New here... Excited but scared

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 11th, 2010, 11:24 PM
deacons_mommy's Avatar Veteran
Hi ladies. My name is Chelsey, and I just found out I'm pregnant, due in July. We are very excited (we got pg our 1st month trying!) but I am also very scared... This is a long time coming for me. I'll give you a little background on me:

When I was pg with my DS, I was the type of mom that knew exactly how she wanted her birth to go. Had my birth plan ready, and knew that I wanted to try to go as natural as possible. C-section was NOT an option for me. Well, go figure, a week or so before my due date, I was complaining to my doc how uncomfortable I was. He told me that we should induce. Me being uninformed about induction and TOTALLY miserable, agreed. So they induced me...14 hours into labor, I was only dialated to 4cm. They told me that the baby's heart rate was dropping now and again, and that since I wasn't progressing I was going to have a c-section. I was beyond devastated.

During the c-section, I honestly only remember little bits of blurry pieces... I felt so drugged that I had no clue what was going on. It was over 2 hours later that I FINALLY got to meet my baby. No emotional high when they put him on my chest right when he came out like I had envisioned... No seeing or experiencing my baby being born... Later that day, my doc came in and told me that my pelvis seemed too narrow and that I would never birth naturally. That really did a number on me. Fast forward months later, and after LOTS of research I realize that it was all a bunch of BS. I should have never been induced, my body wasn't ready to go into labor, they treated me like a number. My doctor didn't have any other explanation why I didn't progress (couldn't possibly be the induction) so he blamed it on a "too small pelvis". I had felt so betrayed. I was in such a horrible post-partum depression after I had my son for over a year. I felt so detached from my son and I knew it was because of the c-section. I felt like I failed at one of the most important things women were supposed to do. I ended up feeling so horrible about the whole situation that I decided I never wanted any more kids. And I felt like that for a couple years. (not that I didn't love my son...depression just blinded that..I love him with everything I have)

Well, for the past few months, DH and I have been getting strong urges to TTC again... And I've realized that my wounds are healed from the situation. I honestly would go through it all over again if it meant having my beautiful son...if it was necessary. Now that I know it's not, I will do everything in my power to not let it happen again, and to take CONTROL over my birth.

Sorry that was so dang long! It's really nice to get that off my chest, so this post is probably more for me! lol But I'm really looking forward to meeting you all and getting to know other VBACers. ANY advice would be sooo great - I want all the support and information I can possibly get.

November 12th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Khara
Wow, my labor started differently but otherwise had a VERY similar experience as you with my first son. Even the feelings of detachment, depression, etc. The good thing is, after that experience, you will have a whole different mind set this time around.

I had a successful VBAC with my 2nd and hoping for another one this time around. I think you are right not to listen to what your doctor said about your pelvis. Mine tried to tell me something like that too but thank goodness I was stubborn. He said I only had a 3% chance of delivering vaginally. I told him I didn't care and that I owed it to myself and my baby to at least TRY.

While pregnant I did a lot of stretches, I walked a lot, I ate right, I did a TON of reading about childbirth, vbac, natural birth, etc. I talked to my baby all the time telling him "we can do this!" I ended up being late and doc bugged me again about a c-section but I told him he could break my water (strip the membranes) and see if I went into labor that way first before doing a c-section. Sure enough, they stripped the membranes and he was born 3 hours later, naturally! When I was in labor I walked around the hospital a lot (even though it was very difficult) to try and get him to move down and progress and I really think that helped a lot.

The best part was when I was pushing and I heard my doctor say, "She's doing it! She's doing it!" in total disbelief... I will never forget that moment.

So I have hope for you! I know that there are rare occasions when a woman's pelvis is truly too small but don't let them convince you that is the case. There is always a chance you can do it, and you deserve to have that chance. And if you end up having to have another c-section, at least you will know you tried. A woman's body is made to stretch (even the pelvis!) to get that baby out as long as it is allowed to progress and do things it's own way. When doctors intervene and try to speed things along and make it convenient for THEM that is when the body might protest and say "I'm not ready yet! Leave me alone!"

