The misinformation makes me sad. :(

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was at a birthday party today and I overheard three women talking. One of them just had a c-section a couple of months ago and was telling the other two that she'll have c-sections with her future babies because she's "too small." Meanwhile, one of the other women is 12 weeks pregnant and starts going on and on about how she's worried about being too small too because she has narrow hips. Then one of them said something about how dangerous VBACs are and "not a lot of doctors 'allow' them, huh?" I had to bite my tongue from interjecting (I don't know any of the three women and I wasn't involved in the conversation - it made me sad to hear all of that though.)

In the playgroup I take my DD to there are 4 other women. All 4 of them had c-sections within the last year at the local hospital here. This is the same hospital that has a ban on VBACs which is why I have to travel 80+ to try for mine. This is also the same hospital where woman #1 from above recently had her c-section. As far as I can tell that hospital is all about c-sections and most of the women I know who delivered there now think they are "too small" to deliver vaginally. ARGH! This makes me so sad.

Ok, thanks for letting me vent. Any advice on how to educate without preaching to women like this? I don't buy for a second that every woman in this town is just "too small" to give birth vaginally.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
November 20th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm a very outspoken person so I tend to butt in to conversations like that. I figure if I can save one uterus from the first scar or keep one woman from an unneccessary second then it's well worth all the pissed off women I leave in my wake.
November 21st, 2010, 08:54 PM
deacons_mommy's Avatar Veteran
Hearing that stuff drives me CRAZY!!! I don't really ever know how to handle it either

November 21st, 2010, 11:10 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I tend to speak up too. If they are speaking loud enough for you to hear and it is a public forum, I say something.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 21st, 2010, 11:23 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
I tend to speak up too. If they are speaking loud enough for you to hear and it is a public forum, I say something.
I do too. Preventing the first cut is so critical to me that it's worth the few moments of feeling uncomfy.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
~Anastasia (14) C/S, 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"~
Noah (11) C/S, 8lbs 12oz, 19"~
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

November 21st, 2010, 11:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi E, just lurking as Im going for a VBAC when we concieve next, how sad and frustrating to hear stuff like that.
November 22nd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wish I was like you guys! It's one thing to stand up for something in court as my job but another thing completely when it comes to educating other women on a personal level - I'm such an introvert. I need to get some stats/facts to stash in my pocket so I can educate others without getting preachy. It just makes me so sad to hear talk like that.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
November 24th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Baby 3.0's Avatar Surprised by #3!!
I've learned lately sometimes it really isnt worth it. I have got my head bitten off by some bi***y mommas before When they are uneducated, they have no clue...

Hopefully the prego ones will read, or come on here and learn about C's. I hated my C and loved my Vbac. Praying for my 2nd vbac.

I did have a hard time finding an OB/Midwife here to allow a vbac. I had an 1 1/2 consultation looking over every little part of my C & my vbac.
November 25th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Mrs.Reesa's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's very frustrating when people just ASSUME you'll be having another C & then when you tell them no I'm going to be trying to VBAC they give you this look like you have 3 heads & are a bad momma trying to do the worst thing for your unborn child. I've even gotten this from nurses!
November 27th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Reesa View Post
It's very frustrating when people just ASSUME you'll be having another C & then when you tell them no I'm going to be trying to VBAC they give you this look like you have 3 heads & are a bad momma trying to do the worst thing for your unborn child. I've even gotten this from nurses!
Thats why I switched to my midwife The OB I had was so negative about Vbac's, I thought if one little thing went wrong he would say oh its time for a C. He actually said I was "allowed" to because I already had one. Then the OB (women) said how dangerous it was...kept going on and on...Made me feel like I was crazy for even thinking I could try it. AGAIN! DUMB DUMBS, I already did it once!!! So glad I dont have to see them, they are so negative and this group is so positive Plus there is OB's in the group, just in case. Try not to listen to them...
November 27th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Mrs.Reesa's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Believe it or not my OB's have been surprisingly supportive!!!!!! I had to go to L/D last week due to a pulled rib muscle (didn't know at the time) & the nurses in the hospital were the ones making comments!!! So now I know I will have a fight when I go in to have my daughter!
November 27th, 2010, 09:03 PM
~Lindsay~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh that is terrible. If I didn't know them I probably would not have given my opinion either. Ugh.

November 28th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Reesa View Post
Believe it or not my OB's have been surprisingly supportive!!!!!! I had to go to L/D last week due to a pulled rib muscle (didn't know at the time) & the nurses in the hospital were the ones making comments!!! So now I know I will have a fight when I go in to have my daughter!
THATS INSANE!! I had DD & DS at another hosp. I'm hoping my nurses at this one aren't so negative. Hopefully you will go into labor & deliver while those negative nurses are on shift.
January 9th, 2011, 11:56 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been very fortunate. Both the OB at my practice and the CNM that works with her have been super supportive of my VAC'S. My C section came after 5 successful vaginal births. So when I got preggo again following my C section the OB said she felt it'd be a crime to make me have another C section. I hated my section and in my own opinion, I'd go for a VBAC anyday. I've had three VBAC's now....two even with a bit of pitocin...which my OB and midwife felt was preferable to having another section...

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search