What made you decide on VBAC??

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I really really thought I was set on a VBAC but now I'm having a hard time deciding to do a VBAC vs repeat C/S. I was looking at statistics and it was like 4/100,000 moms die with a repeat c/s vs 2/100,000 with a VBAC....but 6/100,000 babies die with a VBAC vs 3/100,000 with a repeat c/s......

So I can do a VBAC and double my baby's risk of dying or I can do a repeat C/S and double my risk of dying......LOSE LOSE SITUATION!! Now part of me is saying C/S is a safer choice because I've been through it before so I don't think I would die....I know that's irrational but my mind is just running me in circles! I'm scared to do a vaginal birth...worried about the pain/recovery and same goes for c/s too! I had pain with my c/s scar all the way up til my son was 1 year old! Not all the time, but man when that searing pain ran through it, it sucked! I keep thinking if I labored and ended up needing a c/s anyways I'd be pissed that I went through labor for nothing and should've just gone in for a c/s looking all pretty and with tons of energy! Ugh, so anyways....it would help me to know what made you ladies decide to do a VBAC. What was the deciding factor/s? Any helpful websites or statistics that put you over the edge? Thanks for listening
June 25th, 2011, 12:33 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WIth my first VBAC iI decided because it was offered to me and just made sense. I had not done any research, but my OB told me that the recent research that was turning women away from VBAC was flawed (the 2001-2002 NEJM study). That started me on researching VBAC more and more.

Now I choose VBAC because of many reasons, the first being that although it appears VBAC is more likely to result in baby's death, those statistics too are skewed. Plus, as a mother I have to think of my children before myself. While I never want to lose another baby, I know that I could handle the lose of my baby better than my living children could handle the lose of their mother.

Something to keep in mind when reading research and looking at statistics. One is that vaginal birth as a whole, not just VBAC is slightly more likely to result in fetal death because of hte risk of hypoxic injuries during delivery. But, c-section is more likely to result in a NICU stay and other life threatening conditions such as respiratory distress, which can lead to death after the neo-natal period. Unfortunately, those deaths are never attributed to the method of delivery. They should be because it would probably even out the stats when it came to the safety of VBAC vs ERCS. Another point is that when a baby dies before birth the mother is HIGHLY encouraged to VBAC that baby. So, the stillborn babies are then born vaginally, and thus counted as part of the statistics for fetal demise with VBAC. This leads to the data being skewed to make it seem that VBAC is more likely to result in a dead baby, when some of those babies died before labor even started.

Another thing to consider is if you know you want more children or are undecided about future pregnancies. The biggest risk with multiple c-sections is to your future unborn babies. Those risks are VERY significant and increase exponentially with each surgical delivery.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 27th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did a ton of research before my VBAC and the biggest considerations for me were: 1) the increased risk to me if I had a RCS, 2) ease of recovery from VBAC vs. RCS and 3) the increased risks of having multiple c-sections since we plan to have at least one or two more.

I'm thrilled I trusted my gut and went with the VBAC. Sure I had some discomfort from a vaginal delivery (I had an episiotomy and 3rd degree tear) BUT it was nowhere near as bad as the recovery from my c-section.

The NIH Consensus Statement has a lot of good info: NIH Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC) Conference - Panel Statement

It's a very personal decision though so I hope you are able to figure out what is right for you. Good luck!!!

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
June 27th, 2011, 10:40 AM
*Candi*'s Avatar Candi
The biggest reason I am leaning towards a vbac is because I dont want to look back in 10 years and say I wish I had tried, kwim? I want the experience of a vaginal birth. If it doesnt work and I end up with another c/s I'll live because at least I tried. I dont know if that makes sense to you, but thats my reason

Thank you GraysMama for an awesome siggy!

June 27th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies
July 23rd, 2011, 09:22 AM
Keepin' it real!
I know this is a late question, but you still have lots of time to decide.

I just successfully completed a VBAC a little over a week ago. Baby was large, too! I didn't want a c-section because it was the WORST experience I had ever had and I also want to be a surroagte again and most RE clinics will not touch you if you have had more than one or two c-sections. I believe many say maximum is 3, so that would limit the # of surrogacies I could do and if ever I were crazy enough to have wanted another child, that would limit me there too. I really like the freedom I have to be able to do this again; had I had a section, I couldn't.

Some factors to consider: First, WHAT was the reason for the section? If your baby was in distress or not in the right position, you are a great candidate for a VBAC! If it was due to placental abruption or other complication, then you'd want to talk to your OB. Also, repeat C-sections can make it harder on you each time you have a baby. The risks go up with each one. Infections are more common with sections. Recovery takes longer. You can't hold your baby right away.

Also consider the ACOG now recommends VBAC over repeat c-sections because of the risks of surgery. A caesarean is major surgery, even though they are very common.

the statistics can often be misleading. A VBAC doesn't cause a baby to die. Complications from birth (including surgical) is what causes babies to die. Some babies have problems that include the placental or cord issues. When looking at VBAC v C-sec rates, those factors are not being included. It only says how many babies die within a certain percent. It's not the process itself. There is actually only a 1% chance of a mother dying due to rupture during a VBAC (unless you augment or induce, then it's 2%). I know women who have done VBA2C or VBA3C!

Here is a link to a website that provides excellent info! International Cesarean Awareness Network

Hope this helps!

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search