Home birth or at hospital???

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2011, 06:36 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I keep going back and forth!!!

I have a consult set up with a midwife that does vbac's at a hospital in about a month. I don't know if she will take me as a patient since I've had 3 c/s or not. I also have the name of a midwife who does home births that most likely will take me as a patient. I haven't contacted her yet because I was waiting to see what I found out with the first midwife.

I don't know which birth I would prefer. I would love being at home and not have to worry about getting to the hospital. I would love having one on one with the midwife and not worring about the hospital staff bothering me. Plus, I don't want to be confined to a bed, given pitocin, ect BUT what if the pain becomes too much for me to handle. At home, I can't get an epi or any other form of pain meds.

Part of me is saying to just talk to the home birth midwife and cancel the appointment with the other one but I don't know if thats what I really want or not.

Are you set on a home birth or a hospital birth??

=May '05 and '11

March 17th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
One thing to think about is that fact that at home where you are most comfortable the pain will seem less intense for a longer peiod of time. You are better able to work through it when you are comfortable and relaxed. I would reccomend a good natural birthing class, bradley or hypnobabies something along those lines. They are fantastic at getting you ready for labor. Oh, and one other thing, with you never having felt labor a homebirth eliminates the chance of getting to the hospital too early and ending up with all the interventions that lead to another c/s.
March 17th, 2011, 09:49 AM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
*I* am 100% set on having a homebirth this time. This will be my VBA2C and I am willing to take my 98% chance of having a natural, normal, safe birth at home versus the 98% chance that I will have another c/s if I set foot in a hosptial. What I have heard is that labor is alot easier at home, it is shorter and less uncomfortable and honestly I think the excitement of knowing you are about to have a VBAC will help keep your focus off the pain. Plus you can take showers or labor in a tub, eat and walk and change positions as much as you need which will also help alot with the pain. For me just the thought of walking into a hospital equals c/s but I know there are women who have successful had a VBAMC in a hospital but it was after alot of fighting even after having found a supposedly supportive care provider. There are just too many variables and other people involved with a hospital birth, i just feel for me a homebirth is my absolute best chance at a successful VBAC. Best of luck to you!!!

March 17th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruff79 View Post
One thing to think about is that fact that at home where you are most comfortable the pain will seem less intense for a longer peiod of time. You are better able to work through it when you are comfortable and relaxed. I would reccomend a good natural birthing class, bradley or hypnobabies something along those lines. They are fantastic at getting you ready for labor. Oh, and one other thing, with you never having felt labor a homebirth eliminates the chance of getting to the hospital too early and ending up with all the interventions that lead to another c/s.
I completely agree. I'm afraid that if I get there and I'm not far enough along that they will start interventions to help me dilate faster and if that doesn't work then I will "need" a c/s.

=May '05 and '11

March 18th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Christy72's Avatar Birth doula mommy of 4
I am doing a homebirth and I am a vba3c with GD and mild hypertension. Best of luck with what you decide.

March 23rd, 2011, 09:19 AM
blessdmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
I'm not yet pregnant but am hoping when the time comes, I can help DH feel comfortable with a HB2C.
Mama to Jack, Ben, Marjorri and Adeline.
Human to Jeyne the Redbone Coonhound.

<3 Autism Advocate <3 Babywearer <3 Blogger <3 Nerd <3 Bookworm <3
March 23rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
I've been leaning more toward a home birth. I've looked into hypnobirthing...it seems very interesting and kinda cool.

I'm scared that if I go into a hospital that I will end up having another c/s. Thats not something that I want AT ALL unless either the baby or I are in danger.

=May '05 and '11

March 29th, 2011, 07:11 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went for a homebirth I didn't get it but, that was partially my fault, because I stayed in my OBs care to long before switching. Legal stuff ended up in my file and but the time, it got to my midwife. She was worried about the legal stuff that she had to risk me out of her care. So I was left with the decision to UBAC, or another C/S. I wanted to UBAC but I had no support at the end and ended up with another C/S.
Find your HB midwife as soon as possible, and at least go in for a consult. It can't hurt and you'll know where you stand right form the get go.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search