Had my VBAC meeting with the Dr this morning...

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
and it went great!!

He is VERY supportive! He didn't see any reason why I shouldn't try for a Vbac since I have had 2 successful vaginal deliveries already :-)

We talked about a possible induction (due to the fact that I live 2 hrs from the hospital) but it all depends on how my cervix looks. He will NOT induce unless my cervix is favorable. Ideally he would like for me to go into labor on my own, but does not what me to drive to SF's while I'm in labor. So IF I have someone that I could live with (in SF's) for a week or 2 (near labor) that would be great. But understands that that might not be possible. So that is when he talked about a POSSIBLE induction.

The Hospital there , Suprisingly, only sees about 3-5 Vbacs a month, but the majority of them have been successful. ( He is also the head of the Quality Assurance board, so views all of the negative info).

He might not be the Dr that will deliver my baby (depending on when I go into labor) but it would be one of the other 2 high risk Drs there. IF I do have complications during my Vbac and NEED to have a C/S. He said that I would be in the OR and delivering with in a matter of minutes. But he doesn't see that being an issue.

He would prefer that I be on the moniter the through the whole delivery, but that I have the right to refuse that if I won't. He would prefer that I have an IV in, but is fine with a Hep Lock :-) IF I need PIT then I will have one on one nurse care with being on the moniter continuesly. He does not want me up walking the halls but can be up in my room. He does not recommend eating but can have fluids (this is mainly because of IF I end up needing a C/S)...

um... I think that's it for now.. I can't remember of hand what all else he said.. but it's in my notes :-) He also looked at my uterus (where my scar is) and said that it looked nice and thick :-)

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)

Last edited by Jara; August 2nd, 2010 at 07:37 PM.
August 3rd, 2010, 07:43 AM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
I see you live in Iowa. Are you going to Sioux Falls to deliver? I live in Minnesota and am attempting my VBAC in Sioux Falls (which is 100 miles from my home). Just curious if that's what you mean by SF. If so and you deliver at the same place I'm delivering at there is a place across the street from the hospital that you could stay at. It's like a Ronald McDonald House and it's where I'm staying at right now.
August 3rd, 2010, 07:56 AM
Yep.. I will be Delievering at Sanford in Sioux Falls :-) I know where the Ronald Mcdonald house is there.. but didn't know about the other place. Will you send me some info on it?

I do have some friends that live there.. but don't really know what I would do with my other children during that time..

I see that you live in Marshall :-) My SIL lives there.. and we were just up there this past weekend camping at their farm. :-)

August 3rd, 2010, 08:11 AM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
I am delivering at Avera McKennan, so I'm not sure what Sanford has besides the Ronald McDonald House. Here at Avera they said I can't stay at the Ronald McDonald House unless someone is staying with me (and I am by myself during the week). So that wasn't an option for me, but they have this place called the Walsh Family Village which is right next to the Ronald McDonald House at Avera. That's where I am staying. It's all donation based. They said we could pay a donation to stay here, choose charity assistance or pay what we can when we leave. So we said we would pay what we can when we leave. It's really nice here though. I don't know if Sanford has anything similar. You could call the Social Service department at Sanford and ask them.
August 3rd, 2010, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the info :-) I'll do some looking to see what I can find :-)

August 3rd, 2010, 10:00 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I wouldn't even let him induce until your 42w. Did you ask how long he'd be willing to let you go before inducing?
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

August 3rd, 2010, 12:19 PM
He didn't say that he WOULD induce me. He was fine with what ever I wanted to do. He's main concern was me going into labor and then having to drive 2 hours to get to him. He just wanted to let be what he thought I should do, but said that it's my choice in the end.

August 3rd, 2010, 01:49 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well your lucky because Sanford has a better record than Avera for delivering successful VBACs. I know first hand that is where I had me second and third c/s. I think you'll do fine because you already have 2 vaginal deliveries behind you should do fine

August 3rd, 2010, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
Well your lucky because Sanford has a better record than Avera for delivering successful VBACs. I know first hand that is where I had me second and third c/s. I think you'll do fine because you already have 2 vaginal deliveries behind you should do fine
I agree... AND 2hrs is no big deal honestly. It's rare to have a 2hr labor.

August 3rd, 2010, 08:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Sounds like a great appointment!

My Ovulation Chart

August 3rd, 2010, 08:29 PM
Your right a 2 hr drive is not that big of a deal when in labor.. but you also have to consider that I have 3 other children that I will need to get dropped off at the places they will be going. SO the 2 hr drive will probably turn into 4 before I get to the hospital.

My last labor from the time my water wasvbroken to the time I started to deliver baby A was approx 6 hrs.

August 3rd, 2010, 08:49 PM
Nickswife2004's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yay that you're appointment went well!

I have quick labors too 4-6 hours tops. With my second we were an hour away from the hospital, and my the time that I realized (or rather stopped denying) I was in labor, and got everything for my daughter together and got her dropped off it was closer to 1.5 -2 hours. I was in MAJOR pain. It wasn't very comfortable! My water broke 15 minutes after getting there and I was dialated to 6-7cm!

August 4th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jara View Post
Your right a 2 hr drive is not that big of a deal when in labor.. but you also have to consider that I have 3 other children that I will need to get dropped off at the places they will be going. SO the 2 hr drive will probably turn into 4 before I get to the hospital.

My last labor from the time my water wasvbroken to the time I started to deliver baby A was approx 6 hrs.
Girl! I know all about kids! *points to siggy* The hospital I delivered at is an hour from my house w/o any Atlanta traffic.... now... I don't know if you've ever been to Atlanta but.... Trust me, I feel you! Also, sitting in a car for 2hrs while in labor is NO fun!

August 10th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's great, sounds like you had a really good appointment!

and introducing Julia Pearl
August 10th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Jaci's Avatar I AM a Doula :)
Dood, I drove 10 minutes to the hospital (granted, it was in transition!) and that was enough for me!

Anyway, I'm glad the appt went well! Mostly I just piped in because darn there are a lot of MN mamas here on the VBAC board!

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my siggie!

Our Family Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search