I have a somewhat "personal" question!

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Hunter&Kinzley'sMomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Ok, so I have finally gotten up the courage to ask. After I ask the question, I will explain my reason for asking! This a personal question, If you have had a VBAC, how much did you weigh when you got pregnant?

Here is my reason, I was 263 pounds the day I had my son. Long story short I had a c-section. I feel like the reason for my c-section had a lot to do with my weight (developed Pre-E and was induced at 38wks2days) Anyways, I have discussed with my doctor that if I got down to 140 (my goal weight) he would let me have a VBAC, permitting everything was progressing normally and so on. I am at 163 right now and am worried that If I get pregnant again the same thing will happen next time around! I realize that I lost 100 pounds but I am still "considered" overweight. I just want to make sure that weight is not a huge factor in determining whether I can attempt a VBAC or not. If you have made it this far, thanks for reading!
September 14th, 2010, 12:41 AM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
I weighed 138 when I got pregnant. I'm not sure if weight is a concern when having a VBAC or natural birth at that.
September 14th, 2010, 06:35 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am 5'6 and weight about 170lb when I got pg with my VBAC baby. Weighed a little more pp with this peanut and my doctor is still suportive of me trying for another VBAC.

*BTW If anyone breaths a word about my weight to DH I will find you!!!* Seriously thought

September 14th, 2010, 08:09 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I don't think weight plays a big part in that. Medical complications such as Pre-E, yes... but I had no medical complications in all 3 pg. My 1st c/s was due to the OB's impatience. No medical reason. 2nd one, I transfered to the hospital after attempting a h/b (no complications), but they found out that I was attempting VBAC (they banned them there) and told me I had to have another c/s. I was ready to push at that stage. Then I had a VBA2C with #3. I was overweight with all 3.

I think you should find a new OB if he's telling you that in order for you to have a successful VBAC you have to be a perfect weight and all the cards need to play right. RUN! LOL BTW.... Congrats on the weight loss!!!!
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

September 14th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Thank you ladies for getting back to me!! I have considered finding a new OB, but I really like him. My weight is more of a personal concern when it comes to having a VBAC. I really wish we had a midwife birthing center here, but we do not. We do however have ONE midwife. I have considered switching to her. Thank you again for all of your honest answers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Butterflies View Post
BTW.... Congrats on the weight loss!!!!

Thank you! It has been a lot of hard work!
September 14th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Jaci's Avatar I AM a Doula :)
First, congrats on that awesome weight loss! I'm stuck at 208lbs right now and it is pretty discouraging.

Second, I was the same weight at the end of both my pregnancies, the first resulted in a c/s, the second was a VBAC. Being in shape CAN help during labor but weight is not the only factor in having a c/s or vbac!

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my siggie!

Our Family Blog
September 16th, 2010, 11:37 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Anything over 250 lbs pre-pregnancy puts you in a high risk obstetrical category. And there aren't many doctors who will do a VBAC with a high-risk patient. So telling you that weight loss was a prerequisite is not unusal IMO. But while 20 lbs over your ideal weight may be technically "overweight" - it isn't obese or morbidly obese. And that's a BIG difference. It could be that your OB said ideal weight knowing in his head that he would accept anything under 200. But if he had said to make your goal 200, you might have only made it to 220. KWIM??? The most important thing you can do regarding weight gain or loss to ensure a successful vaginal delivery (VBAC or not) is to be active and eat healthy while you're pregnant. My prepregnancy weight is about 30 lbs over what I know I should be. But while I was pregnant, I did prenatal pilates once a week and walked every single day for 30-45 minutes. I never had the "oh I'm eating for 2 mentality" though I will admit that I wouldn't be 30 lbs overweight to begin with if I had perfect eating habits But anyway, when all was said and done I gained 32 lbs. At 36 weeks pregnant, I had only gained 16 - all the rest was baby and water weight. In the last 6 weeks ofmy pregnancy in July and August, I got soooooooooo swollen. Anyhoo, on the date I delivered my daughter, I could still lie flat on my back comfortably (because my circulation was strong enough and my cardiovascular fitness was such that I could handle the baby pressing on my veins and still breathe normally. I could still sit up from lying flat on my back unassisted using only my stomach muscles. My SIL weighed 70 lbs less than me when she got pregnant and weighed 5 lbs more than my 42 week self the day she delivered her baby vaginally. So pre-pregnancy weight insn't nearly as important as pregnancy fitness and nutrition - provided that you're not in a high risk group to begin with. And even my SIL who gained over 100 lbs and couldn't get off the couch without help, delivered vaginally.

Ok that was a lot of rambling. But hopefully you understood my point?

