Dealing with a hospital that won't allow VBAC's

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My name is Athena. I'm not currently pregnant but we are going to TTC soon. I want to know all that I can before making the decision whether to VBAC or not. My hospital doesn't accept VBAC's. The closest hospital is over an hour away. I believe it's 90 minutes. I'v never even been in labor before and has to have my son by c-section 7 months ago due to a complete previa.

So I don't know if I labor fast or not. I can get prenatal care here til 6 or 7 months pregnant then ask for a referral up to the other hospital but I'd have to have the remaining appointment there. I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with this type of situation. I guess I'm wondering hos possible it is to make it that far? If that makes sense. TIA.
March 27th, 2010, 11:15 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is very possible. Most first time labors are not that fast 90 minutes is plenty of time. I would absolutely drive that far for a VBAC.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
March 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM
nuclearwife82's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to nuclearwife82
I agree, I would drive that distance for a VBAC.

March 27th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I went an hour away for all my prenatal care and the delivery. If it really scares you you could always drive there in early labor and get a hotel room untill you're ready to go to the hospital. The other option is homebirth too if there are any midwives in your area.
March 27th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Totally doable. To get my VBA2C, I had to travel over 2 hours. I got a doula that was about 40 minutes from the hospital, and in early labor, I went to her house. Then the next day we ended up just getting a hotel nearby and stayed there until I was in active labor. I had never had any contractions, either. So I was essentially a first time mom. I started latent labor 2 days before I delivered, and active labor was 8 hours before I delivered.

Good luck!

My Ovulation Chart
March 27th, 2010, 08:03 PM
wantingmore2love's Avatar Super Mommy
i would so drive that far at 1st i thought i was going to have to drive over and hr an a half but found a hospital closer..

which is only 30 miles away

but i really want a vbac and vbac arnt allowed here..

so i found a place that allowed them

March 27th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Jaci's Avatar I AM a Doula :)
I would also drive that far and I do believe it is doable. You could also have a HB midwife be a backup just in case you aren't able to get there. Good luck!

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my siggie!

Our Family Blog
March 28th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
I'm also not currently pregnant, but we've moved to NTNP at this point. Our local hospital (where I had my c/s) doesn't allow VBACs, period. Jerks. There's a hospital about a half-hour away that does - I don't love it, 'cause it's huge (local hospital is really small), but if I have to, that's where I'll go. I've also emailed a couple local midwives who will attend a homebirth after a c/s - it's nice to know I'll have that option. I've decided recently to try to convince my regular OB (whose practice is in the local hospital) to try to get privileges at the bigger hospital so I can see her through my next pregnancy. I love her! And the thought of having to use another OB for the next pregnancy makes me want to cry.
March 28th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh I would love to only go 90 minutes to the nearest VBAC hospital!! I think you can definitely make it but the ladies made some great suggestions as well!

I'm not currently pregnant either, but I have planned it out. The closest VBAC allowing hospital that's closest to me is 3 1/2 hours away! Eeek! I am going to TRY to do a HB but the nearest midwife is just as far away and she said that it depends on how many patients she has around the time that I deliver. I might just convince myself that an unassisted birth would be best, but I'm still up in the air about it.... if I decide to go for a hospital birth I'll do as some suggested. Wait until I'm sure that I'm in labor, that it's not going to stop and drive up there. Camp out at a hotel and when I start transitioning or heck maybe just wait until I feel the need to push and I'll head on in.

It's totally doable! GL and KUP!
Jesse: 10 weeks - Feb 2017 TTC #4 w/ lots of prayer our RAINBOW baby!
"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me."
Jeremiah 29:11-13

March 28th, 2010, 08:52 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I'd drive that far for a VBAC. My first labor was a vaginal birth and it was a 12 hr labor but my DS was a preemie... My second labor that ended in the c/s was 29 hrs long... My last labor that ended in VBAC was 43 hrs long. I personally don't think that you'll have a problem making it to the hospital.
March 28th, 2010, 11:45 AM
for those who had to drive far.. was the car ride home painful??

im just worried vbac or not it going to be a painful 30 mile ride home..

is there anything i should bring with me to make it better on the ride home??

March 28th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
No, the ride home was not bad at all. The only thing you'll have to take into consideration is that you'll have to stop along the way to nurse the baby. That little one is not going to want to wait that long! Even if your nurse as you are getting the discharge papers, it's going to take some time to get out of the room, and into your car, then all the time home. We just planned to stop at a grocery store halfway home to nurse in the car. But, if you're sore, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a donut pillow with you to sit on.

My Ovulation Chart
March 28th, 2010, 05:30 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna. View Post
I'm also not currently pregnant, but we've moved to NTNP at this point. Our local hospital (where I had my c/s) doesn't allow VBACs, period. Jerks. There's a hospital about a half-hour away that does - I don't love it, 'cause it's huge (local hospital is really small), but if I have to, that's where I'll go. I've also emailed a couple local midwives who will attend a homebirth after a c/s - it's nice to know I'll have that option. I've decided recently to try to convince my regular OB (whose practice is in the local hospital) to try to get privileges at the bigger hospital so I can see her through my next pregnancy. I love her! And the thought of having to use another OB for the next pregnancy makes me want to cry.
How much does it matter to you who catches the baby? Honestly when it comes to birth the doctor is there very little unless there are complications. The most important thing is to have a supportive nurse. Have you considered having your OB do your prenatal care and then just going to the other hospital for the birth? The larger hospital will have an OB on staff that will be available to catch.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
March 28th, 2010, 07:31 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruff79 View Post
I went an hour away for all my prenatal care and the delivery. If it really scares you you could always drive there in early labor and get a hotel room untill you're ready to go to the hospital. The other option is homebirth too if there are any midwives in your area.
Ditto. The hospital I had my VBA2C in was an hour away. It's def worth it. I'd look into a homebirth first if I were you.

March 29th, 2010, 08:18 AM
i wanted a home birth..

but i couldnt find any midwifes around here and the hospital in my town doesnt allow vbacs so if something needed to be watched at the hospital or needed some help they would help by cutting me open and not thinking twice about it..

so ill drive the extra way.. my body will deal with what it needs too.. i just hope hubby can deal with me LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search