Log In Sign Up

Can't decide whether to VBAC or C-Sect


Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
September 15th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Mommy to Lil Miss Boss
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Right here...
Posts: 6,659
Hi Ladies!

I know it's very early, but I've been pondering this since the moment we started TTC

Lately I have been thinking about attempting a VBAC. I had a horrible birth with my son and am traumatized from such a hard labor. I was induced because I got sick the last week of my pregnancy, they did a non stress test which showed that it was better for baby to come out. I was also 3 days late (which is not terribly late) Anyway after 19 hours of excruciatingly painful back labor, I only dialated from 2 to 4 cm . My epidural did not work, I was exhausted and my son's heartbeat was going down so we decided to do an emergency C-section. I was put under general during my c section, DH was not even allowed in the room, which still bothers me 7 years later . I so wanted for him to be able to cut the cord

So here I am contemplating a VBAC, which terrifies me because of the whole uterine rupture risk. But I really feel like if I was never induced with my son, I would have gone int my labor on my own and had a vaginal delivery. I was alot younger then and was caught up in the 1st baby moment that I really didn't challenge anything the Drs proposed. I just figured that they did what was best for baby and mommy. It just seems that now a days Drs are so ready to induce instead of letting nature take it's course. I know so many first time moms that have been induced only to deliver by C-Section and it really bothers me

I'm at a crossroads now. I know that I absolutley do not want to be induced ever again, I do not like the idea of medicine controlling how hard and long my contractions are......I never want to experience that again. I would love to experience a water birth with this baby, my hospital even has the tubs to make this happen. I spoke with a Doula too, which was very exciting! Now I need to see if my Dr will support a VBAC. I'm ready to go into the Dr's office and firmly explain that I do not want another induction (I'll do another C-section before I let that happen again) and I also want to know how long past my due date will they allow me to go before intervening.

I guess we will have to wait and see! Thanks for listening....Sorry for the long post ladies LOL!
__________________


Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy




Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Reply With Quote
  #2  
September 15th, 2010, 04:57 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pipestone, Minnesota
Posts: 6,500
Well I hate to say is but NST have up to a 70% false positive rate. The good thing is that now most OBs won't induce. The bad news is that most OBs won't induce.
I really think inductions are way over rated and are more about the convience of the doc. I also believe this about the c/s.
If your doc isn't vbac positive fire him and find one that is. Don't forget to look out for the bait and switch. Your chances of a uterine rupture are incredibly small at .2-.4% mine after 4c/s are still at .9%. They also include those that aren't found until after baby is delivered vaginally! Those will normally heal on their own. If you go in for ercs, your risks of any number of problems is greater than the vbac.
Take your time do your research and find the decision that is right for you and your family.
__________________








Reply With Quote
  #3  
September 15th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,343
I think you should try to VBAC!!! Like the PP said, the risk of uterine rupture is very minimal! I think your hospital having tubs for L&D is a good sign that they are with the times... but I could be wrong. And yes, if your doctor isn't on board with a VBAC... find one who is!!! They are out there, my OB is very supportive of my VBACing... he actually brought it up at my first appt before I had a chance to!

And you shouldn't have to worry about an induction.... they really are a "no no" for VBACs... my doctor said the most he would do is to strip my membranes and/or break my water... and that he would let me go 2 weeks after my due date if I was comfortable with that.

I hope you get the birth of your dream!
__________________
Bri, wife to Kirk, & mother of Aidan Troy , Callen Rhys,

and introducing Julia Pearl
Reply With Quote
  #4  
September 20th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 10,838
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Hello there! Welcome to the board. I'm so sorry you had such a terrible experience with your last labor. I hope this one will be so much better for you.

If you're really thinking that you want a VBAC, and it sounds like you're very excited about it, then I think you need to go for it. Yes, uterine rupture is a risk for a VBAC, but it's really not as likely as they make it out to be. Remember, you only have a .3% chance of rupturing. And, that could be something as little as a tiny tear. Of the .3% that rupture, only about 10% of those (I really can't remember the number, but it is a small number) are catastrophic ruptures. Meaning danger to you or the baby. That is a VERY small amount. Yes, bad things could happen during a VBAC. But many complications of a repeat cesarean are more likely to happen. So, please, if the fear of rupture is what is stopping you, don't let it.

