Vba2c?

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2010, 12:04 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Hey Ladies!

I am not pregnant yet but we're going to TTC in November. I want to come to a decision before I get pregnant so I can find a care provider who would be willing to help me achieve a VBA2C if that's the route I take.

I have had two C Sections. My first was in Nov 2003. I laboured for 38hrs, my daughter's heart rate dropped, I failed to progress (I only got to 5-6cm), and I got a high fever so it was an emergency C Section. My second C Section was due to placenta previa. It was scheduled at 39 weeks. I wanted a VBAC with my second with because of the placenta previa it wasn't possible.

Now I want a vaginal birth. I want that feeling of empowerment from a VBAC. I don't want to deal with the recovery after a C Section again (ugh ugh ugh). If I had it my way I'd have a midwife and deliver naturally in a hospital but I'm scared. I'm scared I'll labour for days again, I'm afraid I'll tear like crazy, I'm afraid I'll fail, I'm afraid I couldn't do it because of the size of my children (my daughter was 8lbs9oz and son was 10lbs12oz and I'm worried the next will be even bigger). I'd love a water birth too. I know the risk of uterine rupture is there but what is the percentage with a VBA2C?

I really just don't know what to do. I want a VBA2C but I'm scared. I am also curious about being able to get an OB or MW that will treat me during pregnancy and the birth. Any tips, advice is greatly appreciated.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
May 27th, 2010, 01:14 PM
blessedx7's Avatar I <3 my big family!
I just stopped by this board to ask the very same question. I had c/s, vbac, vbac, c/s. Because my last was a c/s and that made 2 for me, I'm being put in the c/s forever category at my ob.
ages 15, 13, 11, 8, 8, 4 & Kerrigan born 1-14-11
Our Family Blog: www.thecashcrew.blogspot.com

Kerrigan Elizabeth born on her duedate- 100% natural, hypnobabies, VBA2C

May 27th, 2010, 05:03 PM
MamaMandy's Avatar is it Spring yet??
Welcome! I am new to VBAC also, so not much help other than sharing links & fears! There is a TON of helpful info & stats posted in the sticky section of this forum. This is from What every VBAC woman needs to know (or something like that!) It talks about the safety of VBAC after multiple c-sects. It really gets to me how little mothers are told about the risk of repeat c-sects - docs act like it's perfectly safe Anyway, here's the link!

ICAN of Somerset County, NJ: Safety of VBAC: results and interpretations of a recent study PART I

I have learned a lot from the ican website, it has c-sect, VBAC & other safety/risk info & you can find local resources too - Canadian provinces included. International Cesarean Awareness Network

I do know midwives have been proven to have higher success rates with VBAC's than OB 's. I guess they tend to listen & trust the natural, innate bodily function we women have to give birth, instead of viewing it as a medical problem. Because I have to drive 50 miles to VBAC, I'll keep a local OB until 7 months pregnant then am transferring to a midwife who works with the hospital I can VBAC at. I am on Medicaid, government health insurance, and even they allow care by a midwife. From a cost standpoint, it is cheaper to pay a midwife & for vaginal birth than it is an OB & surgery - hopefully Canada shares that view!

It is scary. No, it is terrifying to me! But, women do it day in & day out, every single freaking day - we are BORN to do it! I figure i'll plan for VBAc and if I can't for whatever reason, well, hell it's sure too darn easy to get a repeat c-section!

Children are not little adults, but they ARE people too!

There's a reason they are called dependents...

AP is not alternative to those who see no other choice

http://helpguide.org/mental/parentin...t_disorder.htm

May 27th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Hello Laurel, welcome to the VBAC board. Mandy has given you some great links already, so I wont repeat those.

I had a VBA2C in Feb '08. It truly was the empowering experience you think it might be. Wow! Over two years later and I still get a high thinking about what I did. My first was breech, my second was repeat because it's what I was told to do. I planned a VBAC, but one "no" from my OB and I said okay. Lesson learned. I'm so much more self-preserving now.

The risk of uterine rupture after 1 c/s is around .4-.7%, the rupture rate for 2 or more c/s's is around .8-1.3%. Technically, it's about double. But really, we're talking 1% chance. In other words, you have a 99% chance of not having a rupture.

Because of my 2 sections, I had an anterior placenta, and partial previa. Luckily for me, it moved up and was out of the way around 20 weeks. It wasn't easy finding a provider that would take me. I started by calling doulas and asking them for referrals. They're in the birth world, without being in the medical world, and therefore are able to have more loud opinions on things. I found an OB that was over 2 hours away. I contacted his office, confirmed the VBA2C rumor, and made an appointment. Turns out, he had a midwife working with him, and I was able to have her as my provider. Yay! She was truly a midwife in all sense and purposes. When I went into labor, she came to the hospital and didn't leave until after I gave birth. I used HypnoBabies, so she kept the nurses as bay, wouldn't let them ask me what my pain level was (because, "She wont be having any pain, so don't ask her again"). I'm planning a homebirth next time we get pregnant!

