Really want a VBAC!! Suggestions??

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Veteran
Hi! I"m new posting in here but I've been a lurker for a while. I'm really hoping for a VBAC this time. I'm 30 weeks now and I'm starting to get really nervous that my dreams of a VBAC might not happen!! I'm trying to prepare myself for everything so that I'll be educated and prepared once labor gets here. My water broke at home with DD at 35 weeks. I got to the hospital at 6.5 cm and ended up getting an epi around 7.5. I honestly think the epi stalled my labor, contributed to DD's fetal distress, and ultimately led to my emergency CS. Things were moving quickly and smoothly until immediately after my epi. As a result, this time I'm really trying for a natural, drug-free childbirth. My OB says she's onboard with me going for a VBAC. However, she wants to start stripping my membranes at 37 weeks and does not want me going past my due date. She did say that she prefers a CS over going past my due date, but she also doesn't think I"ll go past mine - based on my history. My other concern is having a large baby. She commented that she wants to do another ultrasound at 35 weeks to determane the baby's size. DD was born at 35 weeks and weighed 6lb, 9oz. She was predicted to be 10+ lbs at full term. This baby is already measuring large so I'm scared I'll eventually be told that he's too big to VBAC. I just have a lot of fears - and I really, really want a VBAC!! Any advice on how to make sure that happens??

(I live in a state where midwives, home births, and birth centers are illegal so that's not an option for me. It's very difficult to find an OB that's even semi-supportive of a VBAC so switching OB's is not really an option either.)
February 16th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One of the OBs at the practice I go to specifically told me NOT to worry about the baby's size because he's seen many women have bigger babies and successfully VBAC. He's an older OB who's been practicing over 30 years so I felt like I could believe him on that.

Why does your OB prefer a c-section over a VBAC if you don't go into labor before your EDD? From all that I've read and heard from others there is not a huge increase in risk if you go past 40, 41 or even 42 weeks - it's a very small increase. My OB said they'd prefer not to "let" me go past 40 weeks but I know they aren't going to come pick me up from my house for a scheduled CS so I'm prepared to not show up if they insist on scheduling one. I'd like to at least get my trial of labor before going straight to another c-section.

I know what you mean about not having a lot of options. Midwives cannot legally attend VBACs at home here in AZ, and the closest hospital that allows VBACs is over 80 miles from where I live. My choices are limited so I have to make due with my current OB but the more I read about VBAC, child birth positions, pain relief options available (medicine and natural), etc., the more in control and confident I feel that I will get the VBAC I want. I've been reading just about anything I can find lately and it really helps. Some resources I can recommend are:

*ICAN - International Cesarean Awareness Network
*Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (written by one of the country's leading midwives).
*Easy Labor (written by a doctor and discusses the different pain relief options, not just medical, though has a definite OB feel to it).
*Husband Coached Childbirth by Dr. Bradley (great info on labor and tips to help you relax)
There are a few more but I'm blanking out right now, I'm sure some other ladies here have some great suggestions as well.

Good luck!!!!

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search