New here - Intro & general VBAC question!

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies! My name is Megan, I am mom to 8 month old DS, Gabriel.
Gabriel was born on his EDD, but unfortunately after 18 hours of labor I was fully dialated but he was simply not coming down. In fact, he was slowly moving farther up...which is odd. So ultimately I had to have a C-section to deliver him. I had an extremely painful and hard recovery from my C and I'm not wanting to do it again.

I feel fairly torn on this bc I know I'd love to have a vaginal birth, but I'm scarred I'll ultimately have to have a C again and go through the same thing. But I think I'm leaning towards trying a VBAC just once for my own interest and if it doesn't work out a second time then it may just not be the right option for me when future children come along.

I live in GA and was told afterwards by my OB/GYN that it is "illegal to have a VBAC now in the state of GA". I find this hard to believe. Does anyone know if this has any truth to it?

I was not in love with my OB/GYN practice either. SO my main question is how do I go about finding an OB/GYN who would be willing to consider a VBAC for me?

I'm looking for this now bc I'd rather start trying out OBs during my yearly paps then franticly try to find one when I do get pregnant say 1-2 years from now.

June 15th, 2011, 07:18 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Your doctor is a liar. It is NOT illegal to VBAC in any state in the U.S. NOt even remotely so. In actuality the ACOG (which is the organization that gives guidelines to OBs) has recently made VBAC easier to obtain. They even state that it should be offered to women with 2 previous c-sections and not having an OR or anesthesia available should not stop a woman from being able to request to VBAC at any hospital.

How close are you to Norcross, GA? If you are within a reasonable distance he is a VERY VBAC friendly doctor. He had attended VBAC after multiple c-sections and also VBAC for twins and triplets! If you are not close to him, calling his office and requesting a referral to a VBAC supportive provider in your area might not be a bad idea.

You may also find this helpful ICAN of Atlanta: Home If you are not in the Atlanta area, they still will be helpful.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 15th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ICAN is a great resource for finding a VBAC friendly provider as well as other great VBAC info.

I'm so sad to hear your old OB is telling women it's illegal!

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
June 16th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Thank you so much! I will start doing some digging today.

Im sad he is telling women this too, but also not very surprised. He had absolutely no bed side manner!

June 16th, 2011, 12:17 PM
HONEYBUNNY61's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I understand your fear of going through labor again just to end up with a cs when you could have avoided labor all together. But I figured I'd be more disappointed for not trying at all than if I did try and still ended in cs.

Hope you find a vbac friendly dr. soon!

VBAC, NATURAL BIRTHING, BREASTFEEDING, BABYWEARING, CLOTH DIAPERING MOM!
June 16th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONEYBUNNY61 View Post
I understand your fear of going through labor again just to end up with a cs when you could have avoided labor all together. But I figured I'd be more disappointed for not trying at all than if I did try and still ended in cs.

Hope you find a vbac friendly dr. soon!
ITA with you. This is my persistant thought, which is why I would choose to try just one last time for a vaginal birth. I guess I'll just be disappointed if I ultimately end up going thru the same thing, but I'm the one going through all of the pain so it's my choice. I just don't want to drag other through it again either tho (DH, Mom, ect.)

But I really want to give it one last try. I figured I tried once and things didn't go the way I wanted, I'll try once more and if I end up having to have a C-section again then if we have a third child a scheduled repeat c-section may be my best option.

It's frustrating that some Dr.s wont even let you try tho...even after only one C-section.

June 16th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I should have added the doctors name. Dr. Tate.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 18th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That is absolutely wrong! I am delivering in Savannah, GA and my dr is letting me attempt a vba2c.
June 19th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Jaci's Avatar I AM a Doula :)
Hey mama, were you induced? Or did your water break without having labor start?

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my siggie!

Our Family Blog
June 20th, 2011, 09:06 AM
My water broke and they made me get petocin and a catheter which was excrusiating and I had to get an epi for it (long story!) so things didnt start off the way I had planned. Some Dr I hadnt even ever met apparently from my practice...

June 21st, 2011, 07:04 PM
Yeah, you were induced. Blah! I sure wish doctors would just WAIT.

Sail Back to Me
June 22nd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memi View Post
ITA with you. This is my persistant thought, which is why I would choose to try just one last time for a vaginal birth. I guess I'll just be disappointed if I ultimately end up going thru the same thing, but I'm the one going through all of the pain so it's my choice. I just don't want to drag other through it again either tho (DH, Mom, ect.)

But I really want to give it one last try. I figured I tried once and things didn't go the way I wanted, I'll try once more and if I end up having to have a C-section again then if we have a third child a scheduled repeat c-section may be my best option.

It's frustrating that some Dr.s wont even let you try tho...even after only one C-section.

I was terrified of going through labor again and ending up with another c-section. But I did my best not to think about that and instead focused on how I was going to get my VBAC. I'm beyond happy that I did too because I got my VBAC on April 29th when my DD was born. So if you really want a VBAC think positive and do everything you can to make it happen and most importantly - believe in yourself!

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
June 22nd, 2011, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memi View Post
My water broke and they made me get petocin and a catheter which was excrusiating and I had to get an epi for it (long story!) so things didnt start off the way I had planned. Some Dr I hadnt even ever met apparently from my practice...
The reason I ask is because when water breaks and labor doesn't start, it is a good indication that baby was in a malposition. There are things you can do to help that before and during labor. It isn't a deal-breaker by any means!

Our Family Blog
June 28th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaci View Post
The reason I ask is because when water breaks and labor doesn't start, it is a good indication that baby was in a malposition. There are things you can do to help that before and during labor. It isn't a deal-breaker by any means!
Well to be honest, they didn't really give me a chance to do anything on my own. IMO my body *was* doing what it needed to do. My water broke on its own, I was 2 1/2-3 cm dialated at my last appointment a week prior, when I arrived at the hospital I was 4 cm dialated. As soon as they checked me and sent me to L&D, a Dr. I've never seen before basically told me getting pitocin started is what had to happen...I just *hated* every part of my labor experience. Nothing went as planned and whatever I wanted was brushed aside. Looking back there was no reason I needed such early interventions IMHO.

June 28th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Yup, and knowing all that can explain why your DS went back up, you may have been in labor, but that darn pitocin and all of those interventions basically wedged him in and didn't allow him to get into a better position. I've been there mama (where is that hug smiley?) and while my second was also not positioned very well, I was still able to VBAC. If you are still looking into it you can start looking at malpositions and how to correct them.

Our Family Blog
July 7th, 2011, 07:20 AM
OwensMommy25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I attempted a VBAC and it was not successful, but I would not have given up that experience. I was terrified to end up with a C again, and it happened... BUT I got to try! I would highly recommend a VBAC!!

Thanks to Pattyandthemoos For the wonderful siggy!

July 9th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensMommy25 View Post
I attempted a VBAC and it was not successful, but I would not have given up that experience. I was terrified to end up with a C again, and it happened... BUT I got to try! I would highly recommend a VBAC!!
Do you mind if I ask why it wasn't successful?
July 12th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I'm interested to hear as well. Since you had a C the first time and attempted a VBAC the second, if you had another would you go ahead and schedule a third C-section or try a VBAC again? Why?

I still feel so torn about it. Really, really torn! I think if I had to decide I would still want to try for a VBAC if I can find the right Doctor tho.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search