VBAC after two csections

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2010, 06:20 AM
tara80's Avatar Veteran
Hey ladies. I am currently 37 weeks pregnant with our third baby. 1st was a csection due to baby girl being frank breech and not finding out until i was in active labor. 2nd i changed drs and was given a choice and was all for a vbac until he told me that if i had an uterine rupture he would have to save me first and then the baby. Which now i know was probably just a scare tactic which really aggravates me. Anyway, i am scheduled for a csection at 39 weeks with this baby and i was not given an option this time. So, heres my question. Can you have a vbac after two sections? Has anyone here ever done it successfully? Do the risks increase majorly? I am really hoping i go into labor on my own before my csection date and have been wondering if i can push to try a vbac if i do. Of course, i havent talked to my dr about this at all, lol. Any advice, statistics, etc is greatly appreciated!!
November 21st, 2010, 11:12 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If I were you I would have some reason to need to cancel the c-section at 39 weeks. Maybe my car broke down, or my older child is sick, etc.

The risk of UR after 2 sections is very low, and not much higher than after 1 section. The ACOG actually recommends that a woman be offered a VBA2C.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 21st, 2010, 11:21 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a VBA2C with no complications whatsoever AND my labor was 34hrs. It most certainly can be done. I'd find a new OB who would support you, IMO.

November 22nd, 2010, 06:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I also had a VBA2C. I had no complications (well, okay, I had one. I bled a lot, but that was from a vaginal tear. Had nothing to do with the cesareans). Not only that, but I gave birth at 41w5d.

The risk of UR is about .2% for a woman that has never had a uterine incision. For a woman with 1 cesarean it's about .5%. For a woman with 2 it's about .7%. So, you tell me. Is a VBAC after more than once cesarean more risky? I can tell you my answer, and it's NO! The risk of rupture is LESS than 1%!!! And, when we say rupture, we aren't talking about your uterus exploding. We're talking about anything from a small opening to a large tear. Have you ever gotten a cut on your knuckle? Sometimes, while it's healing, if you bend your finger, the cut will open up a little bit. Well, that's what a uterine rupture is. The scar just opens up a bit. Most of the time, it is not life threatening to either the mother or the baby. I don't remember the numbers exactly, but of the .7% of VBAC's that rupture, only about 10% of them are life threatening. So, we're talking .07% chance of real danger to you and your baby. Only you can decide if it's worth it for you. For me, it was. You're more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the hospital that you are to die from a UR.

The biggest problem you're going to have is your doctor. Even if you go into labor before your c-date, there's no telling how your doctor is going to react.This late in the game, it can be scary talking to your doc about it. If you say it's what you want, and they're supportive...great! But if they're not? Now what? Once you go into labor, they might do everything they can to get you on the operating table. Either scaring you into it, or who knows what else. But, who knows? Maybe this doctor is supportive of VBAC's, and will encourage you! If you do bring it up, and he's willing to let you try, you need to ask what his VBAC success rates are, and also what his C/S rates are.

I wish you the best! I was like you. My first was breech, and then I basically got told I needed to have the next one after I planned on a VBAC. I had never been in labor before, and I knew I was missing out. Giving birth vaginally is an experience I will never forget. It changed me in a way none of my cesareans ever did, or could. It takes conviction on your part to see it through. Because the doctors, the hospital, or your spouse can't do it for you. It's all up to you. You're the only one that has the power in this situation. The others can help you along, or push you back. But you are the only one to keep it going.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have!

My Ovulation Chart
November 22nd, 2010, 08:06 AM
OwensMommy25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My aunt had a VBA2C at home with no adverse outcome. It can be done and I hope you find a dr. that can help.

Thanks to Pattyandthemoos For the wonderful siggy!

November 27th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Baby 3.0's Avatar Surprised by #3!!
I dont know about a VBAC2, all I can tell you was my Vbac was wonderful. Hurt like heck, but worth every minute. I have "rules" I have to follow through the entire pregnancy. One is, as soon as I go into labor I call the midwife and go straight to the hospital. No laboring at home. Small price for a Vbac They need to monitor you to make sure everything is ok. Now I see a midwife/ob group instead of just OB's.

Good luck!
November 27th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby 3.0 View Post
I dont know about a VBAC2, all I can tell you was my Vbac was wonderful. Hurt like heck, but worth every minute. I have "rules" I have to follow through the entire pregnancy. One is, as soon as I go into labor I call the midwife and go straight to the hospital. No laboring at home. Small price for a Vbac They need to monitor you to make sure everything is ok. Now I see a midwife/ob group instead of just OB's.

Good luck!
What is the point of this rule? Surely it isn't one I would follow as it is not based in evidence.

Depending on how the birth climate is in the area I live in I would have two choices, laboring at home as long as possible for my comfort, or having a home birth. If the birth climate is 'okay', I would do a hospital birth after laboring at home for a long time. If the birth climate is not so great, I will hire a traveling midwife and birth at home.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 28th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
What is the point of this rule? Surely it isn't one I would follow as it is not based in evidence.

Depending on how the birth climate is in the area I live in I would have two choices, laboring at home as long as possible for my comfort, or having a home birth. If the birth climate is 'okay', I would do a hospital birth after laboring at home for a long time. If the birth climate is not so great, I will hire a traveling midwife and birth at home.
I don't understand that rule. What is it based on? Incase you have a UR? Things don't just suddenly happen. Your uterus doesn't just tear wide open. They should keep you in the hospital the entire pg if that's the case.

November 28th, 2010, 01:19 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
I'm glad you posted this, because I was just going to myself! I'm not pg but am interested in women's stories who've delivered vaginally after 2 c/s. I have had 2 c/s and plan on having our 3rd vaginally...whenever that may come!
Mama to Jack, Ben, Marjorri and Adeline.
Human to Jeyne the Redbone Coonhound.

<3 Autism Advocate <3 Babywearer <3 Blogger <3 Nerd <3 Bookworm <3
November 29th, 2010, 05:24 PM
AmandaR
Though I opted for a repeat c section, my DR said VBA2C is fine, just less common. So hopefully you can find an OB who will be supportive.
November 30th, 2010, 10:57 AM
tara80's Avatar Veteran
Thank you everyone for your replies and all of the great info. I talked to my dr about doing the vba2c last week at my dr appt and he was very supportive and basically gave me the facts that are stated in this thread. We talked it over for quite a while and decided that a repeat csection is what is best for me and my baby this time.
November 30th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Do you mind sharing what lead you to that decision?

Sail Back to Me
November 30th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Wow.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search