Joshua Riley's Birth Story (x-posted)

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2010, 07:47 PM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
I figure I better write Josh's birth story before I forget everything. Friday, August 6th I had a doctor appointment in the morning. I was still 5cm and 100% effaced. The doctor said I have a favorable cervix, so he would break my water that day if we wanted him to. They put me on the monitor for 1/2 hour just to see if I was having any contractions and not feeling them. Well I wasn't having any contractions. DH and I decided we were ready for the baby to come so we would let the doctor break my water that day. So we called the parents and siblings and let them know what was going on.

At 1pm we checked in to the hospital. Did all the paperwork (even though we pre-registered there was still a ton of other paperwork to do). At 2:20pm the doctor came in and broke my water. The contractions started coming within the next 1/2 hour or so. They were tolerable. I was determined to go as long as possible with no pain medication and if I wanted anything I would try the stadol (sp?). I had a bad epidural experience with DS1, so I really didn't want another epidural.

After an hour of lying in bed I needed to get up, my butt was getting numb. The nurse brought me a birthing ball to sit on, shaped like an egg. I sat on that until about 4:30pm. DH noticed my contractions were getting really close together, almost no breaks. I told DH to page the nurse and tell her I wanted the Stadol pain medication. The nurse came in and I told her I had the shakes. She said she was getting excited because usually when patients get the shakes it means things are progressing well. She said she needed to check me before I could get the Stadol. She checked me and said I was 7cm dialated. I thought okay I'm making progess, but definitely want the pain meds. Laying down in bed was making the contractions way more painful. The contractions were getting really strong and much much closer together.

Around 4:45pm she got the stadol. She said one shot goes in the IV and then when that takes effect then they give a shot in the leg so that kicks in later and lasts longer. So she put it in my IV and then I literally was like OMG I have to push. I could barely breath through the contractions. They were so strong and one on top of the other, literally. I felt like I had to poop! I didn't poop though, it was just the pushing feeling. She said well I'd better check you. As soon as she did she got on the phone. Suddenly there was 10 people in the room. She said my doctor was 20 minutes away, but the on-call doctor would come in for the mean time. She kept telling me not to push and I was like I can't help it!

At 4:50pm they had the room set up for the delivery and I was starting to push. The pain medication hadn't even kicked in yet, and I never go the second shot in my leg. I remember I kept whispering drugs, because they hadn't kicked in yet. At 5:18pm Joshua Riley was born. He weighed 6lbs 12oz and was 19 1/2" long. I got to hold him on my chest right away and held him for like 20 minutes while they stitched me up. I had a 2nd degree tear. They asked if DH wanted to cut the cord and I was like yes he does! DH and I hadn't even got the chance to talk about it. I made him do it, even though he did want to. It just all happened so fast.

While they were stitching me up is when the stadol pain medication finally kicked in, but I didn't need it anymore. My doctor came in right before Joshua was born and he just stood in the back and watched. When I was in recovery the doctor said he thought I had a less than 50% chance of having a VBAC (Vaginal birth after C-Section). Then he said that they should start a VBAC Mom of the week award and that I should be the first to receive it. From the time they broke my water at 2:20pm to the time Josh was born at 5:18pm was 2 hours and 58 minutes. I knew it was going to be a quick labor, but I thought 7 hours would be quick, not 3! I still can't believe how fast it all went. I am proud of myself for achieving a VBAC and for such a quick labor with basically no pain medication. I think that pretty much sums up Josh's birth story. Here are a few pics.

I have purple lips in the last picture because I had a popsicle.
August 14th, 2010, 01:09 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Woot!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 14th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
That's fantastic! So fast, that's great. Congratulations on your VBAC again. You're baby is beautiful!!

My Ovulation Chart

August 14th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's so exciting!!! Congratulations!!!

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
August 14th, 2010, 10:13 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Beautiful!
September 12th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Woohoo! Way to go, congrats on your VBAC!

and introducing Julia Pearl

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search