We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Hi Ladies, a little background on me first. I had my first son when I was 17, I had high blood pressure the day before I had him, they induced me due to my BP, and then I wasn't dialating, they couldn't wait for me to labor since I had high BP so I had to have a c-section. Fast forward 6 years after that, I had our second son, it was a repeat c-section because the town we were stationed at (Clovis,NM) was tiny and didn't do VBAC's. I would have had to travel 2 hours to try for one, so i just refused. Now I am pregnant with our third, and can not find a Doctor here (Im in Las Cruces,NM) that will do one after 2 c-sections. The OB's office Im currently does do VBAC's but only after one c-section, not two. The Hospital they are affiliated with does not have a ban against VBAC's and I understand I can basically walk in when I'm in labor and refuse a c-section, but I would also have to stop care with my Doctor because they would be scheduling me a c-section. I have even looked into Doctors an hour away in a bigger city, and not even there have I found a Doc willing to do one after 2 c-sections. I have literally called about 10 offices today and got bad news all 10 times. Im disappointed and feel that in reality I will be having my 3rd c-section in April. Any advice? Thanks so much.
Rebecca DH Damian
Devin-9 Ethan 3
♥Emily Lauren on her way♥
EDD-April 20th, 2011
I'm so sorry you're having problems. I totally understand. I had a VBA2C almost 3 years ago, and it's tough finding someone. I did make the decision to travel over 2 hours to the doctor and hospital that allowed them. And, it was completely worth it. I found a doula halfway between and went to her house to labor, then that night we got a hotel room just a few miles from the hospital and stayed until we went in the next night. So, if you have family support to stay with your other two kids, that would be worth it, to me, anyway.
Are you still in NM? I can't promise anything, but if I knew where you were, maybe we could find something?
What have you done to find one so far? I finally found mine by calling doulas, and asking them if they knew of one that did it. I got a couple of leads and then started calling the offices to ask.
Be prepared now, though...you're going to need your op reports from both cesareans. So if you don't have them, you need to start doing what you have to do to get them. My first was with the military 6 years before my VBA2C, and it had been archived...so it took some time and begging to get the copy.
What I'd like to know is, what are you comfortable with?
How far are you willing to travel for it?
How "strong" are you when standing up for yourself in the face of "Your baby will DIE!!! if you don't have a cesarean", etc?
Are you willing to stay home as long as possible? What does that mean to you?
Are you willing to chance not getting to the hospital in time?
Are you open to a home birth?
Oh, and you wouldn't have to stop care with your current OB (for now, anyway). You still need prenatal care, so just stay with him until you find something else. You don't have to stop seeing him, and if he refuses to help you anymore, then he has to give you 30 days notice (I think it's that many days?), and find you a replacement provider. Legally, he can't just drop you. But, it's never too late to switch providers. Many VBAC'ers have switched at 38+ weeks after learning their providers weren't as supportive as they claimed.
Congratulations on your pregnancy, and good luck! I'll do what I can to help.
Wendy, Mom to
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, & Jocelyn
I agree: look at midwives. NM is one the most VBAC-friendly states in the US, so you may very well find one who will assist a VBA2C. I'm not sure how far it would be for you, but there is a well-known birthing center in Taos.
I have a midwife and she had to approve me for my 2nd VBAC. BUT I have to meet all the guidleines they have throughout the whole pregnancy. No diabetes, high bp, not induced.... My 1st ob for this one said he would do it but wasnt for them....so I left. My insurance doesnt cover my ob I had with the other 2
I hope you can find someone to help you
Thank you for this beautiful siggy!