What are the risks of a VBAC????????????

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I am not new to JM, I have been here a while, BUT I am new to VBAC and I wanted to ask a question...... But first I want to tell you a little more about my situation. When I was 20 I got pregnant with DD 1 and I gave birth to her at the age of 21. I WAS able to give birth to her vaginally after 24 hours and 37 minutes of hard labor. I wanted more kids after that but DH didnt think we were financially ready for another so I didnt think we were going to have anymore. Well about 10 years after DD 1 was born I found out I was pregnant with a SURPRISE pregnancy but unfortunately the day I found out I was pregnant I started miscarrying the baby. So after that DH and I discussed having another child and 6 months after my miscarriage I got pregnant with DD 2. I had kind of a rough pregnancy in the way of morning sickness and just altogether sore muscles and bones but other than that my pregnancy went well. I went into labor on a friday and the Dr put me o the pit drip (which I also had with DD 1) because my contractions were not very strong but anyway to make a long story short after 3 days of labor the Dr finally decided that the baby needed to come out by C-Section because my cervix was swollen. I did dialate to 10 but the dr said the anterior lip of my cervix was swollen and it was going to keep the baby from coming out vaginally and the baby kept having spells where her heart rate would go way down so I said okay lets go ahead with the C-Section after 45 minutes of trying to push her out with no success..... Okay so after telling you my whole life story lol I am finally ready to ask my question..... What are the risks of a VBAC. I would like to have another baby and I realize that I may end up having to have another C-Section anyway but I wanted to find out more about VBAC's. Is a VBAC and option for me? I know that the hospital here WILL NOT let a woman have a VBAC so I would have to go about 2 and 1/2 hours away from here to have a VBAC but I think it would be really nice to have the option. I dont really want another C-Section but I hear there are risks of a ruptured uterus with a vbac so I have not clue what to do....... Thanks a bunch for your help......

November 15th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Khara
I believe the risk of a ruptured uterus is very low... I don't know the exact statistics but I know it's very uncommon. There are many cases of successful VBACs! And you will never know unless you try... Since you already had one natural birth I think your chances would be very good. The doctors always try to convince moms who's 1st labor ended in c-section that they just cannot give birth vaginally (as if they would know that??) but luckily you already know that is not the case for you.

I cannot believe there are hospitals that outright will NOT do a vbac, that is just terrible. I have done some research on this and found out that the only reason they do this is not for the best interest of the mother and/or baby but simply because of liability reasons. The hospitals and doctors do not have to pay as much for liability insurance if they refuse to do VBACs. Pretty sad.
November 15th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
they say that the reason they will not do a VBAC here in my hometown is because the hospital is so small that they are not equipped to take care of the woman and the child if something were to go wrong with them like a ruptured uterus, or baby having complications, ETC........ I would drive the 2 and 1/2 hours though if I knew I could have a successful VBAC.........

November 15th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Veteran
The risk of uterine rupture is less than 1%. Some studies actually show that women with no prior C-Sections have just as high, if not higher risk of uterine rupture than women who have had a prior CS. There are some medical reasons that one should not be considered but you'd have to discuss your particular situation with your doctor. The best advice is to find an OB that is comfortable with VBACs and has had success with prior VBACS. Here is a basic article discussing issues related to VBACS. Many hospitals used to refuse any VBACS but that line of thought is outdated and the latest research has actually shown VBACS to be a safer alternative than repeat CS's. So much so that the ACOG (American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists) actually revised their recommendations to advocate for attempted VBACS in most cases.

Good luck! Do your own research and then decide what you are most comfortable with for you and your baby!

Last edited by shutterbug; November 15th, 2010 at 01:54 PM.
November 15th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThankingGOD4my2girls View Post
they say that the reason they will not do a VBAC here in my hometown is because the hospital is so small that they are not equipped to take care of the woman and the child if something were to go wrong with them like a ruptured uterus, or baby having complications, ETC........ I would drive the 2 and 1/2 hours though if I knew I could have a successful VBAC.........
This isn't very helpful, but: next time you need to go to the hospital for anything, ask a doctor what would happen if a placental abruption or uterine rupture occurred during a non-VBAC vaginal birth. If they're not equipped for a VBAC, they're not equipped for any birth and shouldn't be doing them at all.
With that said, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the local hospital has a change of policy soon.
November 15th, 2010, 01:07 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The risk of a UR is less than 1%, between .24% and .4. This risk is LESS than the risk of other obstetrical emergencies such as placental abruption or prolapsed cords.

The ACOG has also recently changed their guidelines for VBAC to NOT include the need for 24 hour anesthesia. If the hospital is still refusing to allow VBAC because of the reason they state, then they are not following the most recent rules of the governing body of OBs.

With your history of prior vaginal birth you are an EXCELLENT candidate for VBAC. Your risk for rupture is on the lower end.

If you want to have another child after this one the risk of your future pregnancies id MUCH higher with each c-section. There are things like plancenta accreta and placenta procreta which is 50% more likely to happen after the first c-section and increases even higher after that. This is a life threatening condition for you and could result in hysterectomy. Also, the risk of unexplained stillborn increases with each surgical birth. So, if more children are in your future the safest thing for you and those future babies is to do everything in your power to have a VBAC. I am a little biased of course

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 15th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies for all your help. I think that if I become pregnant again I will discuss a VBAC with my Dr. I know I will have to go out of town to have a VBAC BUT I would much rather go out of town anyway because the hospital here is honestly just a bandaide station. The only reason I had to have a C-section was because My cervix swelled up and the baby was not coming out vaginally. I pushed for 45 minutes and she hardly moved. Her heartrate was also dropping but my cervix did dialate to 10...... I really only want 1 more child so if I do decide to have one more I will more than likely get my tubes tied. Thanks again ladies......

November 16th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna. View Post
This isn't very helpful, but: next time you need to go to the hospital for anything, ask a doctor what would happen if a placental abruption or uterine rupture occurred during a non-VBAC vaginal birth. If they're not equipped for a VBAC, they're not equipped for any birth and shouldn't be doing them at all.
With that said, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the local hospital has a change of policy soon.

The local hospital here told me a similar line about why they don't allow VBACs - when I asked how they handle emergency c-sections I was told they follow and meet the national standard of care. Yes, I was left scratching my head. So they can handle emergency c-sections but not an emergency c-section following trial of labor for a VBAC? Bizarre. After that conversation I was confident I didn't want to have my baby there - even though I briefly played around with the idea of refusing to sign a consent form for a c-section so I could get my VBAC there (I came to my senses though because I don't trust them).

I'll have to drive 80+ miles for my VBAC - it's at least an hour and 20 minutes with no traffic and I'm so not looking forward to the drive while in labor but I'm determined to have it. My OB was very upfront about all the risks with c-section and VBAC and said my risk of uterine rupture is less than 1%. She never tried to talk me out of it and I feel confident that the practice I go to can handle any emergency that pops up with me or baby (there are two midwives and all the OBs are Perinatologists).

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here

Last edited by Gray_baby; November 18th, 2010 at 04:03 PM.
November 17th, 2010, 01:41 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Ditto to Jenna! If they're not "equipped" to handle an emergency c-section due to rupture or other complication then they're not equipped to handle any birth since any birth can end up in an emergency c-section.
November 28th, 2010, 01:37 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
You were on pit for 3 days?!! Did I read that right?!
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search