Hoping for a VBAC

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2011, 05:49 PM
5 girls + 1 boy
Hi Everyone,
I am due in October with a little boy. I have 5 girls, the last 2 were twins, born by csection. I was miserable with a csection as my last 2 before had been natural, vaginal births. I am hoping for a VBAC but I am a little worried as well. I am worried about uterus rupture of course, and was hoping for any information on this. My csection was over 3 years ago. I didnt have any complications with it but it was miserable. I have gestational diabetes and baby is measuring big. My primary concern is, my hospital doesnt have anesthesia at the hospital 24/7, they are on call. So I am worried if something did go wrong, we would be waiting for someone to get there to put me order. The next closest hospital that has 24 hour is an hour away. Any advice would be great!

May 29th, 2011, 05:17 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How would you feel about delivering at that hospital if you did not have a scarred uterus?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 30th, 2011, 07:08 PM
5 girls + 1 boy
Id hate it. I wanted to deliver at a birthing center here, but financially it wasn't possible this time.

May 31st, 2011, 01:33 PM
Safety wise? I would love a birth center birth too, but I can't have one here because they are all run by direcet entry midwives and they can't attend VBACs.

But at any rate, comfort aside, if you didn't have a scarred uterus, would you worry about your safety at that hospital in regards to the anethsiologist being on call vs. in the hospital. How is it for toher women that want the typical American birth? Safe enough?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 5th, 2011, 06:03 AM
5 girls + 1 boy
Im sure their safety is fine. My only concern was my doctor made it seem like a huge deal. I went to our hospital tour yesterday and they have 24 hour so Im not really sure what the OB was talking about. I do have a long list of questions for her on wednesday though.

June 5th, 2011, 04:42 PM
If the hospital is generally safe for most women, then it is equally safe for VBAC. As a VBAC momma you are at risk for a uterine rupture during labor, but also before labor regardless of your planned mode of delivery. Nearly as many ruptures happen before labor as happen during labor. So the threat/fear of UR is often over dramatized by doctors trying to coerce you into doing what is easier for them, scheduling surgery. Nice and planned and quick for them. Most hospitals require an OB to 'labor sit' a VBAC momma, which means they HAVE to stay at the hospital the entire time you are in labor, even if it takes hours and hours.

There are other obstetrical emergencies that are just as likely or more likely to happen, that happen to all pregnant women equally. These emergencies are just as dangerous as uterine rupture. So, any doctor that says they cannot attend, or make it seem like VBAC is too dangerous, really shouldn't be in OB at all. If they can't handle an emergency that only happens less than 1% of the time, then they surely can't handle a prolapsed cord, placental abruption or shoulder dystocia either.

I would definitely question the doctor about what they said in reference to the anesthesia being on call versus 24 hour. If they lied to you, then that would be a huge red flag. I would take that as a chance to realize they are not the right provider for you and find someone else. If they lied about something so easily checked out, wouldn't they also lie to you about things that you might not really understand, like say the baby is in distress or that a procedure is safe when there are risks?

Sail Back to Me
June 8th, 2011, 04:11 AM
5 girls + 1 boy
Oh, I plan on it today, I have an appt in an hour. Im writing down all my questions with help from this board. Im not sure if she was referring to our old hospital. We just had a new hospital built and open and I dont think they had 24 hour there, however, from what Ive read and heard, they do now so Im going to ask today. Ive been happy with her, however one of the other doctors in her practice is c-section happy so that doesnt thrill me. Especially since I seem to always get stuck with THAT doctor. Im going to go see what is said today and if need be, ill transfer to another practice.

June 8th, 2011, 01:59 PM
KUP!

Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search