Are you wanting to have an unmedicated vbac?

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2010, 06:48 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Is anyone aiming for an unmedicated vbac?

I really want this one to be an unmedicated vbac. I am okay with monitoring and an IV in place just in case, but would like to try to avoid everything else if at all possible. This will be our last baby so I am really hoping that everything goes the way I plan but I have also made up my mind that this will be a great birth experience for me how ever it happens.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
November 9th, 2010, 06:18 AM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
I wanted an unmedicated VBAC. Mine was mostly unmedicated. I had the IV in place. I did not get an epidural. I asked for Stadul, they gave me the first part of it, then I started pushing immediately after that. The Stadul didn't kick in until they were stitching me up. So I say mine was unmedicated.
November 9th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Stephanie_M's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would love to have an unmedicated VBAC since this too may be our last LO. Of course I have yet to discuss this with my OB. I really should bring it up tomorrow at my appt. I have heard that some OB's will give you an epidural anyway just in case you need to be rushed in for a c/s. How true is that?

Big thanks to *Kiliki* for my GORGEOUS siggy!
[/URL]
November 9th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Steph - my OB said they "prefer" you to get an epidural "in case" you end up needing a c-section but she said I don't want one they are ok with that.

I'm not sure yet if I want an epidural or not. I had IV meds with my DD and I can safely say they did nothing for the pain. I plan on taking a Bradley class this time around (unless I decide on a different kind) and hope I can avoid the epidural because I hated how it made me feel, I had some intense pain in my legs after several hours. Also I felt them cut into me during my c-section so I'm not so certain it was placed well or truly that effective - I'm kind of scared of another c-section with an epidural. I am looking into my other options - like a very low dose epidural but ideally I'm pretty sure I'll try to go without.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
November 9th, 2010, 06:46 PM
wintereast's Avatar Theresa334
I'm definitely doing the epidural and all recommended monitoring. Last time it freaked me out with the fetal distress so I'll be extra careful and worried. I didn't have huge issues w the spinal just nausea and headache during surgery but went away after.

November 10th, 2010, 02:04 PM
OwensMommy25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll be at home.. so I kinda don't have a choice.. lol. I'm hoping some tylonol takes the edge off! (ya right!!)

Thanks to Pattyandthemoos For the wonderful siggy!

November 10th, 2010, 04:52 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wanted a MEDICATED birth but my epi totally wore off when I was transitioning and I felt EVERYTHING!!!! Even felt the OB stitching me up after and he had to hit me with some lydicain (sp?).

You ladies that do it without the drugs are amazing!!!

November 10th, 2010, 10:55 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an epidural with my first VBAC and went without any pain medications with the rest. It was so much better without, sounds crazy doesn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintereast View Post
I'm definitely doing the epidural and all recommended monitoring. Last time it freaked me out with the fetal distress so I'll be extra careful and worried. I didn't have huge issues w the spinal just nausea and headache during surgery but went away after.

If you are concerned with fetal distress, why are you planning an intervention that increases the risk of fetal distress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Kixs*~ View Post
I wanted a MEDICATED birth but my epi totally wore off when I was transitioning and I felt EVERYTHING!!!! Even felt the OB stitching me up after and he had to hit me with some lydicain (sp?).

You ladies that do it without the drugs are amazing!!!

Pushing and delivery that happens after an epidural wears off is MUCH worse than an entirely natural birth. The epidural blocks the release of natural pain regulators, for both you and the baby. So when the epi wears off it is like getting hit by a truck. When you have no meds in your system your body can do its job and provide you, and in turn the baby, with natural 'drugs'. The pain is not as bad that way.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Last edited by NutMeg76; November 10th, 2010 at 10:59 PM.
November 11th, 2010, 06:24 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
So when the epi wears off it is like getting hit by a truck.
A big BIG truck!!!

Really though it was only about 20min of pain and 5min of pushing but I would do it all over again in a heartbeat for my little guy.

My body might not have had the natural pain blocking hormones going but it sure did good producing the "help you forget the pain" hormones

November 11th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Khara
If you are attempting a VBAC I would HIGHLY recommend not getting any drugs or epidural (at least no epidural) but this is just my opinion. I know some moms do fine with the epidural but with my 1st I had the epidural, meds, the works... I pushed for 3.5 hours with no luck and I really think it's because i was numb. I could not feel myself pushing, I didn't know if I was doing it right, I could not feel the natural urges of my body telling me what to do. So with the 2nd I was stubborn about doing it naturally. It was VERY painful, but the worst was waiting to be able to push. You feel that intense pressure and all you want to do it push but they say you can't. So once they finally let me push I didn't care about the pain all I cared about was getting that baby out! And he was born naturally. So for me, I don't think I could have given birth vaginally if I had an epidural.... I really think the high use of epidurals contributes to the increased rate of c-sections.
November 11th, 2010, 01:01 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
I had an epidural with my first VBAC and went without any pain medications with the rest. It was so much better without, sounds crazy doesn't?

