VBAC induction?

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Veteran
I just had my 38 week appt I'm 2cm and 0 station. I was so disappointed in the 2cm that I didn't hear, or didn't ask what the effacement was. I was 70% effaced last week. I had my membranes stripped last week and today. I lost my mucus plug Wednesday (2 days after 1st stripping). I had contractions all last week and 2 days of false labor, so I really thought I'd progressed more than 2cm. (I was 1.5 the week before and she said she was being "generous" by calling it 2 cm today.) My DD was born at 35 weeks so I really thought he would already be here by now, but here I am, bouncing on a birthing ball and only 2 cm!!

I'm so disapopinted because today my OB said I had to come up with a date to schedule a CS if I don't go into labor naturally. She said she'd let me go 41.5 weeks but not to 42 weeks. I know I still have 3 weeks but just the thought of another CS depresses me! I don't want one scheduled on the books. I want a VBAC!! I asked her if she would induce before going straight to a CS and she said no way. Not even rupturing my waters.

So now I'm in panic mode. I've got to get labor going. I'm bouncing on the birthing ball now, will be DTD as soon as DH gets home, I'm taking EPO orally (I'm still unsure of how to take it vaginally), and walking as much as possible. Is there anything else I can do?? Does anyone know of any safe induction techniques with a VBAC??
April 14th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Why won't she agree to break your water? That's one thing my OB has said they will do. Also inserting a foley bulb in your cervix may help to move things along some more. But they won't work after you're like 3-4cm because they fall out.

I hope you go into labor on your own soon! And remember, your doc can schedule all the c-sections she wants but you don't have to show up for them!!!!

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
April 15th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Veteran
She said she won't break my water because the ACOG highly frowns on it. I'm actually a little surprised she's not insisting on a CS before 41.5 weeks... but I don't want one at all!! I'll be 39 weeks this Mon and she'll strip my membranes again. It's a full moon that night so maybe, just maybe, something good will happen!! I'm trying to stay positive and not get too anxious!
April 17th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
To take EPO vaginally, you just take a pill, poke a hole in it with a sterile needle, and shove it up there.

I know you're stressed...but STOP IT! It will happen when your baby is ready to be born. We all like to think that our natural induction methods will start us in labor, but the fact is that it wont happen until baby is ready, no matter what you do. And stressing out is not going to help. Your baby is getting those stress hormones, and it recognizes what is going on with you. So your job needs to be to stay calm, and talk to your baby. Using positive words, let it know your needs. Say things like, "I need you to be born in the best way for you and me. That way is a VBAC. Let's work together! I'm ready to meet you, and I want to hold you in my arms. If you're ready, come to me!"

I know, sounds a little corny, but positive self-talk really does help.

As for the cesarean, you can always stall. My doc also said 41.5, but I went longer. I just kept going in for non-stress tests and putting things off. "Oh, that day wont work, I have such-and-such. What do you have available next week?" etc. Or, once you have it scheduled, you can call the hospital and tell them something came up, you can't make it, and that you need to reschedule it. Make it for a week later.

I think that your cp should be willing to do some inductions, rather than go straight to a cesarean, but, it's hard to change their minds once it's made up.

You still have 2 1/2 weeks, and your body is already progressing. I really don't think you should have anything to worry about! Have faith in your body, you can do it!

April 20th, 2011, 08:48 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One, dilation and efacement now are meaningless. With my second VBAC ababy I saw the midwife on a Thursday, I was high closed and not at all effaced. My cervix was so high she could barely reach it. I had been having start stop, prepatory labor for a week already. The baby came after only four hours of labor on Sunday morning at 3:05 a.m.

Here is my advice. No more cervical checks until you are ready to push. Not for any reason, they are wriothless and only give the doctor amuunition with which to use against you. They also increase the risk of infection.

If the doctor requires you to schedule a c-section because they won't 'let you' be in control of your own body and are going to forcefully strap you to a table and cut your baby out of you, do it on your terms. Schedule for 24 weeks 1 day, and then have an emergency and re-schedule it.

Also, I know a woman that just this week switched providers at 42+ weeks so she could get a gentle induction as opposed to a c-section.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
April 20th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, with Elizabeth I was a 1 until I went into labor at 41 and 6 and I dilated to 10 in 4 hours. It is MEANINGLESS.

And really I agree to stop stressing, even though I know how hard it is. You have a LOT of time. I really tend to believe you will go before the deadline, easy peasy.

April 25th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Christy72's Avatar Birth doula mommy of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
One, dilation and efacement now are meaningless. With my second VBAC ababy I saw the midwife on a Thursday, I was high closed and not at all effaced. My cervix was so high she could barely reach it. I had been having start stop, prepatory labor for a week already. The baby came after only four hours of labor on Sunday morning at 3:05 a.m.

Here is my advice. No more cervical checks until you are ready to push. Not for any reason, they are wriothless and only give the doctor amuunition with which to use against you. They also increase the risk of infection.

If the doctor requires you to schedule a c-section because they won't 'let you' be in control of your own body and are going to forcefully strap you to a table and cut your baby out of you, do it on your terms. Schedule for 24 weeks 1 day, and then have an emergency and re-schedule it.

Also, I know a woman that just this week switched providers at 42+ weeks so she could get a gentle induction as opposed to a c-section.
Seriously THIS! They can't make you do anything. Cervical checks only give you one piece of information. The state of your cervix "NOW" and nothing more. It won't predict what will happen say an hour from now. They are useless. The advice on the positive self talk and the EPO are also very good. Would you consider switching care providers?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search