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
September 16th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
I don't really have anything to add to this except CONGRATULATIONS! 100 pounds of loss in just a year - that is IMPRESSIVE!
September 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Thank you ladies! You are all so encouraging!! I really am hoping to get down to 140 before getting pregnant, but if it happens now, I wouldn't mind! I plan on continuing to eat right and exercise through the next pregnancy (which I obviously didn't do with my first! LOL)

Now I have another problem, maybe one of you ladies can chime in and help with my decision, even though it might not be anytime soon. I really like my OB and he has agreed that given everything is fine with baby and pregnancy I can have a VBAC. I don't know his stipulations as far as how long he would let me labor and induction and so forth. One of our hospitals here recently built a new facility (which my OB delivers at) and they have wireless monitoring and birthing balls. The only problem I have with this hospital is that baby stays in the nursery for the first few hours. The other hospital here (where my son was born and my OB previously delivered at) is expanding their women's and children's center. They will now have wireless monitoring, birthing balls, and garden tubs for labor/ birthing. Baby also stays with you the entire time, given everything is fine. When my son was born he went with me to recovery and everything, he never left my side! I really want the opportunity to bond with our next child immediately and not have to wait 4 or 5 hours. I was really thinking about switching to the midwife that delivers at this hospital! What would you do? I know the obvious answers, I just want some opinions!
September 18th, 2010, 02:20 PM
MamaMandy's Avatar is it Spring yet??
Congrats on your weight loss! 163 sounds like a pretty darn good weight to me! Fore some women, that is ideal for their height & frame, so I am curious if your OB would just go by weight, or BMI? I am 5' 6", med/large boned & was 180 when I found out I was pg, had gained 20 pounds due to a back injury & darn neurontin I was taking. I'm at 200 now, and my docs haven't said anything about my weight. Yet! Jeez, it seems we are always trying to hit the ideal, you know? Can't be too thin when pg or they'll start in about your pelvis not being big enough or whatever their term is, if you have a bit too much padding (I don't mean morbidly obese) over today's AVERAGE (and I don't mean skinny media average!) then you are too big for this or that. I know at a certain point of plus size, any kind of delivery is tough & complicated, whether it be regular vaginal, VBAC or c-section. But I can't imagine 163 would put you anywhere NEAR that category, unless you are 3 feet tall or double in size while pregnant.

Children are not little adults, but they ARE people too!

There's a reason they are called dependents...

AP is not alternative to those who see no other choice

http://helpguide.org/mental/parentin...t_disorder.htm

September 18th, 2010, 03:16 PM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
Send a message via MSN to SugarNSpice Send a message via Yahoo to SugarNSpice
Weight doesn't matter when it comes to whether or not you can have a VBAC. Any doctor who would suggest that is just trying to come up with a reason for you not to try. If ANYTHING..being overweight should be MORE of a reason to VBAC simply because being overweight put you at a higher risk when it comes to c-sections. Overweight people have higher risk of complications with surgery than average weight folks.

Being overweight has NOTHING to do with whether or not you can push a baby out and labor normally. Nothing at all. And given the weight loss you have experienced already, you should be a perfect VBAC candidate.

September 20th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Jaci's Avatar I AM a Doula :)
I just wanted to state that if I were in your position I would say that baby being away from me for that long after delivery isn't even an option. If the hospital isn't willing to budge on that, I would change hospitals.

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my siggie!

Our Family Blog
September 20th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I was 150, and I'm 5"2. So, I wasn't in the situation you were in. Congratulations on your weight loss. That is fantastic!!

As for the nursery rule. If they aren't willing to budge - and they should, it's your child and it doesn't have to go ANYWHERE you don't want it to go - then I wouldn't care about what doctor delivered me, I'd go to the other hospital.

September 24th, 2010, 05:24 AM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
Congrats on your weight loss!

I have been in the "overweight" category with my kids, and have had successful VBAC's with 4 of them.

The one I had a c/s with, oddly enough, was the one whose pregnancy I started out UNDERWEIGHT and I got the Pre-E with him which is why I had the c/s!
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
September 24th, 2010, 02:20 PM
~Lindsay~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats on your weight loss girl!

with my first pregnancy, I was 180 when I got pregnant, and @ 220 when I was induced for pre-eclampsia at 37 weeks, 5 days. Had her at 38 weeks.

with this pregnancy I was 170 when I got pregnant, and trying to remain under 200 lbs before I deliver.

BUT I will tell you that my uterine artery was measured in my 18 week ultrasound, and I had bilateral notches on it, apparently that increases my risk for pre-eclampsia. I was never measured for that with my first pregnancy, and I guess its something new that they look at now. I was rescanned at 26 weeks, and she told me it looked better than my 18 week ultrasound.

SO, it just puts my dr on higher alert for pre-eclampsia for me, and if I do develop it, it means I will have a c-section and will not vbac (per dr's orders from the get-go). I think it really has more to do with that, than your weight. Who knows though.

September 24th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Thank you ladies for all of your answers and opinions!! I am going to have a talk with my OB about the hospital's policies on keeping the baby with me the entire time. If they have a problem with it, then I will switch. Thank you again ladies!!
September 30th, 2010, 06:30 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not a regular poster, but I wanted to jump in. i don't think weight has any bearing on whether or not you can deliver vaginally.

I was 275 pounds when I had my c/s. 320 pounds when I had my vbac.

I'm not saying I am a healthy weight. by any stretch, in fact morbidly obese comes to mind. But I did do it and there was not one single thing mentioned to me that I couldn't vbac because I was fat.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

September 30th, 2010, 09:21 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on the weight loss! You go girl! I would personally switch if the hospital won't budge on the baby issue. As we all have found out the hard way, does it really matter who catches? You and baby are what matters.

October 3rd, 2010, 07:39 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Many doctors have fat bias mentalities and blame obesity on a woman's in ability to birth vaginally, regardless of the truth in the statement.

It is awesome how much weight you have been able to lose, and it should be perfectly fine for you to have a VBAC. I was 170+ when I got pregnant with my 3rd VBAC baby and was able to give birth with no problems at all.

How did they diagnose your pre-e?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search