I think it's great that you're looking into what you need to do now, before getting pregnant. Find a local ICAN meeting - you'll learn so much about your local birthing environment! - contact doulas. They will give you awesome resources. If you can, talk to women that have had VBAC's with those providers.

I know about fears! Wow, do I ever! I had so many of them! But, I learned something. Then I kept learning more. I did research on VBAC's and the safety of them. I found out that (for the most part) ruptures occurred when labor was induced or augmented. I found out what every intervention would do to me and my baby. I learned to stand up for myself and demand satisfaction. I wouldn't settle with "because I say so" or "because THEY said so". Then I discovered HypnoBabies.

My birth was empowering, but using HypnoBabies made me empowered before that happened. It gave me an amazing confidence. It also has a fear release script. Every fear I had about birth, I was able to give away and let go of. I walked into the birth without any fears or worries. I knew my body. I knew what I wanted. I knew what I was capable of. And when I pushed that baby boy out of me, I showed everyone else that I knew what I was talking about.

Fears are to be expected. But you have to find a way to not let those fears control you. You do that, and you will have regrets. We need to make decisions based off of facts and gut instincts (mother's intuition).

We're here to help you with any questions or concerns you have. So please stick around and let us do what we can. Good luck!

My Ovulation Chart

May 27th, 2010, 10:07 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Hi Laurel I'm also "doing my research" in preparation for the next baby. I haven't decided whether I want a VBAC or not (leaning towards trying, but want to see what my OB's stance is when we talk seriously about it). I totally understand your fears... the tearing is a big fear of mine. I agree with the others that given your history, you would most likely have the best of luck with a midwife the next time around. Good luck making your decision!

May 31st, 2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks so much ladies for all the info. I'm going to talk to my doctor to see if she knows of any OBs or midwives that will do VBA2C so I have everything lined up. I really appreciate all the advice.

May 31st, 2010, 05:59 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
We're in the same boat. I totally understand doing research now. I've got tons and tons of bookmarks about labor, delivery, vbac, vbmc for here in the U.S. I hope you find the info you're looking for so you can make an informed decision!

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

May 31st, 2010, 07:15 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wendy - your story is so inspiring!

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
June 1st, 2010, 06:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Thanks! I always hope it can be, and that's why I share it.

My Ovulation Chart

June 2nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Laurel I am glad you asre here and hope you stick around the board!

Have you talked to your current OB about the chance of a VBA2C yet? Maybe he will suprise you but if you get a "no" you can ask if he knows anyone in the medical community that does them. Not really sure about how health care works in Canada.

But that is a really good suggestion to call Midwives! Maybe even ask Brandy from the PR if she knows anyone in your area.

I can understand your fears about having a big baby...Lincoln was a hoss!!! But, as a friend, do you think his size was b/c you had unhealthy eating habits at the time? I know you have done some amazing work and are like the incredible shinking woman! Maybe just the healthy habits you now have would make a more average size baby...is that how it works? IDK But it is something to think about.

And your fear of failing....yes c/s are no walk in the park but if your VBAC does not work out at least you know what to expect from a section...that does make things a little less scary.

I am excited for you!!!! Hopefully you and DF will get a little honeymoon suprise

June 2nd, 2010, 02:10 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Kixs*~ View Post
I know you have done some amazing work and are like the incredible shinking woman! Maybe just the healthy habits you now have would make a more average size baby...is that how it works? IDK But it is something to think about.
It's a good thought! And totally true re: incredible shrinking woman.
To anyone who hasn't seen a picture of Laurel recently, SHE'S AN EXTREMELY HOT MAMA.
...And now I'll make way for someone else to leave actual advice.
June 2nd, 2010, 03:21 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A woman's body size does not indicate the size of the baby at birth, but if that momma was overdoing the carbs during pregnancy, or was insulin resistant, even in the absence of GD, then yes diet could make a difference on the size of the baby.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 3rd, 2010, 08:44 PM
Jenna...I have a girl crush on you.

Nikki, that's what I've thought as well, now that I'm healthier I'll have a normal size baby not a mammoth. LOL! Although I think Lincoln was so huge because of his daddy who is 6'5'' and I'm no shorty either, 5'9''. You're inspirational too, I envy you for your VBAC.

June 4th, 2010, 10:33 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie-lox View Post
You're inspirational too, I envy you for your VBAC.
Now I think I have a crush on you Laurel

BTW I never knew DF was so darn tall!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search