Log In Sign Up

anxious after my VBAC consult appt today **UPDATE 5-21-11**


Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
March 11th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,832
I posted this in my DDC but I don't think most people understand where I am coming from if you have never had a c-section and desire a VBAC!

I had my VBAC consult today, I am not anxious about having a VBAC but we had to go over all the what ifs and horrible things and it felt like I am being a bad mom for choosing a VBAC.
The doc also said I have to have an internal contraction monitor during labor and that he actually prefers I have an epidural (which I DO NOT want) "just in case we go to section".
I want a natural birth and I am feeling like there are already going to be to many interventions! I actually called the local free standing birth center because I felt so anxious about delivering in a hospital with all that crap and found out it's ILLEGAL in WA state to VBAC at a free standing birth center!!! CRAZY!
__________________

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful Siggy!









Last edited by Sydniesmommy; May 21st, 2011 at 05:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
March 11th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,718
"Just in case"... Silliness. Why doesn't everyone have a c/s "just in case" it comes to that eventually anyway? Don't let the doctor discourage or scare you! And if you're not comfortable with an internal monitor or the epidural, don't do it. Simple fact is, no matter how bearlike and mean the doctor may get, he can't make you do anything you don't want to do. You are NOT a bad mom for wanting what's best for you and your baby!
__________________
******
Reply With Quote
  #3  
March 11th, 2011, 07:13 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,637
You are not a bad mom. Not at all. Quite the contrary, you are a very responsible, well-informed mom who knows that though, yes, VBACS do pose specific risks, so do C-Sections, particularly repeat sections, and that when those risks, on both sides are weighted and evaluated, going with a VBAC makes the most sense for you and your baby.
I would tell them that you are not comfortable with an internal monitor and then tell them what you would be willing to agree to instead (This is what has worked the best for me...saying I don't want to do X but here is what I am willing to do). For example, if you don't mind the external monitoring (and that too, is a personal decision) then you might say "I have done my research and I don't think that internal monitoring is necessary but I would be willing to be on the external monitor for twenty minutes of each hour." Or something like that. Some hospitals have different policies, for example the one I VBAC'd at required continuous external monitoring for VBAC moms. I just dealt with that by simply removing the monitors and getting up when I wanted. When the nurse would come in and ask what was going on, I just said "I'm taking a walk" really nicely but really firmly, basically leaving no room for discussion (I said it as I was walking out). When I came back in, I very compliantly put the monitors back on and they were okay with it...
It's also important to have a doctor who is in your corner though. For me, this made all the difference. I had a CNM who was very supportive of my VBAC and so was the OB she worked under...having that meant that the nurses didn't really have a card to draw..they could call my midwife all they wanted and say that I was refusing to stay on the monitor and the midwife already knew I'd do that anyway so she would just say "oh well, as long as baby looks good leave her alone for a while." And then, out of respect for the fact that she was willing to back me up, I made sure that during the times I was going to be in bed anyhow, I'd go ahead and hook up to the monitors so they could get thier tracing...
I made it clear to my midwife exactly how I felt from the get-go and gave her the opportunity to discuss with me what she was and wasn't comfortable with. If there was an issue of disagreeance between she and I (and for me there was only a couple) then we would talk about it and I'd evaluate whether or not I felt I could compromise, and she would do the same (she won on the Beta Strep testing, I won on the need for another ultrasound that I didn't think was necessary).
I've had three successful VBAC's and I have to say honestly, I can't even imagine just signing myself up for a needless repeat section. With my most recent VBAC, I was able to help pull her out and up to my chest myself and that moment is so special to me...definitly something that would never have happened in a section.
Good luck...try to stay positive and focus on all the things that ARE in your control to set yourself up for success as much as possible!
__________________


Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!



visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
March 11th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,648
I do not suggest an internal monitor for the simple fact that your water has to be broken for it to be placed and it gives you much less mobility. With less mobility your labor can be much slower, and this makes having an intact bag of water very important. It is the only cushion for baby during contractions. By leaving the bag of water intact until it breaks on its own you give baby the best chance to not get tired or stressed by the labor. As for the epi, it is ridiculous. It takes less than 10 minutes to place and take effect so it can be placed while the OR is being prepped (which takes an average of 15-30 minutes) It sounds to me that your OB is not as confident in your ability to birth naturally and vaginally. If you press for the labor to go the way you want and your OB keeps throwing up road blocks don't be afraid to find a new Dr.
__________________
Mom to 3 (1998, 2000, and 2009), step-mom to 1 (1995), two four-legged babies who bark, wife and full time student.
My days are busy, my house is messy, and my heart is full!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
March 12th, 2011, 12:13 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 20,687
An internal monitor increases the risk of infection. Also, a contraction monitor is useless anyway. Why do they even want that? Your body will do what it needs. An internal contraction monitor WILL lead to pitocin.

