eyed_babies's Avatar Regular
Send a message via AIM to three_blue_eyed_babies Send a message via Yahoo to three_blue_eyed_babies
My little Mason was born at 36 weeks, he suffered from Interuterine Growth Restriction. He weighed only 2lbs 7ozs and was just over 15 inches long. He suffered from some common preemie issues such as ROP, PDA, Hyperbilirubin, and Hypoglycemia. He spent 6 weeks and 1 day in the NICU. He came home weighing 4lbs 9ozs. Mason is almost 8 months old and seems to have no real issues. He does have reflux and he is still tiny(13lbs) I am concerned about delays. We had an OT and a PT but they found no reason to keep coming Mason was doing so well. Since then Mason has pretty much not hit any more milestones. He still isn't sitting alone. I was wondering if his size could maybe slow him up a bit.. Is there anyone on the board that may have some advice for me? I have posted on the infant board and the preemie board and gotten some very freindly Hello's but no real responses...

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/masryan

December 1st, 2004, 08:32 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I do think size could make a difference. My son is developmentally delayed. He was a preemie and born at 33 weeks. He has vision issues, feeding issues, eating and speech delays. I think that him having ROP could make a difference in his development. If he is not seeing as well he doesn't have as much motivation to do things. Is he rolling over? Brandon didn't sit up till around nine months. If you want to stop on over to the Developmental Delays board later maybe we can start working on some things to do with him.

I get a lot of occupational therapy with Brandon so I can tell you some of the things we are doing. Try getting a boppy pillow like the ones you use for nursing. Put him in the boppy pillow so he has a little support with sitting up. This will help a lot. Also prop him in the corner of the sofa. So he has support when he is sitting up. Work on letting him sit up and supporting his back. Practice sitting with him. Get a little bucket or a big cooking pot. Sit him up and put it between his legs. You may have to sit behind him or close by to keep him supported. Work on him sitting up and pulling things out of the bucket, like little toys and stuff.

I would also keep watching his milestones and if he is still having delays you are concerned about push for a reevaluation. I am surprised they aren't seeing him. What state do you live in? Maybe I can help you find services.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
December 1st, 2004, 10:38 PM
Send a message via AIM to three_blue_eyed_babies Send a message via Yahoo to three_blue_eyed_babies
He is rolling both ways. Our last evaluation was in September we also had one in July with the NICU to follow up. Their only issue at the time was his weight. The EIC comes once a month and she rescheduled Nov. due to her being ill. Otherwise I think she would have brought his PT back in. We have worked closely with his EIC ever since Mason has come home. Her visit is scheduled for the 22nd. When they came to see him in September he could sit assisted and they said that was just great and that was one of the main reasons they said developmentally he would be fine. But he still only sits that way. I think he may have weak trunk muscles?? He has a habit of bending straight over to his toes when you sit him up. Thats one of the reasons the boppy isn't really working for him. I will repost his story on the developmental delay board(which I missed before) Thanks!

December 3rd, 2004, 11:06 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome Shannon! My daughter was FTT (due to severe reflux)and weighed 12 lb at almost 9 months old. She didn't roll over intil 9 months and sat up at 11 months. She physically couldn't do these things b/c she was too weak. She had a feeding tube and upped her caloric intake to 30 cal./ounce. That + PT did wonders! If your still concerned, demand another eval. I think it's so senseless taking services away from our kids just to have them fall behind again. PM, IM, or email me anytime.

</div>
December 3rd, 2004, 02:04 PM
They upped Mason's calorie intake at 6 months. He weighed 9lbs barely. He was on Neosure but they recently changed him to Isomil because they think he may have a milk protien allergy. He is currently on Zantac but I am thinking something else may be a better optition. We don't go back to the GI until March. We have another NICU follow up assesment in January followed by another MRI and Neuro visit in February. I can't wait until all these doctors visits stop, but they have gotten a lot better. They were every week then every other week now we seem to have 1 a month. We go to Childrens Hospital for all these appointments which is about an hour away. Mason hates his carseat so that makes for a fun trip..

December 3rd, 2004, 02:15 PM
ranidae
Try Gripe Water for the reflux, we had great sucess with it with the twins. I still order it online to keep a stock of it in the house. It is a all natural tonic that helps with gas, tummy upset etc. Baby's Bliss it worked better than zantac and reglan for the twins.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search