New :) - What are my chances?

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2011, 07:28 AM
MelindaZ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello Ladies,

I'm new here and hoping for some insight. I will soon be scheduled for a repeat c/s in April, but am starting to question this decision. A little background - - -

My first DS was born on 1/1/08 after 24 hrs of labor. My water broke at home and contractions started about an hour later. I only dialated to 4 cm, this was with pitocin too. I did get an epidural after about 13 hrs. Then and LO heartrate started to drop, my BP was going up and I was spiking a fever, so OB decided a c/s was necessary. DS tied a knot in his umbilcal cord and it had gotten pretty tight, they think this was making his little heartrate go down. Everything went smoothly, no complications afterwards. I'm not sure if I had a single layer suture or double.

So here we are 3 yrs later and expecting our second son. I really do not want to go thru another long labor if my body is just not going to cooperate again and stop dialating. I'm just wondering if anyone has a story similar to mine and had a sucessful VBAC. My OB and hospital do allow VBACs, so that won't be an issue. Thanks for reading!!

January 6th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never been through that, but I wanted to say I think your chances are good. Make sure you're allowed to sit up and walk(even if it's just in your room) so baby can put pressure on your cervix to help it dilate. Hopefully this little one won't have a knot in the cord, and you'll be allowed to labor longer if needed. Try to stay away from an epidural if you can. I think it slows things down, and second labors tend to go faster(but not always). Good luck.

January 6th, 2011, 06:28 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to VBAC. While his cord may have contributed to the decels of his heart, it could also have been from the epidural, pitocin or your increase in BP.

It is very unlikely for you to have the same situation happen again. If you decide to VBAC, and your membranes rupture you can prevent the infection you started to develop by not allowing any vaginal exams until you feel like you are ready to push. Vaginal exams are unnecessary and introduce bacteria to a clean environment, which is why you ended up getting a fever.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 6th, 2011, 06:34 PM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
My DS1 was a C-Section after 24 hours of labor. My water broke at home in my sleep at 36 1/2 weeks. I got an epidural after 9 hours and was 4cm. They gave me a little pitocin to keep things going. My epidural numbed me all the way to my neck, which is very dangerous. I couldn't feel anything at all. Pushing was so hard when I couldn't feel anything. I started to swell down there and DS1 wasn't moving down at all (his head was positioned wrong, it was sideways and he wouldn't turn). A bunch of other things happened too, so they did a C-Section. It was horrible! Recovery was awful!

With DS2 I had a successful VBAC. It was amazing! I did not get an epidural this time. I walked around at 5cm 100% effaced the whole last month of pregnancy. I had the doctor break my water at 39 weeks 1 day (for reasons I don't need to get in to). I sat on a birthing ball for an hour to move him down, because he was high. They wanted to check me so I laid down and next thing I knew was I needed and couldn't stop pushing. My entire labor was just under 3 hours! I don't regret it at all. Plus I was even more high risk because DS1 was born in March 2009 and DS2 was born in August 2010, so the pregnancies were to close together. But having a baby naturally was an amazing feeling. I loved it and I proved a lot of doctor's wrong. Some doctor's were thinking I had a small pelvis. Don't let the doctor's talk you out of it for any reason at all. If you want a VBAC then go for it! You sound like a good candidate.
January 7th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Thank you all! Honestly, I am really still on the fence about what to do. I am not anti-VBAC or C/S. There are also a couple of other factors that may affect my decision either way. I'm going to talk with DH and my OB at my next visit. Hearing your stories does give me hope that if I choose to VBAC things could go well. I would love to experience actually pushing my LO into this world instead of having him cut and pulled out of me, but need to weigh my individual risks for me and baby. Thanks again!!

January 7th, 2011, 12:38 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Something to consuider very strongly is whether or not you want to have more children in the future. For every surgical birth you have the risks for your next pregnancy increase. Not just for your next surgery, but for the pregnancy itself. If you know you want more, or ar enot sure if you are finished with two planning a VBAC is best for your future babies.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 7th, 2011, 12:57 PM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
And that is something the first few doctor's we saw weren't telling us. A lot of doctor's won't tell you everything up front. You have to know to ask those kind of questions or by chance get an awesome doctor that does tell you everything.
January 9th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
Something to consuider very strongly is whether or not you want to have more children in the future. For every surgical birth you have the risks for your next pregnancy increase. Not just for your next surgery, but for the pregnancy itself. If you know you want more, or ar enot sure if you are finished with two planning a VBAC is best for your future babies.
A very good point, thanks!

January 13th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Every labor is different. You have exactly the same chances for a successful VBAC as any other pregnant person.

Don't let fear take away your power to make an informed decision. I did and as I've posted in every comment I've made, I regret it every day.

Having just one previous section and a 3 year gap between babies makes you and excellent candidate. You CAN do this!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search