If I were you I would be glad he played his hand so early, you have time to RUN as fast as you can to a new doctor.
__________________

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
Reply With Quote
  #6  
March 12th, 2011, 04:51 PM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 5,666
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
I don't have much to add but I wanted to say that I completely 100% agree with the ladies above, both the internal monitor and the early epi are totally pointless and not going to do anything but lessen your chances of a successful VBAC. I hope this doc will be understand when you tell him that you are not willing to agree to those requirements otherwise I would also suggest looking for a truly supportive provider. Best of luck. I hope your get your VBAC!
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #7  
March 12th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by amf4976 View Post
You are not a bad mom. Not at all. Quite the contrary, you are a very responsible, well-informed mom who knows that though, yes, VBACS do pose specific risks, so do C-Sections, particularly repeat sections, and that when those risks, on both sides are weighted and evaluated, going with a VBAC makes the most sense for you and your baby.
I would tell them that you are not comfortable with an internal monitor and then tell them what you would be willing to agree to instead (This is what has worked the best for me...saying I don't want to do X but here is what I am willing to do). For example, if you don't mind the external monitoring (and that too, is a personal decision) then you might say "I have done my research and I don't think that internal monitoring is necessary but I would be willing to be on the external monitor for twenty minutes of each hour." Or something like that. Some hospitals have different policies, for example the one I VBAC'd at required continuous external monitoring for VBAC moms. I just dealt with that by simply removing the monitors and getting up when I wanted. When the nurse would come in and ask what was going on, I just said "I'm taking a walk" really nicely but really firmly, basically leaving no room for discussion (I said it as I was walking out). When I came back in, I very compliantly put the monitors back on and they were okay with it...
It's also important to have a doctor who is in your corner though. For me, this made all the difference. I had a CNM who was very supportive of my VBAC and so was the OB she worked under...having that meant that the nurses didn't really have a card to draw..they could call my midwife all they wanted and say that I was refusing to stay on the monitor and the midwife already knew I'd do that anyway so she would just say "oh well, as long as baby looks good leave her alone for a while." And then, out of respect for the fact that she was willing to back me up, I made sure that during the times I was going to be in bed anyhow, I'd go ahead and hook up to the monitors so they could get thier tracing...
I made it clear to my midwife exactly how I felt from the get-go and gave her the opportunity to discuss with me what she was and wasn't comfortable with. If there was an issue of disagreeance between she and I (and for me there was only a couple) then we would talk about it and I'd evaluate whether or not I felt I could compromise, and she would do the same (she won on the Beta Strep testing, I won on the need for another ultrasound that I didn't think was necessary).
I've had three successful VBAC's and I have to say honestly, I can't even imagine just signing myself up for a needless repeat section. With my most recent VBAC, I was able to help pull her out and up to my chest myself and that moment is so special to me...definitly something that would never have happened in a section.
Good luck...try to stay positive and focus on all the things that ARE in your control to set yourself up for success as much as possible!
thanks so much for your response :-) it is very helpful and so good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruff79 View Post
I do not suggest an internal monitor for the simple fact that your water has to be broken for it to be placed and it gives you much less mobility. With less mobility your labor can be much slower, and this makes having an intact bag of water very important. It is the only cushion for baby during contractions. By leaving the bag of water intact until it breaks on its own you give baby the best chance to not get tired or stressed by the labor. As for the epi, it is ridiculous. It takes less than 10 minutes to place and take effect so it can be placed while the OR is being prepped (which takes an average of 15-30 minutes) It sounds to me that your OB is not as confident in your ability to birth naturally and vaginally. If you press for the labor to go the way you want and your OB keeps throwing up road blocks don't be afraid to find a new Dr.
My feelings exactly! AN internal monitor puts a HUGE cramp in my birth plan of natural child birth and unless there is a SERIOUS medical reason for it I am going to refuse it! Thanks ladies for the encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
An internal monitor increases the risk of infection. Also, a contraction monitor is useless anyway. Why do they even want that? Your body will do what it needs. An internal contraction monitor WILL lead to pitocin.