I am rooting for you... your statement "I will do everything in my power to not let it happen again, and to take CONTROL over my birth." really makes me think you will be successful! Good luck to you
November 12th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Thank you so much for everything you said! It's sooo comforting to hear other women's stories, especially when I can really relate... Congrats on your VBAC! You really give me hope. I'm definitely going to follow what you did and give me & my baby as much of a chance for a VBAC as possible!

Yeah, I know there's a *chance* that my doctor was right about my pelvis being too small...but not a big one. After my c-section when I was doing tons and tons of research, I read that it's a tiny percentage that truly have a too small pelvis to birth vaginally (something like less than 5%...it's been a few years, so I can't remember the exact percentage). I have faith in my body that I can do it, though.

Thanks again for sharing your story with me and for your words of encouragement! You have no idea how much that means to me

November 12th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Khara
You are so welcome I'm glad sharing my story helped. Maybe someday you will be sharing your VBAC story too!
November 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you watched this video?

ANd have you considered joining the ICAN yahoo group?

I have had 4 VBACs. My c-section was for breech. Then my next two babies were also breech at 37 weeks. I had an external version with both of them. Then with my fourth pregnancy I saw a chiropractor that helped get my pelvis in alignment and allowed the baby to turn on her own at 36 weeks. I also did a lot of positioning techniques to help.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 13th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
Have you watched this video?

ANd have you considered joining the ICAN yahoo group?

I have had 4 VBACs. My c-section was for breech. Then my next two babies were also breech at 37 weeks. I had an external version with both of them. Then with my fourth pregnancy I saw a chiropractor that helped get my pelvis in alignment and allowed the baby to turn on her own at 36 weeks. I also did a lot of positioning techniques to help.
Yes, I actually remember watching that a couple years ago! It's awesome. I did join ICAN back when I was researching like crazy why I had a c-section... That's when I realized how unnecessary mine was. I just sent a request to join the ICAN group again just the other day actually

November 14th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Another successful VBAC here! I can really relate to your story as well. My first child was born prematurely at 32 weeks via c-section due to severe preeclampsia. I was devastated and suffered from PPD for the first couple months after her birth. I had some trouble bonding with her since we were separated for about 24 hrs after birth. We had a very hard time with BFing, which didn't help the bonding process.

This time (despite several people encouraging me to go with another c-section because they felt it was "safer" and "easier") I felt I owed it to myself and child to try a VBAC. My doctor supported my decision, which was helpful. I made it to 39 weeks with my son and had him vaginally on July 8, 2010. That being said, I got the epidural and wished I hadn't. My labor was great and I progressed quickly until I got the epi. Well, of course things slowed down b/c I was flat on my back and couldn't get up to labor. In addition, the epi didn't take on one side and I felt quite a bit of pain around my incision (on the left side). The epi made it difficult to push, as my right side was completely numb. Long story short, I pushed for over 2hrs and ended up having a vacuum assist. In hind sight I wished I had tried to go natural and use other methods to cope with the pain of labor. Before my epi I did a ton of walking around the hospital and concentrated on my breathing/swaying hips during contractions.

Even though we had the vacuum assist, my son stayed with me. He was placed on me and I BF him within an hour of his birth. It was one of the best days of my life! Although his birth was a challenge, I am so glad I tried a VBAC. It was truly a life changing experience for me.

On a side note, the next day the delivery doc (different than my regular doc) came by to check in on us. He suggested if there was a next time I just go for a c-section.

Although I don't have the perfect VBAC story, in my heart it was perfect. I encourage you to do what you feel is right in your heart. You CAN do it!

November 14th, 2010, 03:23 PM
@bundle2baby - Thank you so much for sharing your story. I love hearing these successful VBAC stories! It gives me sooo much hope! I want a VBAC more than anything.

I'm kinda worried right now because apparently Las Vegas is not the most VBAC-friendly place in the world... Everything I've read online says that I have to be induced in order to have a VBAC because the dr is required to be on the premises the entire time. I was SO not happy to read that! I wish I could have a homebirth, but DH is not supportive of it, and our circumstances right now wouldn't make it ideal (renting a home, etc). So we'll see how it goes... I'm determined though!

