HBAC? Convincing DH?

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2010, 08:25 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
This is something I"m just curious about...have any of you had a HBAC? How did you convince DH to go along with it? I would LOVE to have a HB2C, but I doubt I could get DH on board.

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!
rate 6/5/2014: 164 rate 6/23/2014: 165 14w5d

October 20th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
We've had a member attempt it, but she ended up deciding to go to the hospital.

I believe it's completely safe, and I will do it if I have another baby. My husband is not convinced. His problem is the "ick" factor. But, after all these years, and after finally giving birth, I just stood up for myself and told him that the next one WOULD be at home. Or a birthing center at the most. I even told him I'd get a direct entry midwife even if it was illegal for them to practice in whatever state I was in. So, he's not totally against it like he was the first time I brought it up, but he has accepted that that's what I'll be doing.

As far as what you should do, I'd start with helping him research the safety of VBAC's. After he is convinced that's the way to go, I'd make some phone calls to home birth midwives, and set up an appointment with 2 or 3 that you felt good about. Then tell him it's not what you're deciding to do, but you want to look at your options. Have him be there at the interviews and encourage him to ask every question he can think of. Encourage him to have an open mind and heart, and then have an open and honest discussion about it with him afterwards.

Good luck!

October 20th, 2010, 06:14 AM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
Thanks Wendy!
DH is supportive of my having a vbac and said he'll do whatever it takes to give me the best possible chance. We only have one HB midwife where we live now...we're hoping that our next baby won't come until after we move (in about a yr).

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!
rate 6/5/2014: 164 rate 6/23/2014: 165 14w5d

October 20th, 2010, 09:54 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I was the member that attempted the HBAC and after 18 hrs of labor at home, I went to the hospital to have pain medication. It was a good thing I did too because I wasn't contracting properly and had another 25 hrs of labor at the hospital. The last 20 of that was with pitcoin. HBAC is worth it if you can do it!
October 22nd, 2010, 12:07 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
This post caught my eye because a member of the Nov 08 PR has had 2 HBACs since her c/s. Her member name is inyourhonor and is truly a rock star!

October 27th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We aren't planning on any more but if there is ever a #4 I will hbac. I figure if my body can knit a scar that could withstand 11 hours or so of pitocin labor in a hospital (that ended in fetal distress and another c/s, go figure) there is no reason for me to believe that my body won't knit a scar that can withstand a normal labor at home.
November 8th, 2010, 06:28 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
An HBAC is never something dh or I have considered. I do not think I am a good candidate for a home birth for lots of different reasons. I have convinced dh to do other things, for example, homeschooling that was kind of out there so I know that the dads can come around. I think you have to give things a lot of time and just talk, and talk, and talk. I would also suggest you post over on the home birth board because I am sure those girls can give you lots of advice.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search