Making vbac decision

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2010, 07:38 PM
Super Mommy
I have to make a decision to have vbac or scheduled c section. My really want a vbac because my previous two vaginal births were really simple even though i was induced with both. I think i birthed within 3 to 4 hours from beginning to end. My last delivery was by c section 6 1/2 years ago due to my son being breech. I'm 27 weeks so i really have to make this decision quickly. The hardest part is switching from an ob i've had for 12 years and has delivered all of my children to an ob that i really like but i don't know very well. Oh yeah, i'll be switching to a completely different hospital also. I had a really hard time with the pain of my c section since i'd never had surgery before so i would really love to vbac. The new ob is very confident i will have a successful vbac delivery but every nurse i know has tried to strongly discourage me from having a vbac. A couple of people have acted like i'm sentencing my baby and myself to a death for even contemplating having one. I have done so much research, read internet studied till i can't see straight. Does anyone offer any advise? A couple of these nurses actually work in labor and delivery right now so i don't know why they are so discouraging of vbac's.

September 3rd, 2010, 10:53 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know the feeling - my DH is a doctor and he is against me trying for a VBAC. He even tried to show me an article to prove how dangerous they are but it only proved my point.

Basically, 2/3 of women who attempt a VBAC are successful. And the rates of uterine rupture are very low. Even ACOG recommends that most women be given a chance to try for a VBAC (there are specific instances where they don't recommend it but for most women it is). Don't let the naysayers get your down if you really want a VBAC, do what you think is best for yourself and your baby.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
September 3rd, 2010, 11:54 PM
~Lindsay~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_baby View Post
I know the feeling - my DH is a doctor and he is against me trying for a VBAC. He even tried to show me an article to prove how dangerous they are but it only proved my point.

Basically, 2/3 of women who attempt a VBAC are successful. And the rates of uterine rupture are very low. Even ACOG recommends that most women be given a chance to try for a VBAC (there are specific instances where they don't recommend it but for most women it is). Don't let the naysayers get your down if you really want a VBAC, do what you think is best for yourself and your baby.
definitely could not have said it any better. Good luck with your decision!

September 4th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I'm sorry that people are getting you down. In my opinion, the only reason why they do that, is because they've seen one really bad case, or they heard false information that scared them. Many of us attempting a VBAC have heard the same thing, if not more from the very people we expected to be the most supportive. It really is disheartening.

I know you like your old OB and hospital. But it is totally worth the move. The new OB sounds great, and is right. You are a GREAT candidate for a VBAC. There is no reason why you should have surgery again.

I do wonder why you were induced both times before, though. I ask because, in general, doctors don't induce VBAC patients. There are safe ways to do it, but many are of the opinion of spontaneous labor or cesarean.

Don't let anyone talk you out of what you want and know is best for you! Good luck! Please stick around and let us know how it goes!

September 4th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Super Mommy
The new doc told me he would not induce me, i would have to go into labor on my own to have vbac, which to be honest with you is completely new for me even though this is my fourth child. I was induced with my first two and then had c section on third. I was much younger when i had my first child and was not as informed as i am now so basically i guess my doc induced me with him because i was already dialated to 5 cm and he thought he would be bigger baby, he was 8 lb 2oz, then on my second child i was induced for reason i don't know either, maybe convience of the doc, i'm not sure. I know i had some swelling towards the end of pregnancy so maybe that was the reason. I really wish i would have known then what i know now, i just let my doc make all the decisions for me. The new ob was disappointed to hear my other ob took my son by c section for being breech when i was only 37 weeks pregnant. He said there was a great possibity he would have turned on his own in another couple weeks. I honestly did not think we would ever have another child, we said we were done after the third so i didn't think i would be in the position of making these choices. Makes me angry at myself for not being well informed at the time.

September 4th, 2010, 08:00 PM
us_four's Avatar Kristian... mommy of 2!!!
i am definitely doing a vbac

September 5th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
We always are smarter when we look back. My first son was breech, and they took him at 38 weeks. I look back and get sad that they didn't wait and hope for the best. But, I was a young new mom, and just so excited to have my first baby, I agreed to any and everything.

It sounds like you have a great new OB!!

September 10th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Seanaci's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Seanaci Send a message via MSN to Seanaci
I'd go with a VBAC...especially since you have the support of the new doctor. Don't let the nurses or others try to talk you out of a VBAC. You're a well informed mama now, and know the risks.

Go for VBAC!!
September 12th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the switch is definitely worth it!!! I hope you get your VBAC!

and introducing Julia Pearl

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search