Had a Dr. Apt tonight

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Kayla0308's Avatar Veteran
So i wanted your thoughts on my progress so far. I had an apt tonight, and I'm 1cm dialated and 20-30% effaced. I'm 36 weeks right now so only 4 left. Do you girls think i'm gonna make enough progress with this one to have her vaginally?

With my son i got stuck at 5cm, and he got distressed - hence the c-section. I just dont want this happening again

Mark and Kayla
Jasmine-7, Eamon-4, Zaylee-1
August 26th, 2010, 08:04 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no idea. Cervical checks ar really meaningless. I was checked on a Thursday, 0 cm with a hgih floating baby. On Sat. I started to have some mild contrations, at 11 pm they got stronger, she was born at 3 am, after only four hours of active labor.

You could be 4 cm and walk around that wya for weeks, Or you can be high and closed and have a baby 10 hours later.

What were the circumtances of your son's birth?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 27th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
LIke Meghan said, cervical checks really don't mean anything. However, since you are already dilating a bit, and effacing, then it sounds like your body knows what it needs to do.

Could you explain the circumstances around your getting stuck? What position were you in? What did they do to help you get unstuck? Did you have an epidural? How long had you been in labor for? How long were you stuck? Did they have an explanation for why your son was in distress? How long was he in distress?

August 27th, 2010, 04:56 PM
So my son was induced at 39 weeks, They were estimating his weight at over 8lbs and because i'm not a big woman myself they didnt want me to try and have a baby any bigger then the 8lbs he was already estimated at. I was induced at 9 am on March 8th 2007, They started with pitocin, i didn't really feel any contractions, once i hit 3cm they said i could have the eppidural So i took it not knowing any better (I was 20), he did good for a while, my water broke when a nurse was checking me again. His heartrate dropped to 86 before my water broke and then again around 9pm. Once it happened again they decided that a c-section was best for him and me, he was born at 11:13pm. So i was in labor for about 14+ hours with him. His pregnancy was great never any issues. But once i was stuck at a 5, they never tried to get me any further, never gave me any more meds or tried something new. He was head down face down, the cord was wrapped around his neck twice though - they said that may have played a part in his being distressed.

I know the being dialated means pretty much nothing, I'm just so scared that i'm gonna get stuck again and I'll have to have another c-section and i really really dont want that

Mark and Kayla
August 28th, 2010, 12:09 AM
You got 'stuck' because he wasn't ready to be born, not because there is anything wrong with you at all! There was no really good reason for them to induce you. Your c-section was due to a failed induction.

Do you know how much pitocin you received? Did they tell you that epidurals cause fetal distres, as do extra strong contractions caused by too much pitocin?

When you say stuck, was it that you had stopped contracting? Or just not dilating? How long were you stuck? I am guessing they didn't have you reposition and they probably couldn't have had you on hands and knees because of the epidural.

I think you can do this with no problem. A failed indcution does NOT mean you can't have a vaginal birth. It means you have to trust your body can do it. You have to KNOW tha tyour body will not grow a baby bigger than you can deliver. There is a woman on the NCB board that is pretty tiny, under 5 ft 4 inches that delivered a baby over 10 pounds, all natural. Don't let the docs scare you!!!!

And please don't take our questions as attacking or anything, we just want to understand so we can know what kind of things you might need to talk about

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 29th, 2010, 12:49 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmeg76 View Post
you got 'stuck' because he wasn't ready to be born, not because there is anything wrong with you at all! There was no really good reason for them to induce you. Your c-section was due to a failed induction.

Do you know how much pitocin you received? Did they tell you that epidurals cause fetal distres, as do extra strong contractions caused by too much pitocin?

When you say stuck, was it that you had stopped contracting? Or just not dilating? How long were you stuck? I am guessing they didn't have you reposition and they probably couldn't have had you on hands and knees because of the epidural.

I think you can do this with no problem. A failed indcution does not mean you can't have a vaginal birth. It means you have to trust your body can do it. You have to know tha tyour body will not grow a baby bigger than you can deliver. There is a woman on the ncb board that is pretty tiny, under 5 ft 4 inches that delivered a baby over 10 pounds, all natural. Don't let the docs scare you!!!!

And please don't take our questions as attacking or anything, we just want to understand so we can know what kind of things you might need to talk about
ita!! :d
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

Last edited by The Purple Butterfly; August 29th, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
August 29th, 2010, 01:12 PM
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...aterbirth.html (Sam's hypnobabies waterbirth) This is Sam's birth story. His mom is Kristen, and I can't remember how tall she is but I know she is shorter thanI am, I am 5 ft 5 inches. You can send her a PM and ask her. But, the point is she had an amazing birth to a good size baby. Don't let them pull the 'big baby' card.

Things you should do:
find a local ICAN chapter
join the ICAN yahoo group
read positive birth stories, particularly VBAC stories
watch this video: YouTube - Question CPD
read these two websites: Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC) | International Cesarean Awareness Network VBAC Facts

Sail Back to Me
August 29th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was pretty sure she is barely 5 feet tall - maybe 5' 1".

September 1st, 2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks girls, Sorry it took me so long to get back on here. Things got a little crazy at home!

I donno how much pitocin they gave me and as far as being stuck i just stopped dialating. I didn't know any thing about having a baby and didn't know to ask with my son. I was young and thought that everything was going to be good and work like it was supposed to. Had i known that having them induce him a week early would have ment a c-section i wouldn't have done it.

Now i know with this one to just wait it out. But my dr told me if i hit 40 weeks and am not progresssing that she wants to do a c-section. But i dont see why, I have a girlfriend who was almost 41 weeks when she had her daughter by c-section with no meds or anything at all. I'm trying to stay so positive about this. I'm down to 3 weeks left so I'm hoping all goes well. I've had A LOT of contractions today - well pretty much all day. So I'm hoping when i go in for my dr apt tomorrow that maybe there is a slight change - if they check me but i donno if they are going to. I hate to be a burden to people so i dont wanna ask again (since i had to at my last apt) if they will check me, cause i'll just feel bad if things haven't changed!

Mark and Kayla
September 12th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Girl, don't worry about being a burden... if you want to ask, ASK! You're paying for their service, and the customer is always right!

I see it's been a few days, any updates? I'm wishing you good luck!

and introducing Julia Pearl

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search