Having "The Talk" with an OB?

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2010, 05:42 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
Hey ladies!
I'm due for my annual exam in February. I'm wondering what I should include in a conversation with my OB about VB2C. I'm not currently pregnant and don't plan to be when my exam comes along. I just want to have the converstation so I know where he stands, this way...if I need to I can find a different OB (or not if that's the case) if/when I do get pg. I think that I need to have this conversation while I'm not pregnant..at least for now. VBAC talk makes me abig nervous, axious and what not. I need to know what to say, so my doctor can know that I DO know what I'm talking about. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

I also plan to bring up monitoring my scar via ultrasound during pregnancy (check thickness?) and perhaps seeing about pelvic xrays before pregnancy as well. Should I offer to sign a liability waiver?

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

December 30th, 2010, 06:08 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What do you hope to accomplish with pelvic x-rays?

As far as what to ask, just talk about it. What research have you done? Have you read the studies about VBAmC? Ar eyou in contact with your local ICAN?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
December 31st, 2010, 11:42 AM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
My thought in brining up pelvic x rays was maybe that might bring my OB some reassurance that I can do this...I can deliver vaginally and a baby is perfectly capable of coming through the birth canal, given that their heads mold and so does my pelvis. I just thought that if he saw it before pregnancy that maybe might feel better about my chances of success in vbac.

The study I've read about VBmC is the latest one from ACOG. I've also done some research on monitoring during labor (Dr who did this study said it can do more harm then good...I'll post links when I get a chance - not on this computer). I have also read that laboring/birthing in different positions (other than supine) can be benefit in order to open the pelvic outlet.

I have been in touch with my nearest ICAN chapter via Facebook. One midwife posted on a question I had about home vbacs...she said I shouldn't even attempt a vb2c because ruptures are scary. One thing I have learned through all my almost 3 yrs of research is that just because there are horror stories out there, doesn't mean that you'll have one. And just because there are amazing success stories out there, doesn't mean you'll have one. BUT I think the point is about trying and hoping for the best.

THe subject of vbac makes mer nervous when it comes to medical professionals because I'm afraid of being intimidated to choosing the route they want me to go...

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

December 31st, 2010, 07:20 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You should join the ICAN yahoo group, very supportive women that are not as mainstream as FB might be.

The problem with the x-rays is they are not accurate when you are not pregnant, or in labor. The hormones of labor will make your pelvis open even wider. A doctor is quite likely to find a way to use this information against you.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
December 31st, 2010, 09:40 PM
HurricaneLady's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Personally I WOULD bring it up at your appt. - thats what I did in a NON VBAC supporting practice....I got the whole your baby could die, blah blah blah scare..... then when I sat there completely ok with the "risk" bc I knew there is ALOT of risk in a repeat c-section too then the OB said ok, I'm fine with it - I've actually done a ton before in another practice...fastforward 7 months into my pregnancy and another OB in the practice was on board... fast forward to my post delivery check in the hospital and another OB was praising my VBAC and talking about their office changing their policy OH and my hospital had a VBAC band and there were TONS of supportive/curious nurses who watched me deliver so they could see a VBAC.
If you want this you WILL do it. I would not allow an xray. I am 5'8 and 115-118 and a size 1-2 jeans and always told I have no hips and I birthed a 9lb baby with no medication.... I dont think that is going to help you unless you have a pelvic injury that needs to be monitored. KWIM? What your pelvis is NOW is not what it is in active labor fully dialated.

Parker Hudson 11/1/08 8.14, 22.5" Frank Breech Csection/Kennedy Eve 11/18/10 9lb, 21" Natural VBAC

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search