"Recommended"?

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
MIL asked if I was really still planning on trying for a vaginal birth and if my doctor "really recommends" such a thing after having had a c-section. I wasn't sure what to say. I mean... my doctor allows it---BUT do they recommend it? Hmmmmm

But of course since the conversation was with my inlaws and I feel the ever persisting need to come across as having it together-- I avoided the nitty gritty negative doctor stuff and just told them the doctors will keep an extra eye on me and a vbac is healthier for me and baby.

It was obvious she doesn't agree with my decision. Oh, and she looked like she was going to have a heart attack when I happily told her the doctor might try a version at 37 weeks if baby hasn't turned. She doesn't understand why I would even consider such a thing.
September 29th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Super Mommy
I had long conversations with two doctors about VBAC. The first recommended a c-section because the reason for my first c-section was that that the baby got stuck but he was in good position to be born so she figured the same would happen again especially that the first was not overy big just average.

I then spoke with my regular doctor who actually recommended VBAC. She thinks that since the baby is measuring smaller I should try for VBAC before 39 weeks and schedule a c-section at 39 weeks. The main reason she gave is that the risk of the uterus rupturing is very small however the risk of complications with repeat c-sections is quite high. No one ever mentioned this to me before.

My female friends who have kids totally understand why I would want VBAC but neither DH nor my mom do. They think it would be simpler and more convenient for me to have a c-section.
September 29th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by verity View Post
I had long conversations with two doctors about VBAC. The first recommended a c-section because the reason for my first c-section was that that the baby got stuck but he was in good position to be born so she figured the same would happen again especially that the first was not overy big just average.

I then spoke with my regular doctor who actually recommended VBAC. She thinks that since the baby is measuring smaller I should try for VBAC before 39 weeks and schedule a c-section at 39 weeks. The main reason she gave is that the risk of the uterus rupturing is very small however the risk of complications with repeat c-sections is quite high. No one ever mentioned this to me before.

My female friends who have kids totally understand why I would want VBAC but neither DH nor my mom do. They think it would be simpler and more convenient for me to have a c-section.
God, I'm so sick of hearing that. My DH thinks it would be more convenient so we can plan to have our moms in town since we live in AZ and our moms are on the east coast. Um, I don't care if the birth of our baby is CONVENIENT for other people! ARGH! I don't want the difficult recovery from a c-section, to feel the searing pain again that I felt when they cut into me during my c-section, nor any of the other crappy things I hated about my c-section experience. No thanks. It will be more convenient for me to have a VBAC.

Neads - tell your MIL that ACOG thinks VBAC is appropriate for most women who've had one c-section so she can stop worrying. You're not alone though, my MIL didn't say anything about my decision but she looked at me like I'd grown another head.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
September 29th, 2010, 06:23 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Quote:

Why does she want you to have the baby by 39 weeks? It's not anymore of a risk to have the baby at 41 weeks or 42 weeks than it is to have the baby at 39. YES, the risks of a repeat c-section are higher but labor and letting your body know when your baby is ready to be here. Normal gestation is 41 weeks...
September 30th, 2010, 04:56 AM
OwensMommy25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a friend ask me about this the other day and I didn't really know what to say. Most doctors find it easier to recommend a repeat c-section because it's not their body. The risk of rupture is so close to the risk of complications of a repeat c-section that the "recommendation" is always going to be opion based, not fact.

Thanks to Pattyandthemoos For the wonderful siggy!

October 6th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff F. View Post
Why does she want you to have the baby by 39 weeks? It's not anymore of a risk to have the baby at 41 weeks or 42 weeks than it is to have the baby at 39. YES, the risks of a repeat c-section are higher but labor and letting your body know when your baby is ready to be here. Normal gestation is 41 weeks...
She wants to schedule the c-section at 39 weeks because she doesn't think I am likely to have a sucessful VBAC after 39 weeks with my history. I have no problem with a c-section at 39 weeks, my son was born at 38 weeks with spontaneous labour and was 8 pounds. I do not want to end up with an emergency c-section.
October 6th, 2010, 01:02 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
I dont think older moms understand that once you have a csection you arent automatically destined to be a Csection mom forever, like it used to be. I cant tell you how many people i had to have this conversatoon with during my pregnancy to my son. Literally every single person i talked to i had to explain my choices.
October 6th, 2010, 07:56 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
She wants to schedule the c-section at 39 weeks because she doesn't think I am likely to have a sucessful VBAC after 39 weeks with my history. I have no problem with a c-section at 39 weeks, my son was born at 38 weeks with spontaneous labour and was 8 pounds. I do not want to end up with an emergency c-section.
I don't understand why the gestation has anything to do with being successful or not. Each pg is different and gestational age plays no role in the outcome of an attempted VBAC.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born still at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w
Eleanor & Penelope (2/6/2015) 3VBA2C, 1lb 11oz and 2lbs 5oz,
identical twin girls born still at 26w.

October 7th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Tofu Bacon
Every provider has their own comfort level and general recommendation, but that doesn't always translate over to what is best for each patient.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search