question

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Karri1975's Avatar Super Mommy
I had a c-section with my first delivery. I wasn't induced, I labored for over 12 hours without dilating past 3 and the baby's heart rate was dropping really low so I had the c-section.
I am due with baby #2 in Feb. My OB asked me if I was having another c-section and I said yes. I hadn't really thought about it. I had no problems with the first one and was actually very pain free during recovery.
I have not talked to my ob about a v-bac because I don't know that much about it. What is the benifit? Obviously the risk is another emergency c-section. But I guess I was wondering what made everyone here decide that a v-bac was best for them? I want to look at all my options and whats best for me and the baby. I have no problem getting another c-section but I want to know more about v-bac first.
Thanks

August 15th, 2010, 12:06 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For me VBAC seemed right. In the research I read it seemed that the risk of major abdominal suregry was not worth it if I coudl avoid it. Also, babies born by elective c-section are more likely to require a NICU stay than those born vaginally. Another reason was that c-section babies are more likely to die from respiratory distress, even weeks after birth. The risk just didn't seem worth it.

I also knew that I wanted more children. With each c-section the risk to future pregnancies increases. Some of the complications are pretty significant.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 15th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Hi! Thanks for stopping by to ask questions.

Like you, I had very comfortable cesareans, with only needing motrin for pain relief afterwards. For the next birth, I wanted a VBAC, but it wasn't a big deal. So when my doctor suggested I do another cesarean, I agreed without much consideration.

However, it turns out it was a bigger deal than I realized. I suffered from severe PPD and PTSD because of it. And with my next pregnancy I ended up with and anterior placenta and partial previa. Both of those were a direct result of having cesareans. For some reason the placenta is attracted to the scar. So it's not uncommon for a prior cesarean mom to end up with them. But, I was lucky. My placenta moved up and away from my scar. That doesn't always happen. It often stays at the scar site, and then embeds into it. That is a very scary thing. And those complications are just from having a previous cesarean, and have nothing to do with choosing a VBAC.

I did a lot of research about things during my third pregnancy. I learned of the true risks of a cesarean. To both me and my baby. I learned of the real risks of a VBAC, again to both. The benefits of VBAC and risk of cesarean were far greater than the risk of VBAC and the benefits of cesarean.

One of the greatest reasons I wanted a VBAC were for my mental health. Another big one was that when I went into labor, I knew it was because my child was ready to be born.

If for some reason I would ever need another cesarean, I would not schedule it. I would wait until I went into labor, and then let the doctor know it was time. The baby gets so much good from going through labor, that it's worth it to me.

I'm sorry your last birth didn't go as you planned. How many weeks were you when you were induced? What was the reason for the induction? Did they try anything to get you to dilate more, or just pitocin and time?

Good luck with making your decision. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

August 15th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Karri1975's Avatar Super Mommy
I wasn't induced. They tried a few things to get me to dilate, I don't remember much about the labor, I had a really high fever because of meconium. They tried different positions and manipulating me in different ways but the ob said I just wouldn't dilate. I don't know if I would for this baby or not.
This is my last child, for sure, so if I do have the cs it will be 2nd and last.
DD did end up in nicu because of her heart, her lungs were great, she was more than full term!
I have been reading a lot about vbac and will talk to my ob about it. I'm just worried if the next labor is anything like the first one that the danger to the baby is to great. If I had not had a cs with DD she probably would have died before she was born, her heart rate was dropping very low and she was also born with the fever.

August 15th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Oh, sorry. I went back and read your post wrong. I thought you'd written I *was* induced. Not wasn't. Oops!

Well, knowing this is your last child, that does take some of those considerations away.

Do they know what caused the fever and heart problems? I think I'd need to know the answers to that first. Because, no labor is every the same. So just because you didn't dilate this time, doesn't mean you wont the next time. If you're worried about the baby, the only risk (other than the normal ones for any childbirth) would be for the same thing to occur again. See if it was childbirth/vaginal birth related, or just a fluke.

If it was just one of those things, then I think the benefits to VBAC'ing would be greater than the risk. But, if it's something that would probably happen again, then the cesarean might be the way to go.

August 18th, 2010, 06:07 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Did your doctor mention her position? And did your water break early in the labor? What you're describing sounds to me like fetal malpositioning - which is generally a fluke and unlikely to happen again. There are also things you can do in your third trimester to encourage good fetal positioning.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search