Thank you again for the encouragement! I hope to be sharing my VBAC story soon

November 14th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If you feel strongly about a home birth then you should sit down with your DH and explain it to him. I wish I had with my last one. I felt very strongly that he should be born at home with a midwife and a doula but DH wanted a hospital birth, "just in case." Well he got his wish, and (sorry if this comes out wrong I'm still struggling with it all) it ended up being so oppisite what I wanted. They broke my water at 4 cm and I stalled for hours while they had me hooked up to monitors and pushed pit, I stalled again at 6 for hours and then at 8 for hours again. After 12 hours with no bag of water and 11 hours on pit Gabe was having decels (no kidding, you can't expect a baby to not stress after all that AND being on my back putting pressure on the vena cava.) So go figure I delivered a healthy, pink and screaming baby via c/s 13 hours after having my water broken. This was of course after they assured me that I was going to kill him if I didn't sign the consent form because he was in real trouble. Then after the fact they tried to tell me that he had gotten stuck and there was no way I would have delivered him vaginally. Yeah, cause she was obviously psychic. I will always believe that if I had stood my ground and had him at home with a midwife my birth would have been different.
November 15th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Khara
DeaconsMommy - have you considered having a midwife who does deliveries at the hospital? That is what I'm considering this time around... I figure that way I can have the best of both worlds. A midwife will be much more supportive of my wishes (rather than a doctor who just wants to do things the easiest way for HIM with the least amount of liability) but still be in a hospital in case there is a problem and we need more medical intervention. Might be something to look into?
November 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM
@kruff - If I really felt strongly about it, DH would eventually support me if I pushed the issue. He is very understanding about everything. I just don't know if I *want* a HB. Many aspects of it are very appealing, especially not having to worry about interventions or being pressured about anything I don't want to do. But a lot about it worries me, too... First off, we're renting, and I don't know how long we will be here. So the living situation is up in the air. Also, the place we're in now is pretty small. And to be honest, being home stresses me out a lot too! DH doesn't really clean at all, and DS is soooo hyper & constantly making messes... I'm always wanting to get out of the house! So I dunno. I just keep leaning towards a hospital birth. I wish we had a birth center in Las Vegas because that would be ideal for me!

@SquishKabob - That really is an interesting idea! Can you birth at a hospital exclusively with a midwife, and no OB?? If so, I would love to do that... That sounds like a perfect compromise. I'll have to look into that - thanks for the suggestion!

November 16th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacons_mommy View Post
@bundle2baby - Thank you so much for sharing your story. I love hearing these successful VBAC stories! It gives me sooo much hope! I want a VBAC more than anything.

I'm kinda worried right now because apparently Las Vegas is not the most VBAC-friendly place in the world... Everything I've read online says that I have to be induced in order to have a VBAC because the dr is required to be on the premises the entire time. I was SO not happy to read that! I wish I could have a homebirth, but DH is not supportive of it, and our circumstances right now wouldn't make it ideal (renting a home, etc). So we'll see how it goes... I'm determined though!

Thank you again for the encouragement! I hope to be sharing my VBAC story soon

That is so odd to me. My OB (well, perinatologist) said they will not induce because it increases the risk of uterine rupture. She said if I go into labor on my own and need "help" they will allow for use of pitocin and other things to help it along but they won't do a straight induction. It's just weird to me how everyone hears something different from their docs!

I am going for a VBAC with my current pregnancy - I had my c-section last December with my DD and my memories aren't very good. I dilated to 8cm and then stayed there for several hours even with the use of pitocin. During my c-section I felt them cut into me and felt a hot searing pain in my lower right belly, they gave me conscious sedation (versed and something else) so I was not coherent during my surgery or when my DD was born. I didn't get to hold my DD for a couple of hours and could only watch as my DH held her and dressed her, all things I'd hoped to do. I dread going through that again and sincerely hope to avoid it this time.

To get my VBAC I'll have to drive 80+ miles because the local hospital has a VBAC ban. I am seeing a midwife at the OB practice where I go and she can deliver me if she's in on that day - however, I'll more than likely end up with one of the other OBs there (one is always present in the hospital and there are two midwives in the practice). Some states I believe have laws against home birthing or birthing at a birth center with a midwife after VBAC, if I'm not mistaken. I think Arizona (where I live) has a law like that. I first contacted a birth center about delivering there but they told me they could only attend my labor at the hospital in town.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search