A little nervous about VBAC

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 1st, 2010, 09:01 PM
~Lindsay~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are my feelings completely normal?? I was talking to my friend who had over 100 stitches from tearing down there! And now I am like wow, what's worse - that or a c-section? In my mind tearing like that is!!! lol.

I mean there are a lot of things that will factor into me even being able to do this. So I may be freaking out a little prematurely. But I am *thinking* its just fear of the unknown....

Mama to Isabelle (7), Abigail (4), 10/27/14 MMC.

November 2nd, 2010, 05:55 AM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
It's normal to have those kind of fears. But to tear that bad, I don't think that's very common at all. I think most people if they tear only need a couple of stitches. When I was in labor for my VBAC, I completely forgot about all my fears and just did it. Just try to relax and remember everyone's bodies are different.
November 2nd, 2010, 09:44 AM
lol, ok. I know, I probably shouldn't even talk to people about how their birth's went! It's just going to make me more and more nervous.

November 3rd, 2010, 12:00 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
100 stitches? Really? That sounds a little far fetched to me. You shouldn't listen to scare tactics. I tore very bad with my first VBAC, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Especially if you want more children, or don't know if you want more or not. Think of the safety of future pregnancies. We would sacrifice anything for our babies, why not to slim possibility of tearing? VBAC is better for this baby and for any future children you may want to have.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 3rd, 2010, 08:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I agree...100 stitches? Where in the world is there room for that many down there? I tore really badly up my vaginal wall. I even ended up needing a blood transfusion. But with all of that, I only needed about 10 stitches, and I healed incredibly well. I was sore (not in pain) for about 4 weeks at the most.

But, I'd take 100 stitches all the way to kingdom come to be able to have another VBAC. I have to tell you, the feeling of pushing that baby out of you is so amazing that I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world!

Stay positive, read some awesome birth stories (you know, the empowering, happy, wonderful kind), and feel free to come here and discuss anything you need to.

November 3rd, 2010, 11:16 PM
thanks girls!! I had no reason to question what she told me, but I am glad that seems unlikely! I don't know any different! lol.

November 4th, 2010, 02:59 PM
MamaMandy's Avatar is it Spring yet??
Well...with a c/s you are guaranteed to need stitches and know your body will be in for some major healing & recovery. With a VBAC, there are many possibilities ranging from smooth as silk perfect as can be & on. It is a huge unknown - just like any vaginal birth- and it's a huge event to have so many unknowns for, if that makes sense! I am due in 10 days & I remember going through a MAJOR freak out OMG WTH was I thinking phase a month or so ago. It was tough, but I made myself step back from all the websites and birth horror story ghouls I mean moms and just focusing on the BEST CASE scenario, picturing in my mind my birth going just how I hoped, me being calm knowing I had options & reminding myself I may need to be flexible but everything would be ok, that women have been doing this since the dawn of time & in much tougher situations than mine, that I CAN DO THIS, that baby Emily will arrive how she is meant to arrive and all will be well. It has helped, maybe it will help you as well? Worth a shot, nothing to lose by thinking happy thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Lindsay~ View Post
Are my feelings completely normal?? I was talking to my friend who had over 100 stitches from tearing down there! And now I am like wow, what's worse - that or a c-section? In my mind tearing like that is!!! lol.

I mean there are a lot of things that will factor into me even being able to do this. So I may be freaking out a little prematurely. But I am *thinking* its just fear of the unknown....

Children are not little adults, but they ARE people too!

There's a reason they are called dependents...

AP is not alternative to those who see no other choice

http://helpguide.org/mental/parentin...t_disorder.htm

November 5th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Baby 3.0's Avatar Surprised by #3!!
I had a VBAC with my 2nd. 18+ hrs of labor, 1hr 35min of pushing and It was amazing!! Went just as I thought it would. Well...maybe a pinch more pushing LOL! I watched my son be born. I had a small cut made, so easy and I was up on my feet within the hr! I'm doing everything I can do have a vbac again!
November 8th, 2010, 06:05 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Yeh, I am really trying to figure out how you could need a hundred stitches. I had two vag births before my csection so I guess that is why my vbac wasn't so scary. I think both csections and vag births are scary in their own ways. Try not to let the stitches horror story - which sounds a little hard to believe to me - scare you. You can do this!
November 9th, 2010, 06:50 PM
wintereast's Avatar Theresa334
I completely understand your concern! I have a friend w 4th degree tearing who chose to have 2 sections after that since recovery was so bad and she thought the section was an easier recovery!

But yes I'm sure that is not common ( but does happen) so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

November 12th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Khara
The recovery from a VBAC is soooo much better than recovering from a C-Section... even with tearing/stitches. I agree wtih everyone else.
November 13th, 2010, 09:38 PM
thanks you guys!! <3 You all eased my fears a lot!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search