If I were you I would be glad he played his hand so early, you have time to RUN as fast as you can to a new doctor.

I see that writing on the wall too! internal monitor leads to pitocin leads to them saying my labor is not adequate leads to repeat c-section.....
not going there!
__________________

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful Siggy!








Reply With Quote
  #8  
March 12th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,832
thanks ladies for all your support and encouragement!
__________________

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful Siggy!








Reply With Quote
  #9  
March 29th, 2011, 08:09 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pipestone, Minnesota
Posts: 6,446
Ditto to Meg, it's time to find a new doctor that is actually supportive, or better yet a H/B midwife.
__________________








Reply With Quote
  #10  
March 29th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,907
Will the midwives at the birth center deliver at a hospital? I found a midwife group near me that would take me as a patient but I couldn't deliver at the birth center, only the hospital. I ended up going with an OB group though.

I'd definitely say no to the internal monitor. I have a friend who had her first baby a few weeks ago and they broke her water at 1cm and put in an internal monitor . . . yep, she ended in a c-section even though she wanted a natural birth. I'd seriously consider finding a new doc in your position.
__________________


VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
Reply With Quote
  #11  
April 5th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Christy72's Avatar Birth doula mommy of 4
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central IL
Posts: 173
I would find a new care provider. I really would. And just so you know you don't have to do anything you don't want to even if the doc says it is "required". You can give informed refusal They can't do anything to you without consent. Just remember that!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #12  
May 21st, 2011, 05:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,832
UPDATE As fate would have it ( I am actually a Christian and have done lots of praying and believe God's hand is totally in this!) My OB will be moving 2 weeks before my due date so I was forced to find a new OB. I got advise from my dear friend who is a L&D nurse where I will be delivering (and will also be my doula) and found a doc that she thought would be a good fit.
I met my new OB for the first time yesterday and......I LOVE HER!!! She is exactly what I have been hoping and praying for and what I was looking for from the jump. She has no "c section by date" she said she would prefer I deliver in my 41st week but that means I can go longer than just 41 weeks if all is well (the last OB would not allow) She is totally all for my hypnobabies birth plan and is so positive and wonderful. It feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders!
__________________

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful Siggy!








Reply With Quote
  #13  
May 21st, 2011, 06:38 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 35,050
Thats awesome!!! Things always seem to work out in the end!!
__________________


=May '05 and '11


Reply With Quote
  #14  
May 21st, 2011, 07:45 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,791
Oh, how fantastic! Good luck on your VBAC journey!
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #15  
May 22nd, 2011, 10:47 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 20,687
Wow, what a complete relief!!!! I am so happy for you!
__________________

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
Reply With Quote
  #16  
May 23rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pipestone, Minnesota
Posts: 6,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
An internal monitor increases the risk of infection. Also, a contraction monitor is useless anyway. Why do they even want that? Your body will do what it needs. An internal contraction monitor WILL lead to pitocin.

If I were you I would be glad he played his hand so early, you have time to RUN as fast as you can to a new doctor.
Ditto run that doc is cut happy.
__________________








Reply With Quote
  #17  
May 24th, 2011, 08:02 AM
*Candi*'s Avatar Candi
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 8,645
oh yay! thats great!
__________________

Thank you GraysMama for an awesome siggy!


Reply With Quote
  #18  
May 25th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 652
You need to get with ICAN. Also, find out if there are really laws like that, because sometimes, places hide behind supposed laws that do not exist.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
May 25th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,907
Yay! I'm so happy you found a supportive doctor!
__________________


VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
Reply With Quote
  #20  
June 10th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Jaci's Avatar I AM a Doula :)
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Moorhead, MN
Posts: 549
You are so close mama, I hope things are going well!
__________________
Jaci (jay-cee) : photographer : wife to Chris : sahm to Connor, 10/25/2007 via c-section & Graeme, 11/30/2009 via vacuum assisted VBAC

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my siggie!

Our Family Blog
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:02 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0