Also, if your doc says no to you having a VBAC, find a different doctor. It will be much easier to find a new doctor that it would be to convince a doctor to let you VBAC. And, if you have to go shopping for a new one, I suggest you look into a midwife.

The good thing about inductions, is that most docs wont do one on a VBAC patient. It stimulates the uterus too much. In all the old studies - you know, the ones that show a lot of ruptures - almost every rupture occurred with an induction.

Once you make a decision either way, I hope you'll come back and talk to us more. I'm sure you'll have a lot more questions, and we'll all be happy to answer them. But feel free to stick around now, too, while you're making the decision.

Good luck, and congratulations on your pregnancy!
__________________
Wendy, Mom to
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, & Jocelyn


Reply With Quote
  #5  
October 14th, 2010, 06:17 AM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 2,058
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
I think you are a good canidate and I agree, being induced probably did contribute to the c/s. If body and baby are not ready...then a c/s can end up being the result. I would suggest:

A. A doula
B. Finding a OB or Midwife who supports VBAC's and does NOT pressure you with a timeline. There are plenty of OB's who "claim" to support VBAC's but only when conditions X,Y and Z are met (not overdue, labor must prgress at a specific pace, ect.)
C. Find someone who will not make you stay in the bed. They can montior baby without strapping you down into bed.

It is hard, but there are those providers out there that do fully support it and work with the Mom! I am going with a midwife, I have found them to be more supportive. I am planning my 5th VBAC and a water birth. And I also have a doula.

Good luck!!
__________________
Heather, Mom to: Devon 17, Trevor 12, Bobby 10, Ryan 9, Breanna 8, Oliver 2
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
October 14th, 2010, 10:41 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Roberts, Wisconsin
Posts: 14,802
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
The other ladies have given you good advice. With my VBAC I planned on doing a homebirth because I couldn't find anyone who wouldn't give me a time line to follow in the beginning. I checked with my local ICAN for practitioners in the area and came up with an awesome doctor to use as a backup just in case. I ended up going into labor at 40w 5d at home, labored at home for 18 hrs, went to the hospital and got my epidural because I had been laboring for so long that I wanted it. He let me go another 25 hrs after that which included pushing for 3 hrs, because he believed in me and my body that I did not NEED a c-section. I did end up with a little pitocin because of inadequate contractions but he monitored me with that and only used the minimal amount needed. I should add too that with my epidural, the anesthesiologist made sure that I could feel my legs and could still move around if I wanted to. If I wanted to move around I just needed to have my DH and a nurse with me just in case I fell.

I think if you're really wanting a VBAC, go for it! Like flitabout said, your chance of rupture is only about .3 - .4%. Really though I think that's about the same % as someone who's on their first baby and never had their uterus cut open. Contact your local ICAN people and see if they can recommend a doc that would be what you're looking for.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
November 11th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Khara
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 1,117
I agree with what everyone here says. Definitely go for the VBAC. And you don't necessarily need to find a doctor who is supportive of it, although it is very helpful - my doctor (with my last baby) was NOT supportive of it but I insisted and was very stubborn about it. He even made me sign a form where he made all these notes about the low chances I would be sucessful, etc but I told him there was no way I was scheduling a csection. Boy did it feel great to prove him wrong when that baby came out! Doctors are scared of VBACs because of liability reasons. It's much more convenient for them to just schedule a c-section so it's pretty hard to find a doc who will support VBAC even though they will do it if you insist. Don't be affraid to be a difficult patient! In the end I think they respect you more for it.

I would recommned holding off on an epidural if you can, or if you must have one make sure they don't give you too much (like the other lady said, so you can still move around, etc). It really helps labor progress when you can feel what your body is doing I think.

I say go for the water birth! I'm thinking of trying that this time if I can find somewhere in my area where they will do it. I've heard great things about them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:34 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0