I need to vent where people will understand!

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 24th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My playroom is slowly filling with moms getting preggo again, so the endless debate is sufacing over and over. I am so sick of women saying that they have absolute faith in medical personnel that we have no reason to question them. If I hear one more person say anything about an OB being the expert so we should just sit back and follow them I might scream! No one in their right mind would accept chemo without being sure that they have cancer but women every day have their water broken because "it speeds up labor" or are tied to a bed because "CFM is the only way to keep baby safe" and are pumped full of pitocin because "the labor should be progressing quicker." GAH it's so frustrating!
September 25th, 2010, 07:29 AM
OwensMommy25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I completely understand. I get upset when people in my DDC blindly trust their doctors and are not advocates for their own healthcare. I do research and I am well informed about pregnancy, birth and post partum. I can identify when something is wrong and demand treatment. I get frustrated too. I see a midwife for my pregnancy and it helps a little knowing that I control more of my care than with a doctor.

Thanks to Pattyandthemoos For the wonderful siggy!

September 25th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know what you mean! It particularly bugs me because with my first pregnancy I had that "Doctor is the expert" idea stuck in my head and I greatly regret it now. I trusted my doctor and although I believe she is a good doctor she has too many patients and too little time. She didn't take time to listen to my concerns (and I blame myself a lot of not pressing my concerns and telling myself "she knows best"). I realize now that I have a responsibility to question and push to get the healthcare I need.

I have also been irritated that I keep coming across posts that say how they don't understand what the big deal is about having a c-section. Basically any woman who says "I had a hard recovery" or anything negative about it is being a big cry baby and needs to toughen up. That all that matters is baby got here safe so you shouldn't have any negative feelings whatsoever.

I agree baby's safety is #1 priority, but that doesn't mean that I don't feel sad that I missed out on the beautiful experience of a vaginal birth. My recovery was hard (and most real life people consider me a tough woman). I labored to 10 cm with no pain meds (and Pitocin) and the nurses said it was time to push as soon as the doctor got there. I felt like I had been successful and was thrilled everything was going so perfect. But then the doctor arrived discovered baby was breech (was always breech) and I was prepped for surgery. I am thankful that I was able to have a c-section and bring DD her safe. But I can't help but feel like all that work was for nothing. It's like training for a marathon and then running it with all your heart only to be stopped 10 yards from the finish line.

Birth (whether c-section or vaginal) is an extremely personal and emotional experience. It is unfair to assume everyone react and handle it the same.

Last edited by Neads; September 25th, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
September 25th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies, I just needed that pat on the head and a quiet reminder that I'm not crazy just in the minority.
September 27th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Oh, you're definitely not crazy! It is a shame that we (collective "we" as in American society) allow some of the most important decisions we have to make to someone else. I mean, no question, obstetricians are the experts of the subject. But just because they they went to school to learn about the stuff doesn't make them the expert on ME.

September 27th, 2010, 04:13 PM
MamaMandy's Avatar is it Spring yet??
I hear you completely. And what is scary, is that blind faith usually carries over to their child's pediatrician as well. Yes, doctors have been to school for umpteen years and have specialized knowledge. But still, usually they are essentially strangers! Why would you trust strangers over your own instincts when it comes to your body & your children's bodies? I suppose some people might think I'm the crazy one for never fully trusting med staff at face value, but this momma has lived & learned that doctors DON'T always know best, and sadly sometimes they don't even care.

Children are not little adults, but they ARE people too!

There's a reason they are called dependents...

AP is not alternative to those who see no other choice

http://helpguide.org/mental/parentin...t_disorder.htm

September 27th, 2010, 08:21 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Well, as a mom who had an induced VBAC, some of those things bother me. I did have faith in my doctor, and he gave me the option- he never forced anything on me. He offered to induce me at 40 weeks, when i was dilated to a 3, and i made the decision. My son was born in 6 hours of starting it. Not a single complication during my delivery or with my son. I know this isnt always the case, but it was for me.

But when moms get pregnant and dont even consider a VBAC, thats where i get so mad. Where they assume a repeat is automatically safer. When they dont research their options and they just take someone else's word for it.
September 28th, 2010, 03:40 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wendy I completely agree.

September 28th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream2bemommy22 View Post
Well, as a mom who had an induced VBAC, some of those things bother me. I did have faith in my doctor, and he gave me the option- he never forced anything on me. He offered to induce me at 40 weeks, when i was dilated to a 3, and i made the decision. My son was born in 6 hours of starting it. Not a single complication during my delivery or with my son. I know this isnt always the case, but it was for me.

But when moms get pregnant and dont even consider a VBAC, thats where i get so mad. Where they assume a repeat is automatically safer. When they dont research their options and they just take someone else's word for it.

That drives me insane too!

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search