What would you do?

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2010, 12:26 AM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've looked into hospitals in this area that support VBACs. Here's the ones I consider possibilities...

1. Where I delivered DS. Staff was amazing, facility was great. They're supposedly very "natural friendly" but I didn't feel like they did a lot to help me try different things to get him out. They won't be allowing VBACs until this fall. My current doctor has privileges there and at hospital #2. Has a level 2 NICU and is very close to hospital #2 where there is a level 1 NICU.

2. Has offered VBACs for several years. Doesn't have the best reviews from ICAN members, but SIL delivered (VBAC) there and was very happy.

3. Small town hospital that is known for it's high VBAC rates. It's at least a 30 minute drive to a major hospital including one with a NICU. 6 years ago, my SIL had a horrible experience there. They've had a LOT of changes there, including new ownership since then.

4. Major out-of-network hospital with phenomenal VBAC rates, but can be up to two hours to get there in traffic (going in the opposite direction from family, doula, etc). Huge network of midwives and OBs that are super supportive of VBAC. Top choice of local ICAN members, but I think distance wise, it's probably out of my comfort zone.

Hospitals #1 and #2 are about 30 minutes Southwest of my home, just a few miles from my parents' home (they will be watching DS while I'm delivering) and closest to my doula (although, she said she'd go wherever I pick).

Hospital #3 is 30 minutes Northeast of my home (and very close to my brother and SIL's home). About an hour drive for my parents and doula.

Hospital #4 is 1-2 hours (depending on traffic) away.

If you were me, which would you consider? Are there any of these you'd surely rule out?

August 5th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would go with Number 2 since it already has a good a vbac history and your sil at least had a good experience there. Number 1 would be my second choice, but since it isn't allowing vbac until fall I would be concerned that something would come up and they would go back to no vbac or perhaps the staff would be less knowledgeable at helping with a vbac delivery vs. #2 which I would assume they would have more experience.
August 5th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Thank you! As it stands, that's how I'm leaning. I'm a little torn, because #3 and #4 have higher success rates. I know I have a lot of time to figure it out.

August 6th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I'm the exact opposite. My first choice would be #3, and then #4, then #1, then #2. Here's why...

2 - A small town hospital will have more personable staff, there will be fewer patients. They have a very high success rate with VBAC's. You're close to your brother, and can always drop off Liam with them until your parents show up to take him. My only concern is your sisters experience with them. But a tour of the hospital, and a chat with the nurses could fix that issue. Also, what were your sister's issues? Are they issues that would apply to you? Was it just a rotten nurse? A dirty hospital? Or was it something that would be an issue for everyone? She's one voice against the majority, so there has to be a reason for the popularity.

4 - Yes, 2 hours can be a long drive, but I did it, and it was completely worth it. I would do it again, and even drive further if I had to. The hospital sounds amazing, all the ICAN'ers rave about it - so that means a LOT. And, you can always take Liam with you on the way to the hospital. You're parents are only going to be 30 minutes behind you. Chances are that you aren't going to deliver so fast that you wouldn't spend at least that much time just in processing. Or, you can do what I did. Once labor started, and it was really labor, I waited until family arrived to watch my boys, then headed towards the hospital. Then I stayed in a hotel until I was really, really in labor. And even then, I still had 6 more hours before I delivered Donovan. But, it's out of network, so that means it would be more expensive, right? That would be a bigger issue than the distance to me.

1 - They're going to be new to VBAC's. That would make me nervous. They're going to be implementing all kinds of rules and policies that they wont really know if they're needed. They're going to be super cautious, and chances are it will be a few years before they stop being cesarean-happy. It's a new thing for them, a lot of people will be watching to see what happens. They probably wont want to take any chances. Yes, you like the staff and doctor, but you need more than that for a good VBAC.

2 - Sure, your sister had a VBAC there....but if all the ICAN'ers are saying it's not good, there's a reason for it. It would just make me too nervous.

Have fun making your decision!
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, & expecting #5

August 8th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Also, what were your sister's issues? Are they issues that would apply to you? Was it just a rotten nurse? A dirty hospital? Or was it something that would be an issue for everyone?
She delivered there almost 7 years ago, the hospital has been bought out since then and is under all new management. The old doctors aren't even practicing there anymore. I just have this huge mental block with them because of her experience. The facility was sparse. Her room was also used for storage, so nurses were constantly coming in and out but never checked on her. One nurse was sitting at the desk doing a crossword puzzle, when my brother went out to ask for something, she snapped at him, continued with a puzzle for a few minutes, then got around to helping out. My SIL was told she could get out of the bed, but had to stay next to the bed and couldn't walk at all. There was a birthing ball in the room, but she was told she couldn't use it because it wasn't ordered by her doctor. I'm sure this isn't the case anymore, but like I said, I just have this mental block.

Quote:
But, it's out of network, so that means it would be more expensive, right? That would be a bigger issue than the distance to me.
Yeah, that's a big concern for me. I have private insurance, it already doesn't cover a lot and would cover significantly less there.

I've momentarily considered HBAC, but WA isn't particularly HBAC friendly. If I needed to be transferred to a hospital, I would just get dropped off at the ER. It's sort of a weird underground thing here. HB in general, aren't illegal, but from what I've gathered HBAC, is frowned upon.

Quote:
but if all the ICAN'ers are saying it's not good, there's a reason for it
I honestly haven't read one actual criticism of that hospital, but people have suggested choosing the hospitals in the North Sound rather than this one. I have yet to actually read about a bad experience.

August 8th, 2010, 04:20 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyD View Post
I'm the exact opposite. My first choice would be #3, and then #4, then #1, then #2. Here's why...

2 - A small town hospital will have more personable staff, there will be fewer patients. They have a very high success rate with VBAC's. You're close to your brother, and can always drop off Liam with them until your parents show up to take him. My only concern is your sisters experience with them. But a tour of the hospital, and a chat with the nurses could fix that issue. Also, what were your sister's issues? Are they issues that would apply to you? Was it just a rotten nurse? A dirty hospital? Or was it something that would be an issue for everyone? She's one voice against the majority, so there has to be a reason for the popularity.

4 - Yes, 2 hours can be a long drive, but I did it, and it was completely worth it. I would do it again, and even drive further if I had to. The hospital sounds amazing, all the ICAN'ers rave about it - so that means a LOT. And, you can always take Liam with you on the way to the hospital. You're parents are only going to be 30 minutes behind you. Chances are that you aren't going to deliver so fast that you wouldn't spend at least that much time just in processing. Or, you can do what I did. Once labor started, and it was really labor, I waited until family arrived to watch my boys, then headed towards the hospital. Then I stayed in a hotel until I was really, really in labor. And even then, I still had 6 more hours before I delivered Donovan. But, it's out of network, so that means it would be more expensive, right? That would be a bigger issue than the distance to me.

1 - They're going to be new to VBAC's. That would make me nervous. They're going to be implementing all kinds of rules and policies that they wont really know if they're needed. They're going to be super cautious, and chances are it will be a few years before they stop being cesarean-happy. It's a new thing for them, a lot of people will be watching to see what happens. They probably wont want to take any chances. Yes, you like the staff and doctor, but you need more than that for a good VBAC.

2 - Sure, your sister had a VBAC there....but if all the ICAN'ers are saying it's not good, there's a reason for it. It would just make me too nervous.

Have fun making your decision!
Ditto I couldn't have said it better!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search