If you are concerned with fetal distress, why are you planning an intervention that increases the risk of fetal distress?

Pushing and delivery that happens after an epidural wears off is MUCH worse than an entirely natural birth. The epidural blocks the release of natural pain regulators, for both you and the baby. So when the epi wears off it is like getting hit by a truck. When you have no meds in your system your body can do its job and provide you, and in turn the baby, with natural 'drugs'. The pain is not as bad that way.
ITA with all this.

I went completely med free the first 20hrs but I wasn't progressing. So, I was on the pit after that. I didn't even ask for the epi until I had been on the pit for 12hrs. I was already in transition (you know how that goes) and after being in labor for so long, I was so exhausted that I could no longer relax during the 2-3min apart contrax. It only took the edge off. I still felt EVERY contraction. He was born an hour later. In hindsight, I wish I had skipped the epi altogether. It helped very little and wasn't worth the risks, IMO.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born still at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w
Eleanor & Penelope (2/6/2015) 3VBA2C, 1lb 11oz and 2lbs 5oz,
identical twin girls born still at 26w.

November 12th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Khara
Butteflies: Oh my gosh I can't believe they let your labor go on so long with how they are so eager to do a c-section these days. Isn't it amazing what our bodies go through?
November 12th, 2010, 12:18 PM
wintereast's Avatar Theresa334
The latest studies show that epidurals don't increase csection rate but inducing does. I know lot of people feel personally different about that but I knows tons of people who have had successful epidurals with vaginal birth. Unfortunately there is a new movement about to scare women off about it. If you are one who can do without that is great but many many women want pain relief during labor. In any case usually you can wait and see if you can do without it anyway.

As for fetal distress I was
in regards to the fetal monitoring. I am one of those types of people who feel my csection was necessary and saved the life of my baby and not that I was pushed into it. Let's hope this time around it works out better and it won't be necessary.

November 15th, 2010, 04:19 PM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
I am planning my 5th VBAC, unmedicated and in the birthing tub. I have had unmedicated VBAC before. I agree to the IV heplock only but will not allow them to hook me up to any fluids.
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
November 16th, 2010, 08:59 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishKabob View Post
Butteflies: Oh my gosh I can't believe they let your labor go on so long with how they are so eager to do a c-section these days. Isn't it amazing what our bodies go through?
My OB is an anomaly. LOL
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born still at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w
Eleanor & Penelope (2/6/2015) 3VBA2C, 1lb 11oz and 2lbs 5oz,
identical twin girls born still at 26w.

November 18th, 2010, 03:43 PM
~Lindsay~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am going to see how long I last. lol!

We have a Japanese soaking tub @ my hospital that I am going to use for the half an hour I can use it (2x). Knowing me I will cave and get an epidural.

I do not want stadol again, that's all I know! I felt like I was on some serious hallucinogenics! LOL

Mama to Isabelle (7), Abigail (4), 10/27/14 MMC.

November 18th, 2010, 08:12 PM
deacons_mommy's Avatar Veteran
Yes, unmedicated all the way! NO interventions of any kind, if I can help it.

November 19th, 2010, 03:35 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintereast View Post
The latest studies show that epidurals don't increase csection rate but inducing does. I know lot of people feel personally different about that but I knows tons of people who have had successful epidurals with vaginal birth. Unfortunately there is a new movement about to scare women off about it. If you are one who can do without that is great but many many women want pain relief during labor. In any case usually you can wait and see if you can do without it anyway.

As for fetal distress I was
in regards to the fetal monitoring. I am one of those types of people who feel my csection was necessary and saved the life of my baby and not that I was pushed into it. Let's hope this time around it works out better and it won't be necessary.
But you do realize that epidurals lead to fetal distress, right? So your desire to have pain relief could lead to the very thing you fear the most. An epidural also denies your child of natural pain killers, so the baby feels all the contractions as forcefully as you would feel them without the epidural and they won't have the benefit of the endorphins your body releases to deal with it when you are not medicated. Just things to think about.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 27th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Baby 3.0's Avatar Surprised by #3!!
I tried with my 1st Vbac, got an epi after 10hrs & 5cm. I had back & front labor. I will give it a shot again. I have no problems getting another one. I pushed for 1hr & 35min and felt the urge the entire time. Having a mirror to see the progress helped the most
November 29th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyandthemoos View Post
Is anyone aiming for an unmedicated vbac?

I really want this one to be an unmedicated vbac. I am okay with monitoring and an IV in place just in case, but would like to try to avoid everything else if at all possible. This will be our last baby so I am really hoping that everything goes the way I plan but I have also made up my mind that this will be a great birth experience for me how ever it happens.
I am in the same boat,this is our last LO and I want an unmedicated VBAC. Good luck to you!

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful Siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search