We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
We planned a homebirth for our first and had a c/s for deep transverse arrest. Our transfer experience was horrific because of how the hospital treated us. Houston is really, really VBAC hostile in general.
After doing 18 jabillion hours of research, I narrowed it down to 4 providers in the Greater Houston Area I wanted to interview. I have interviewed two and already have options!
1) Homebirth with my midwife. Of course I want to do this. I LOVE her. We are not comfortable doing it without a backup doc, because of last time. She has backup docs, but they don't do primary VBAC.
2) Dr. F. He will do my VBAC in the hospital, or back up my homebirth. The sticking points on the hospital birth are that he only does them at one old hospital with kind of off policies, and that he requires CEFM and an intrauterine pressure catheter. Hellllllo laboring on your back, in bed. The sicking point with homebirth is that he wants me laboring close. We don't live close. I've been looking into hotel birth. My midwife has done this before and thinks this option is aweeeeesome.
3) Dr. E. will do my VBAC in the hospital. The best, most awesome, most evidence-based hospital around. With nurses who think VBACs and natural birth are awesome. With wireless monitors that can go in the tub. With intermittent monitoring and a willingness to gently induce or augment if necessary (I realize this is contraversial. I have done my research and find this valuable in a provider.) The sticking point with him is that he will only "let" me go to 41 weeks. If one other Dr in the practice will agree to back him backing me to 42 weeks, he would agree to it. I'm waiting to hear back.I had a 42 weeker, so this is a real concern of mine.
What is so odd, is that Dr F seems SO much more supportive of VBAC. He really believes in its safety, and really believes I am likely to be successful, but he has several restrictions I do not like. Dr. E seems a little scared and cautious around VBAC and while I know he would never say it, I got the feeling he thinks I would not be successful, but yet there are almost no restrictions.
And while I was almost sure we'd be planning a hotel birth, now that seems like an awful lot of fuss when there is such a viable option at such a good hospital.
Yeesh! We will see what the other two providers hold!
Last edited by Sk8ermaiden; May 17th, 2011 at 09:13 PM.
Wow, this is great news! You really have a lot to think about but it is wonderful that so many doors have opened up to you.
I like best the option of doing the hotel birth with Dr F. backing you up (I am willing to bet you will be successful). Will he 'let' you go to 42 weeks? You seem in general more confident in Dr F.'s mindset regarding VBAC although I agree that the IUPC monitoring and other policies the hospital has are archaic, but ultimately you do have the right to refuse those if it came down to it, right?
I suppose I could refuse. I don't know how that would go over. Yes, I absolutely believe he has more faith in VBAC and me. While Dr. E was very diplomatic and never said anything outright, his little comments basically added up to "You probably have a platypelloid pelvis and your only real shot at a VBAC is to have a small baby at 37 or 38 weeks." Like I said, he didn't SAY it, but the leading questions definitely left that impression.
But my worst fear would be being in a hospital and having a bad experience again, especially a c/s and regretting every decision I made because I could have been in the good hospital. I also am really scared of the noise factor in a hotel because I was NOT QUIET the first time. Think angry cow.
I don't know!! I am really being led towards Dr. E. I will barely see the doc in labor anyway and the nurses and policies and facilities matter SO MUCH. I am willing to fight in labor if I have to, but I really don't want to.
Right now, at this very moment, not even pregnant, my inclination is to go with Dr. E and if he gets too antsy for my liking before 30 weeks, I will switch to Dr. F. For hospital birth or homebirth I am not entirely sure. I do have one more provider to interview who delivers at the good hospital, but I am a little skeptical she will have more liberal labor policies than Dr. E. We'll see though - I have been surprised already.
I think I am just scared witless that at the twice weekly NSTs after 39 weeks they'll be looking for any and every reason to induce or section.
Kellie, you are so very lucky to have such good choices. While I know what one I would chose, it is not my birth Good luck in deciding, I didn't even realize you had a plan to ttc anytime soon. I can't wait to follow/stalk your journey
Jaci (jay-cee) : photographer : wife to Chris : sahm to Connor, 10/25/2007 via c-section & Graeme, 11/30/2009 via vacuum assisted VBAC