Going to try VBAC

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies,

I thought I would introduce myself to the group. I am a little over 33 weeks pregnant with my second child (a boy). I had an emergency c-section at 32 weeks with my daughter in 2003 due to severe pre-eclampsia and placental abruption. I hadn't really given much thought to the possibility of a VBAC until my doc suggested it as an option. Since then, I've been increasingly interested in trying. My doc is very supportive of having a VBAC (shocking!) and so is my husband. Some of our family aren't as supportive only b/c I don't really think they understand it and are afraid for my safety.

I feel like I need to hurry up and start preparing for labor/childbirth since I'm getting closer to my DD. I've been reading as much info as I possibly can and I'm glad there is a VBAC board here on JM. I never took childbirth classes with my daughter, so I know I need to this time. I keep hearing about Hypnobabies, which sounds like something I might want to try. I should say that I have Fibromyalgia and occasional anxiety, so I know staying calm and as relaxed as possible during labor will be an important part of progressing. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I look forward to getting to know everyone!

May 25th, 2010, 06:52 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Glad that you have a supportive dr who has convinced you to try for a VBAC!!! They are few and far between! If you have any questions, we're here.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

May 26th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
That's fantastic. Congratulations!!!

I used HypnoBabies, and I loved it! I'm sure you will too. I would suggest that if $ is an issue, that you call them up. They have used programs that they sell for less. Don't buy from anywhere but through them, though. There are some scammers out there that are selling incomplete copies to people.

Feel free to ask any questions you have. Good luck!

May 26th, 2010, 06:35 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Our local ICAN had a library that you could borrow from and I borrowed the Hypnobabies set. I'd check with them.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

May 26th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! I understand feeling anxious about labor/birth. It is great that you have already made it over a week further than you did last time! My labor advice is to take each contraction one at a time. Try not to think too much about how dilated you might be, just focus on breathing and imagine the happy end result.
May 26th, 2010, 07:39 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 26th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Jaci's Avatar I AM a Doula :)
Welcome! I recommend a doula for any first time mom, any VBAC mom, and just any preggo who is looking for extra support and someone else to be "on your side." I'd recommend a doula over any hospital labor class in fact

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my siggie!

Our Family Blog
May 27th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much ladies for the warm welcome! I'm definitely going to look into Hypnobabies. I watched The Business of Being Born last night and feel even more empowered to trust my body to do this. I'm strongly considering switching to a midwife though after seeing that documentary! I wonder if it is too late? I really would love to have a doula, but I looked into it yesterday and I don't think we can afford one. I'm not sure our insurance (HMO - Kaiser) covers doula services. I really wish I'd done my homework on this sooner because I would have liked to budget for a more natural birth.

May 27th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
BTW, what is ICAN?

May 27th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
ICAN stands for International Cesarean Awareness Network. You can find them at International Cesarean Awareness Network

Most insurance companies don't cover doula services. But, if you go to our sticky What every Woman Should Know (or something like that) there is a link to a site that offers free and discounted doula services. It's usually doulas in training. They have to attend so many births before they can get certified. So, they offer their services for free to get the experience.

I don't think it's ever to late to switch providers. I mean...if you weren't at home and went into labor, you'd walk into the closest hospital and get whomever was on call. Just start calling some midwives and see, you never know, and it can't hurt to try.

Good luck!

May 27th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much for the info. I will continue looking for a doula in training. I might try to switch to one of the midwives in my OB's office too. My OB is supportive of the VBAC, but I just wonder how quickly he would try to resort to Pitocin or c-section if things don't progress fast enough for him/the hospital.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search