Hi everyone!

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm Allison and I'm 20 weeks with #3. I'm a type 1 diabetic and hoping to VBA2C! I see a Perinatologist who will allow me to try so long as I go into labor on my own. He is also letting me go to 40 or 41 weeks which I was surprised at (my last two they took at 37w6d because of my diabetes). My first was breech so I had a c-section. My second was a repeat as the dr wouldn't allow a VBAC and I didn't know I could fight it. My dr said my risk of rupture is about 3% which from the research I've done is not accurate. He said he's done hundreds of successful vbacs and has had 3 go bad. One, the baby didn't make it, one had extensive brain damage and the other, the baby was fine but mom had to have a hysterectomy. Those are scary thoughts. I am terrified that this could happen but I also really want this. I feel like I missed out on something important. I have never been in labor even. This doesn't seem right to me. I've done extensive research and it seems my odds are pretty low, especially since I had double layer sutures, but my DH is not on board. He says any argument that uses statistics has already been lost and there is a reason dr's aren't comfortable with VBAC and that I shouldn't take ANY risk. This is so frustrating! Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable?
April 14th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Next time he wants to argue risk let him know that your risk of hysterectomy with a 3rd c/s is somewhere in the 10-15% range and see what he thinks of THAT risk. Or that your risk of hemmorhage is up in the 20% range, with a 10-12% chance of needing a blood transfusion. You also run somewhere in the 20-30% range for baby to have respiratory distress post birth. All births carry some risk, but a surgical birth is inherrantly more dangerous and the risks go up with each subsequent surgery. Never mind that fact that most OBs don't want to do vbacs because many hospitals have a policy in place requiring them to be on campus the entire time you are in labor and most of them just have no interest in spending 12+ hours at the hospital for one mom. And you're right, after 2 normal low transverse incisions your risk of rupture is about 0.9% and with the right provider you have a 75% success rate, with a first time mom only having a 60-65% chance at vaginal birth in the first place.
April 14th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, thanks for all the info.
April 14th, 2011, 07:39 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got my husband on board with a VBAC after multiple c/s by showing him tons if research. He was scared that something would happen during the birth and I showed him that there is MORE of a risk with a repeat c/s than if I birth vaginally. I also told him that most dr's don't want to do VBAC's because they don't want to be liable if something does go wrong even though the chances are very low that something will go wrong.

Here are some links that I fould helpful:

Risks of VBAC and Repeat C-Section :: hippie dippie bébé
http://cfmidwifery.org/pdf/ResearchV...CAN04-2009.pdf
VBAC.com | What Is a Uterine Rupture and How Often Does It Occur?

Hope that helps and congrats on your pregnancy!!

=May '05 and '11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search