Time between c/s and VBAC

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2010, 12:55 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Hi, ladies! I have not posted over here before, so here is my little intro. My name is Melissa, and I am the proud Mommy of Claire, who was born via c-section July 6th. I had spent years (literally...we had to end up doing IVF for Claire) planning a natural child birth, but Claire was stubbornly breech and wouldn't turn. I went into labor on my own at 37 weeks, and the c-section went very smoothly.

I really, REALLY want a VBAC next time, but I'm wondering about the spacing between kids. I want to try pretty soon since it took so long for me to get pregnant with Claire, and DH is already begging for another baby How far apart were your c/s and VBAC? Do you know of any articles or info about the ideal spacing between children?

Thanks in advance for any help...looking forward to getting to know you all!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

September 25th, 2010, 04:16 PM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
My first son was born March 26th, 2009 by C-Section. My second son was born by VBAC on August 6th, 2010. So about 16 months apart. I saw multiple doctor's looking for one to allow a VBAC attempt and they all told me they like to see 18 months between deliveries.
September 26th, 2010, 08:05 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
My OB wanted to see 18 months between them as well. My kids were 19 months apart. And i had a very nice, smooth induced VBAC. I was dilated to a 3 when i was induced, and it took 6 hours from the time i started Pitocin to the time my son was born.
September 26th, 2010, 11:03 AM
OwensMommy25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My midwife says the threshold is 18-24 months.

Thanks to Pattyandthemoos For the wonderful siggy!

September 26th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
From the research I've done it's safe 12 months from delivery to delivery but most vbac providers prefer 18 months from delivery to delivery.
September 26th, 2010, 07:34 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
When I researched VBACs around my area, the midwives and doctors wanted at least 12 months between births. I was told that 18 months between the births was better. We waited until Bryce was 18 months to get pregnant again though.
September 27th, 2010, 08:16 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff F. View Post
When I researched VBACs around my area, the midwives and doctors wanted at least 12 months between births. I was told that 18 months between the births was better. We waited until Bryce was 18 months to get pregnant again though.
Oh my gosh Tiff, can i tell you what a cutie Merrick is!!
September 28th, 2010, 09:06 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream2bemommy22 View Post
Oh my gosh Tiff, can i tell you what a cutie Merrick is!!
Thank you!!! Bryce and him look a lot alike! I need to get a new siggy done... I should go request that!
September 28th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I'll just ditto the other comments. 12 months from delivery to delivery. But most providers actually want 18 months between. So, that means that you should wait to get pregnant when your baby is at least 3 months old, but preferably 9 months old.

Honestly, you should probably talk to your midwife/OB and see what their timing is. I'd hate for you to start trying at 3 months, get pregnant the first time, only to find you doctor says no way unless it was 18 months.

September 29th, 2010, 10:27 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Thanks, ladies...I appreciate the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyD View Post
Honestly, you should probably talk to your midwife/OB and see what their timing is. I'd hate for you to start trying at 3 months, get pregnant the first time, only to find you doctor says no way unless it was 18 months.
Yeah, that's the thing...we won't live in the same place by the time we have another baby, and I don't know where we'll be moving (Air Force) so I have no idea who my doctor/midwife will be. I guess it is probably smarter just to wait so I have a better chance!

Melissa & DH

September 29th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will be 17 months from my c-section when I try for my VBAC in late April. My OB didn't seem worried that it wasn't a full 18 months but I assume me being so close is the reason. I was just reading the other day that 18 months is the preferred amount of time between births (I wish I could remember where I read that . . . I'll see if I can find it).

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
October 14th, 2010, 05:11 AM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
My 1st was my c/s and there was a 5 year span between him and #2. But if I had gotten pg sooner, I would have had a VBAC then, that was just they way my cards fell. I'm sure you'll do fine!!
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
October 18th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Baby 3.0's Avatar Surprised by #3!!
My OB said 18 months. I thought he said 18months before I got prego, but maybe he meant before my next delivery. I waited 2+yrs between the 2 and now almost 7 yrs since my 1st Vbac.
October 19th, 2010, 07:12 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I'm no help since Noah and Oliver are 6yrs apart. However, most med info says 18-24mos. I could have sworn though that they preferred 12mos from c-sec to next pg. Not sure where I read that. I'm shocked that you're even talking about another pg only 3mos post-c/s. I remember barely even getting back to normal by then.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

October 22nd, 2010, 11:46 AM
Jennifer-Jacob's Mommy's Avatar Mega Momma
Send a message via MSN to Jennifer-Jacob's Mommy
Im with you .. I really wanted a natural birth but Jacob was sunnyside up andhe just wasnt comingdown.. he got so far and that was it.. Im really aiming for VBAC next time!..

October 22nd, 2010, 02:13 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Butterflies View Post
I'm shocked that you're even talking about another pg only 3mos post-c/s. I remember barely even getting back to normal by then.
As far as c/s go, I think mine was about as perfect as they can be...I feel really good! Besides, since we have to do in-vitro and we will be moving next summer, our babies take a little more planning than most

Melissa & DH

October 22nd, 2010, 03:13 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
As far as c/s go, I think mine was about as perfect as they can be...I feel really good! Besides, since we have to do in-vitro and we will be moving next summer, our babies take a little more planning than most
You may be shocked. It may have taken IVF to get pg last time, but that doesn't mean it will next time. I know a good handful of mamas who got surprise pregnancies after having a baby through years of TTC and/or IUI/IVF. Took me 19mos to get pg with Oliver with 4 rounds of IUI and Femara. I'm praying next time we try, it will at least take less than a year.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

November 9th, 2010, 06:55 PM
wintereast's Avatar Theresa334
18 months isnideal but I got pregnant after a year and we will try the vbac

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search