Should I refuse the 35 week US??

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Veteran
I'm 31 weeks and really want a VBAC!! MY OB says she's supportive, but some of the things she's said make me nervous. One of her recent comments is that she likes to do an US at 35 weeks for all her VBACs. I'm assuming this is to determine position, size, etc. My DD was born at 35 weeks and weighed 6lb 9oz. They said she'd be 10+ at full term. This baby is already "measuring big" according to the fundus measurement (which isn't always accurate). With my DD the same OB was trying to talk me into a CS because she was measuring so big - I refused, but ended up with an emergency CS because of heart rate issues. I'm scared that if I do the 35 week US my OB will just use it as an excuse to insist on a CS. I'm pretty positive I'll have a big baby, and I'm perfectly ok with VBACing a 10+ pounder if that's what he weighs. I also know that ultrasounds are almost always OVERestimates of the baby's weight. Regardless, I don't want a CS just because they think my baby *might* be big!! Any advice?? Suggestions?? Anyone have experience with VBACing a large baby?
February 24th, 2011, 05:08 PM
OwensMommy25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a VBAC hopeful as well. At 36 weeks I had an US that said Baby would be large. He was already measuring 7 1/2 lbs! Well my midwife said not to listen because the can be off up to a lb!
Go with your gut... If you think your OB will use it as a reason to insist on a C/S, don't do it!

Thanks to Pattyandthemoos For the wonderful siggy!

February 24th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any personal experience but one of the OBs in the group I go to told me not to worry if this baby is measuring bigger than my DD because he's seen many women go on to have successful VBACs with bigger babies. He's been an OB for something like 30 years so I take it he's had quite a bit of experience with this.

I hope you get your VBAC! Good luck.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
February 25th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I would not do it. There is nothing they will learn from an ultrasound that will do you any good. They can tell positioning through touch, and you can map it as well with spinningbabies.com As for size, it's known to be inaccurate.
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, & expecting #5

February 25th, 2011, 01:20 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally would find a new OB, they are already setting you up for failure, and don't seem to have confidence in you. THey didn't in your first birth either.

I did VBAC a large baby, he was 9 lb 14 oz and posterior. it can be done.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
February 25th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't do it. It is pointless. They are just going to say "you have a big baby" which you already know and that gives them fuel to section you.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful Siggy!

February 28th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Here's something to mull over as well. My oldest was born at 35 weeks, 7 lbs 22" they guessed he would have been a 10 lb'er as well. My next was 37.5 weeks, 6lbs 10 oz 18.5" and my youngest was 37 weeks 5 lbs 15 oz 19.5". The OB I had with my second was so determined that I would have a big baby she was an ERCS(and he was scared that I would spontaneously combust with the first contrax.) I could kick myself now for going along with it. Is there a possibility that they had your EDD wrong? It's fairly easy to be off by a couple weeks and that can be the difference between 5 lbs and 7 lbs.
February 28th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruff79 View Post
Here's something to mull over as well. My oldest was born at 35 weeks, 7 lbs 22" they guessed he would have been a 10 lb'er as well. My next was 37.5 weeks, 6lbs 10 oz 18.5" and my youngest was 37 weeks 5 lbs 15 oz 19.5". The OB I had with my second was so determined that I would have a big baby she was an ERCS(and he was scared that I would spontaneously combust with the first contrax.) I could kick myself now for going along with it. Is there a possibility that they had your EDD wrong? It's fairly easy to be off by a couple weeks and that can be the difference between 5 lbs and 7 lbs.
My EDD is definitely spot on. We were TTC and I was charting everything. I knew my EDD when I went in for my 8 week ultrasound and the results of it put the baby with the exact same EDD as the one I'd calculated. Thanks for posting your experience though. It makes me feel better that you made it 2 more weeks with #2 and #3. Was #3 also an ERCS or a VBAC? Did you take any extra precautions to make it a little further with #2 and 3?
March 1st, 2011, 07:53 AM
Christy72's Avatar Birth doula mommy of 4
Your midwife is right. U/S can be incredibly unreliable at estimating weight this late. Mine were nearly 2 lbs off at the end. Regardless big baby doesn't mean you can't birth vaginally. I would refuse.

March 1st, 2011, 09:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was trying for VBA2C with my third, but my OB wasn't on call and the OB that was there did everything she could to eventually stress Gabe enough that we were back in the OR. I held off and labored for 31 hours with him though, made it through her breaking my water when he was still floating (she told me he was low enough that it shouldn't cause problems but he wasn't) and her starting pit without telling me. I didn't realize the pit had been started for a few hours because they kept it so low. I think the icing on the cake was the epi and the last crank on the pit to stress Gabe to where he wasn't doing well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search