How hard was it to find a vbac friendly doc/midwife?

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2010, 06:44 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
do you have to make a long drive to see someone vbac friendly?

I had to call a ton of practices before I found a vbac friendly practice. I am driving about an hour so that I can deliver at a hospital that does vbacs. I don't really mind so much because we live in a rural area and I would rather be at a bigger hospital anyway just in case there are any sort of complications or emergency situations.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
November 9th, 2010, 06:15 AM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
I had a hard time finding a VBAC doctor. But only because my deliveries didn't meet the recommended time between them. I ended up driving 100 miles to a hospital to get my VBAC. If my deliveries had the recommened time between them then I would have been able to see the OBGYN here in town and deliver in town.

However, I really liked the other hospital better than the one in town. All the nurses were very friendly and helpful, here in town I had a couple nurses that I didn't like, they were rude and seemed like they hated their job. The other hospital also has a spa on the recovery floor and they give you either a free massage, facial, or manicure. It would be so much easier to deliver in town though.
November 9th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
IF my hospital would have allowed them.. my Dr would have done my VBAC. She was very supportive. I ended up going to a hospital that was 2 hrs away for my VBAC. Actually the same town as Katie.. but different hospital :-)

I loved the hospital the the nurses and Drs were FANTASTIC.. it was also the hospital that I delievered my twins in. Towards the end of my pregnancy I went every other appt to SF.

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
November 9th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Stephanie_M's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Where we had lived in FL when I was pg with DD would not even consider a VBAC. I would have had to drive over 100 miles to find an OB that would even consider it. We moved to MD when I was a few weeks pg with this LO and found an awesome OB office that is very pro-VBAC. Of course it does get a bit annoying when they continually bring up the risks associated with a VBAC but always end it with saying how rare those complications actually are.

Big thanks to *Kiliki* for my GORGEOUS siggy!
[/URL]
November 9th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Super Mommy
I find it so strange that some of you ladies have such a hard time finding doctors or hospitals that do VBACs. I had my C-section becasue my son got stuck during pushing which means that teh scenario is more likley to repeat itself (as opposed to baby being breach or something like that) and not only did I not have problems finding a doctor who would support VBAC here in Canada but in fact both my family doctor who is my primary caregiver and my OB who will be doing a c-section if one is required, recommended that I try VBAC.
November 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The local hospital here has a ban so no one in town will allow VBACs. I had to look for a doc in Tucson which is about 80 miles from here (and at least an hour and 20 minutes in no traffic). I did research online and made a few phone calls, I went with the group that delivered at a hospital I was interested in. At my first appointment the doctor said I was a great candidate for VBAC and said the risks are pretty low for me. She did however, hand me a long list of things I have to read and initial, stating I understand all the risks. She never tried to talk me out of it and she seemed supportive of my decision. If however, they try to change my mind at any point I have 2 other doctors in Tucson I can go to.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
November 9th, 2010, 01:49 PM
MamaMandy's Avatar is it Spring yet??
The hospital and main practice are about an hour and 20 minutes away, the "close" office is about an hour away. It does wear on me now that I'm on weekly appointments; I live in a rural area too and the roads are rough most of the way. But, it is worth it. To find a VBAC friendly practice, I went to the ican website to find out which hospitals in Maine allowed VBAC, then I e-mailed area doulas for recommendations on truly supportive OB's. The first OB I went to was only 20 minutes away, but at a hospital w/a VBAC ban. He himself was VBAC friendly, and if not for my insurance I could have seen him up until 36 weeks as a collaborating doctor with the VBAC practice - basically he would do all the work, and send them the progress notes & all my med info. If your insurance allows you to see or be listed as a patient w/ more than one OB, this can be very very convenient!

Children are not little adults, but they ARE people too!

There's a reason they are called dependents...

AP is not alternative to those who see no other choice

http://helpguide.org/mental/parentin...t_disorder.htm

November 9th, 2010, 03:15 PM
OwensMommy25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not hard at all.. If I had gone with an OB I would have had problems finding one, but my midwife actually suggested it to me. I'll have to do it at home, but thats great with me!

Thanks to Pattyandthemoos For the wonderful siggy!

November 9th, 2010, 06:40 PM
wintereast's Avatar Theresa334
I just went with my ob from last time. She was the one to recommend trying the vbac. We are at a major teaching hospital though and the vbacs seem to be back.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search