Questions :)

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Super Mommy
Hi ladies...

A little background: It will have been 18 months since my c-section by the time I have this next baby. I had an elective c-section because I had a HORRIBLE birth experience with my first son who was stillborn at 35 weeks. I swore I would never go through a 'natural' birth again after that. Now I am contemplating a VBAC because I really can't imagine recovering from a c-section with an 18 month old running around. Now onto my questions:

-How long was it between the time you had a c-section and your VBAC? Is there a recommended length of time between them?
-I delivered my daughter at 37.5 weeks after an amnio to prove her lungs were mature. What are my chances of being able to go early with this baby? Will I have to be full term or is there a chance I can be induced early?
-End result, I just want a live baby, but I really would like the option to do this cause we will prolly have 1 more after this baby. How did you deal with the risks of VBAC? Have any of you known anyone who have suffered a uterine rupture?

Thank you ladies for your help... Especially if you read this whole thing!! I am super scared of talking to my doctor about this for fear he will question my decision in this given that I have already lost one baby. But I can't help but also worry about how another c-section would affect Mady. How do I explain to an 18 month old that I can't pick her up?
January 26th, 2011, 11:00 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Induction is not normally something most doctors like to do with a VBAC, but it is not totally unheard of and if done properly is safe.

The recommended wait is 18 months between deliveries. So you are just fine there.

Vaginal birth is safer for you and for the baby. The risks associated with VBAC, such as uterine rupture are very low. First, UR is a small risk, and when it does happen, if it is managed properly has excellent outcomes. You can reduce your risk of a bad outcome by preparing for birth and having a natural childbirth, but it isn't a requirement to have a VBAC.

What do you think of the safety of vaginal birth for first time mothers? Or mothers without a complicated obstetrical histories? Would you have decided to have an elective c-section if your first baby was not stillborn?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 27th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm aiming for a VBAC as well and have been doing a LOT of research. The odds of a uterine rupture after one previous c-section are .7%. That is flat out RARE. It's even more rare to be severe enough to cause problems.

As for being induced, from everything I've read it's not a good idea. I can't remember the statistics, but it increases your chances for a repeat c-section pretty dramatically. My HMO caseworker is an OBGYN for over 30 years and a successful VBAC herself and she strongly recommended to me not to be induced or have any pic unless absolutely necessary.

I'm not real sure what the rules are here as I'm pretty new, but if someone gives me the OK I can post you a bunch of links with VBAC information!

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

January 27th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Super Mommy
Meghan - if I had not had the delivery with Robert that I did, I would have never chosen a c-section. In fact, up until Robert died, I wanted a natural waterbirth. His delivery was the WORST 29 hours of my life. The pain, swelling of my girly parts, ugh, I dont think there are words to describe it. My hang up is that after losing him, I will do ANYTHING to ensure my baby makes it to this world alive. That is part of the reason I chose the c-section. I believe women have to make the right decision for themselves and that's what I'm trying to do, but I want to make sure I've weighed out all my options and risks first, kwim?
January 27th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Did your son pass before labor started or after? Were you induced with him or did labor start spontaneously? I ask because a pitocin induction, especially if your body isn't ready to labor, is excruciating. Labor doesn't neccessarily progress well if your body is stressed, which leads to more pit which does nothing more than compound the problem. Pit also causes unnaturally strong contractions, this equals more pain for you and less of a chance of being able to use coping skills taugh in natural childbirth classes.
January 28th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I am so sorry for your loss and the trauma of your birth experience. I certainly understand your motivation for the repeat section after such a loss.

However, I'm excited you are ready to try a VBAC! I do know1 mommy who had a uterine rupture. She was attempting a VBA4Cs and had 6 total pregnancies, I believe. Baby and mother are both fine. She's already considering another baby .

Most dr.s will not induce a VBAC. Most dr.s will not take a VBA2C patient. I fear you might have a difficult fight ahead of you. What city are you in? 1st you need to get in touch with your local ICAN (International Cesarean Awareness Network) chapter and they can help you find a provider.

With that said, your risks are very low and there is no reason not to try. Even the earthy-birthyiest women will say that fetal monitoring makes VBAC very safe.

I am 32 weeks with triplets and plan to VBAC them after 2 previous sections. Go forth, unafraid. Contact ICAN, they will help you.

edit-WOOPS, I see you've only had 1 prior c-section. That will make it much easier on you as far as finding a provider.

Last edited by MichelleNB; January 28th, 2011 at 05:31 PM.
January 28th, 2011, 08:21 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver11princess View Post
Meghan - if I had not had the delivery with Robert that I did, I would have never chosen a c-section. In fact, up until Robert died, I wanted a natural waterbirth. His delivery was the WORST 29 hours of my life. The pain, swelling of my girly parts, ugh, I dont think there are words to describe it. My hang up is that after losing him, I will do ANYTHING to ensure my baby makes it to this world alive. That is part of the reason I chose the c-section. I believe women have to make the right decision for themselves and that's what I'm trying to do, but I want to make sure I've weighed out all my options and risks first, kwim?
There are other risks of birth in general that are just as likely to happen even without a prior c-section. A VBAC does not make labor anymore dangerous than vaginal birth is for any other woman or baby.

Do you plan on having more children? I was shocked when I was researching my stillbirth and discovered that previous c-section is a risk for a stillbirth, it upset me for sure. It cemented my resolve to VBAC, knowing it was helping to protect future pregnancies. For me even those potential pregnancies are important to consider when making decisions about my body.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search