New to this forum!

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2010, 12:33 AM
MomTo3LittleBoys's Avatar Love my house of boys!
Hello!! I am not currently pregnant but will start trying in May.

I just had my first Child, Ethan, on May 25th. I was induced at 39 weeks(which i regret). I was a 2-3 cm when I went in for induction. I went in on a sunday at 7pm to start the gel. I got to a 10 dilated around 8pm on Monday. I pushed for 2.5 hours and he would not come out! He was sunny side up and just not decending into the canal like he should, so I ended up having a csection. He was 8 lbs 11oz at 39 weeks. So if I went to term or after he would have been huge.

Anyway, my recovery was awesome, no issues and its now 4 months later and has healed perfect.
We want to start TTC #2 in May when Ethan turns one. I am just kinda looking into doing a Vbac. Can't decide If I should try or just go to a scheduled csection next time. I am just looking for some stories/advice.

Does my first delivery favor a VBAC or does it sound like I should do a repeat. So far I have been told that maybe I could try since I dilated to 10cm etc.

Thanks in advance!
DS3- Born 11/4/14
October 5th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Hello and welcome! Congratulations on your little boy!

I think you would be a fantastic candidate for a VBAC. It seems to me that there were two reasons that lead to your cesarean. 1 - you were induced, and 2 - he was posterior. The first one was probably the cause of the second. If your son wasn't ready to be born (and since you were induced, in general that means he wasn't) then he wasn't in the right position, and because he wasn't in the right position you couldn't get him down. Yes, he was a big baby, but I don't think that had to do with anything. If a baby is in the right position, and you are able to be up and moving around, a woman can easily birth a 10+lbs baby.

My recommendation would be to go for the VBAC next time. Keep doing your research to learn all you can about it, and feel free to stick around here and ask questions. Good luck with TTC next year!

My Ovulation Chart
October 5th, 2010, 11:34 PM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
If I were you I would try for a VBAC. You sound like a very good candidate. You were able to dialate to 10 completely. Your baby was simply in the wrong position which led you to be induced. This doesn't mean your baby will be in the wrong position next time. My biggest thing that made me want a VBAC is that I felt like I let my body down. I felt like a failure that I couldn't push DS1 out, he was in the wrong position. I felt like I was missing something if I couldn't have a natural labor. Luckily I was able to have my VBAC with DS2 and it was a great experience. I'll never regret fighting for my VBAC. Ask yourself how would you feel if you went straight to a C-Section next time? Would you regret it?
October 6th, 2010, 12:03 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Your son was a good size, but I don't think he was huge by any means. If he had stayed in for another week he would have f=gained 2-4 oz, and would have been about 8 lb 13 oz to 8 lb 15 oz, maybe 9 lbs. None of those are really huge either. My biggest baby (first VBAC) was 9 lb 14 oz. My brother was 10 lb 9 oz, so I don't even think of any of my kids as big. My 12 pound cousin was huge...rofl.

At any rate his position was the problem. A well positioned baby regardless of size should be able to be delivered vaginally. My first VBAC required forceps, his head was not descending properly. After they fixed the position he was out in two to three pushes. He had a 15.75 inch head- HUGE noggin. My other VBACs were smaller, and in much better positions, which resulted in quick labors. One was 8 lb 4 oz and one was 8 lb 15 oz. Both were about 4 hours of active labor and less than 6 total pushes

Things to keep in mind are; how may children do you want, how will recovery be with a toddler/older child, how do you feel about the increased risks of subsequent surgical deliveries- to both yourself and any future children?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
October 7th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Tofu Bacon
Welcome! My c-section was for a big, a sunny-side up baby, who wasn't fully engaged either, but by VBAC was for an average-sized (though large for my frame) sunny-side up baby, who wasn't fully engaged either. Its very possible to VBAC under those circumstances, and changing positions during labor helps a lot!
October 14th, 2010, 12:58 AM
MomTo3LittleBoys's Avatar Love my house of boys!
Thanks!!

Can there be such thing as having a weird shaped pelvis and not being able to deliver vaginally?

My friend had to have a csection with her first baby b/c she couldnt get hers out either. He was only 7lbs 11oz too. They told her she had a heart shaped pelvis and that she would never be able to give birth vaginally.

I kinda remember them saying maybe I had a weird shaped pelvis but I cant remember....
DS3- Born 11/4/14
October 14th, 2010, 07:48 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~EthansMomma~ View Post
Thanks!!

Can there be such thing as having a weird shaped pelvis and not being able to deliver vaginally?

My friend had to have a csection with her first baby b/c she couldnt get hers out either. He was only 7lbs 11oz too. They told her she had a heart shaped pelvis and that she would never be able to give birth vaginally.

I kinda remember them saying maybe I had a weird shaped pelvis but I cant remember....
It is possible to have a pelvis that is not shaped quite 'right' it bears very little on whether or not you can have a baby, even a large one. Less than 1% of the population has a pelvis that cannot open wide enough for a properly positioned baby to pass through. And, even those are generally caused by malnutrition or serious injury to the pelvis.

Many doctors tell patients this to make them believe the c-section was the right way to go, and ensure they sign up for a repeat without question.
Question CPD | International Cesarean Awareness Network
Cephalopelvic Disproportion (CPD) | International Cesarean Awareness Network
Pelvises I Have Known and Loved - by Gloria Lemay

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Last edited by NutMeg76; October 14th, 2010 at 07:50 PM.
October 16th, 2010, 07:23 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am glad to see you in here! the ladies here are great, and can give you tun of info. My personal experience is fight hard for your Vbac!

October 18th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Baby 3.0's Avatar Surprised by #3!!
I've been out of the loop for a while, but I had a VBAC after my DD was breech. My OB (he was the only one who did Vbac's) said I would be a prime candidate for one if I followed his rules I remember one, I had to wait 18 months before getting prego, so my scar had plently of time to heal. NOT SURE if it was just him....but I listened.

Now different insurance, and have a midwife who approved me again for my 2nd VBAC. I have to stay 100% healthy (no h bp, g.diabetes, no inducing ect...) to have my Vbac.

I loved my VBAC. 18hrs + 1hr 35min of pushing was worth every second! I saw him be born, put right on my chest, nursed within 5 min. It was everything I wanted. It was amazing!! I felt like a million bucks after!! Praying for another one
October 21st, 2010, 11:20 AM
Jaci's Avatar I AM a Doula :)
Sorry mama, I don't have time to read all of the replies but I saw a few things that stuck out in your story that I want to comment on:

Quote:
He was 8 lbs 11oz at 39 weeks. So if I went to term or after he would have been huge.
so so so not true! First you had an induction which includes IV fluids. IV fluids can greatly elevate the baby's birth weight. Second a baby only gains a few ounces (up to approximately half a pound) so he really probably wouldn't have been that big!

Then it sounds like you are a great candidate for a VBAC. OP babies don't necessarily repeat and there are things you can do to prevent it.

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my siggie!

Our Family Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search