"Once a c-section, always..."

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a sonogram appointment this morning and spent a few minutes reading a magazine they had in the waiting room. It had a grabber on the front cover that said "Why you REALLY don't want a c-section" so I flipped to that article. It talked about how it is harder on the babies lungs and how a mother is "2.3 times more likely to return to the hospital for an infection." But the big "number one" reason that they made a special point of putting extra emphasis was that "once a c-section, always a section". That you don't want a c-section because it means "a second, third.... surgeries" if you have kids again. It gave all this information about how VBAC is so rare these days. That you have to meet these specific criteria in order to be specific and that it's uncommon to see woman that meets them all. "91% of woman who have a c-section have repeat c-sections."

I guess it surprised me a little to see an article that was against c-sections give such little hope for vbac. I found it a bit discouraging.
May 24th, 2010, 09:11 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wonder where the person is from that wrote the article. I know some places are much more difficult. I happen to live in one of those states now, but not all regions are created equal for VBAC friendliness.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 24th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
That is strange, and it's not true. Most women meet the criteria, but doctors and hospitals don't allow them to try.
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, & expecting #5

May 24th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure what region the author was from. But that is a good point. The area I live... the medical staff I have come across, while not exceptionally helpful at making vbacs any easier, they do encourage it. No one has made me feel like it's impossible. A lot of family and friends are surprised that I will be allowed to attempt a vbac because they weren't aware it was an option.

I do agree that a lot of woman meet the criteria... it's the doctors and hospital that are making it so difficult.
May 24th, 2010, 11:33 AM
nuclearwife82's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to nuclearwife82
This wasn't the article in Parents magazine was it? I know that article was just awful.

May 25th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Seanaci's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Seanaci Send a message via MSN to Seanaci
My son was a c-section baby (failure to progress and drop, not to mention that when they pulled him out he wasn't breathing...they found his cord tied in a knot, something they'd never seen before). My doctor told me that any other kids I have will be section babies as well.

While I really LOVE my doctor...I have been thinking about finding a doctor when the time comes (and hospital for that matter) that will allow me to try for a VBAC with our next one.
May 26th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am glad your son was okay! That's terrible they told you next time will be c-section... from what you said, it seems like the complications you had last time were just that particular pregnancy and don't see a reason why things wouldn't be completely different next time.

I don't think it was Parents magazine. I *think* it was Fit Pregnancy. It is sad that articles like this are out there and that a lot of woman don't realize how possible it is to have (or at least attempt) a vbac. I had an emotional break down while in the hospital recovering after my c-section and the nurse who was calming me down said there was no reason I couldn't try for a vbac next time. I am glad she told me or I would have gone home and found article like that one. I would have given up on ever delivery vaginally and mentally prepared myself for someday having a repeat c-section.
May 26th, 2010, 07:51 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am sad today because I 'met' a woman on a stillbirth forum that had 1 c-sections and then her stillbirth, which the doctor told her the ONLY option was a repeat c-section. That is infuriating to me because the biggest issue with VBAC for most doctors is the 'dead baby' card. Why did he insist on cutting her? Now she has to recover from a c-section and has no baby, how cruel is that? With a VBA2C she had a chance, but now that she has had 3, she will never get an OB to tell her that VBAC is an option. And there is no way I could ever tell her the harm her OB caused her, it would be too cruel on my part.

The worst thing in this scenario is that c-section increases your risk of stillbirth in future pregnancies. So now she has an even greater chance of having this tragedy repeat itself. So sad.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search