We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Hi ladies, I'm Rebecca. I used post to here about a year ago, before I was pregnant. I started researching VBA2C shortly after my second sons birth, since I was determined not to have another c-section if I we ever had more children. A little background on my story, I'm due April 20th, and just switched from my Doctor's office at 30 weeks, where I saw about 5 different doctors/midwives. They didn't do VBA2C, only after 1 cesarean, regardless of ACOG's new guidelines, they refused. I had looked for anyone willing to accept me trying for a VBA2C but in the part of New Mexico( where I am) there are only 2 hospitals. One has a VBAC ban and the other does them but only after 1. I didn't want to fight, it was becoming exhausting because it seemed I had looked everywhere and my search was going no where. We are right on the TX line and I even looked for Doctors over there, but only had luck finding 1 doctor willing do VBAC's...but after 1 c-section I basically gave up, I just accepted the fact that even with traveling I would not be able to find a VBAC supportive doctor so I kept seeing my docs office and they were going to schedule my c-section in my 39th week. The farther along I got the more anxious I was about having a 3rd c-section and I just felt like I couldn't let these doctors make choices about what I do with my body! So I searched once again this time for a midwife. I found my midwife across the state line in TX. We are about 30-45 minutes from there. I called her and set up an appt. to meet with her. She does home birth and works at a birthing center, we discussed me having a VBA2C and she was %100 ok with it, she has done many VBAC's and knows how extremely rare the risk of rupture is. She did ask my reasons for the c-sections to see if I am high risk, which I'm not. My first 9 years ago. I was young, and my BP went up at my 38 weeks appt. so I was induced the next day. I only got to 3cm in 4 hours. I also had an epidural during that time which I know slows things down. They didn't want to wait due to my BP being high, so I was sent off for a section. With my second son, 3 years ago, it was just a repeat. I didn't have any other reasons for it, my BP was normal my whole pregnancy, and everything else was fine. We were stationed in a small town back then when hubby was Airforce, they had one hospital which had a ban on VBAC's. I could have driven 2 hours for every appt. but could not do that, it was just too far. So here I am 3 years later, going for my VBA2C I am not able to do a home birth which is what I wanted to begin with but the laws here in NM are different from TX, they don't let midwifes attend a home birth when the woman has had more than 1 cesarean, so I will be birthing at the birth center in TX. I actually feel more comfortable not being in the hospital, where I feel there will be more intervention pushed on me and they will find any reason to "freak out" and send me off for another c-section. I have been reading a lot on natural childbirth and trying to prepare myself mentally and physically. Unfortunately this time has also been very stressful for us, I have been getting a lot of negativity from my family (mostly on my husbands side) about my decision to VBAC and not have another c-section. Apparently they think I'm risking mine and my baby's life. They feel I should be in a hospital, they don't know how I'm gonna go all natural...the list can go on and on. I hope to find support here from other VBAC mama's and hopefuls. Glad to be here
Rebecca DH Damian
Devin-9 Ethan 3
♥Emily Lauren on her way♥
EDD-April 20th, 2011
Congrats on finding someone to let you VBAC!! I can relate to having no support. Everybody in my family and DH's family think I am off my rocker!! Why wouldn't I just schedule another c-section, it's so much EASIER!! (Yeah for you, your not the one getting cut open!!)
I would strongly urge you to reconsider having a VBAC at a birthing center. No one thinks they are going to be that 1 in 100, but if it happens you better be in a place that is prepared. It happened to me, I had only 1 prior c-section. I canceled my scheduled c-section, with my doctor's blessing, and went into labor at 39.5 weeks. My water broke while making dinner, my husband immediately drove me to the hospital. I was in extreme pain by the time we arrived,contractions every 2 minutes. Within an hour of being there (1.5 hours after my water broke) they were running me to the OR. I have never been in so much pain in my life, I thought I was going to die. Luckily for me my OB was already at the hospital for another delivery when I arrived. She sensed right away something was wrong and told me not to push (I went from dialated to 3 to 10 in 45 minutes) and I was in a hospital prepared for traumas, ORs ready, anesthesiologists ready, attached to a children's hospital with a advanced NICU. This was one of the reasons I chose to deliver there, and honestly this decision saved my life and the life of my son. There are 2 hospitals closer, with nicer rooms, better food, one even has massages- but I look for amenities in a hotel, not a hospital. When my son was delivered, he was blue and the placenta started to separate, a few more minutes and he would have been dead. My doctor was able to repair my uterus- when she opened me it was tissue paper thin in a large area and just starting to tear, she said one more push and I would have been hemorrhaging. It took me a year to be able to talk about the delivery without crying. Sometimes I still get nightmares, my son is now 18 months. If your doctors are telling you no, please listen- there may be other factors you not aware of. At the very least chose a hospital that is prepared to handle a uterine rupture- it may save your life. Also my doctor said to NEVER let anyone induce you after having a c-section- it increases your chances of rupture!
I was in extreme pain by the time we arrived,contractions every 2 minutes. Within an hour of being there (1.5 hours after my water broke) they were running me to the OR. I have never been in so much pain in my life, I thought I was going to die. Luckily for me my OB was already at the hospital for another delivery when I arrived. She sensed right away something was wrong and told me not to push (I went from dialated to 3 to 10 in 45 minutes) and I was in a hospital prepared for traumas, ORs ready, anesthesiologists ready, attached to a children's hospital with a advanced NICU. This was one of the reasons I chose to deliver there, and honestly this decision saved my life and the life of my son. There are 2 hospitals closer, with nicer rooms, better food, one even has massages- but I look for amenities in a hotel, not a hospital. When my son was delivered, he was blue and the placenta started to separate, a few more minutes and he would have been dead.
I really feel a need to comment on this. What Julie experienced with the abrupted placenta was as likely a result of PROM (where the membranes rupture before labor starts) as it was a result of the previous c-section. When a woman has PROM the uterus deflates quickly and this causes the placenta to separate from the uterine wall. Abruptio placenta happens in 1% of pregnancies world wide, regardless of the prior scar on the uterus or not. Julie also had a 'window' and dehiscence, this is not the same as a complete rupture. Many women experience this with no complications to mother or baby, it can even heal on its own. With this case, it seems the life threatening situation was from the abruption, which can happen to ANY woman no matter which birth she is having. Fist time mom, mother of 12, etc.
While I am very happy that Julie was in the right place at the right time. To say that it is not safe for a woman to VBAC out of the hospital would be the same as to say EVERY woman should birth in the hospital. Knowing what we do about how many complications are a result of interventions, it can't be said that this would be the best course of action for all births.
When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7 Sail Back to Me