"overdue"

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2011, 09:49 AM
HONEYBUNNY61's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I talked to my Dr. today about parts of my birth plan. One of my questions was about how far overdue she'd let me go. She didn't commit to a time, but she had some concern that b/c it was VBAC she didn't want me going too far past term...something about weaker uterus and it would depend on my cervical action. If it seemed like labor was coming due to cervical changes she wouldn't worry about where I was. Which worries me b/c that could go either way and it caused me anxiety last time. I did finally start progressing the last couple of visits. So, I don't *think* that will be an issue, but you never know.

So...what have been your experiences with "overdueness" and VBAC? Should I be concerned with this answer?

The visit went really well. I really like my Dr. This was the only thing that made me cringe a little. Thoughts?

VBAC, NATURAL BIRTHING, BREASTFEEDING, BABYWEARING, CLOTH DIAPERING MOM!
July 20th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My OB preferred that I not go past 41 weeks. I didn't make it that far though so it was never an issue. My plan was to just say "no" if they wanted to schedule a c-section. Legally they can't make you consent to a c-section so I wasn't afraid of saying no.

As for what your cervix is doing - I wouldn't count on that. I wasn't dilated AT ALL at my last prenatal appt but I went into labor 3 days later! With my first daughter I was dilated 1cm for over a week before I went into labor. Cervical changes aren't really an indication that your body is preparing for labor - dilation can happen VERY fast when your body is ready so don't let your OB use that to scare you into a RCS if you really want a VBAC.

Good luck!

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
July 21st, 2011, 06:57 AM
A friend of mine, who is also doing VBAC, uses the same Dr. I asked her to ask the same question and get some clarification for me.

I don't forsee it being an issue. Though I think I will be past my EDD, but I truly believe it will happen before she thinks it's "too late." I have faith in my body!

July 21st, 2011, 07:25 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You should be ready to argue hte point that overdue is not until you are past 42 weeks. And that the discussion for intervention will not occur until that point. Be proactive, agree to NST and BPP tests. Be prepared for 'low fluid' scares and stay well hydrated, soak in a tub or pool as much as possible for the 24 hours before an US. Also be prepared for 'big baby' scare tactics. My best advice for those are to tell the doctor, 'I understand it means the baby can be larger, but a trial of labor cannot hurt. The worst case is we end in c-section. The best case is I VBAC. We can keep a close eye on my progress and make a determination during labor as needed."

I also had NO progress at all at my final prenatal with my daughter. The midwife expected to see me the next week. I saw her on Thursday and went into labor Sat night, she was born very early Sun morning. The changes were so non-existent that she couldn't even FEEL my cervix!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 22nd, 2011, 08:23 AM
I had a BUNCH of fluid with DD. And I drink water like it's my job. What does soaking in water do? If she tries to induce before I'm ready, I'll just not show up. And I'll request those tests first. She's laid back for the most part. I guess I needed her to say "42 weeks." She just left it kind of vague.

July 22nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to Meg. I know a girl that went to the OB at 9:00 and had no cervical change and at 6:00 pm she was holding her baby girl the same day. With my 3rd I walked around a 4cm for 5 weeks. Edd is just that an estimate.

July 22nd, 2011, 09:06 PM
Keepin' it real!
We were going to consider induction at 41 weeks. Fortunately, my water broke at 40w3d and I VBAC'ed a 9lb1oz baby from a -2 station (yep, she never descended). It was a much longer labor because I actually progressed slowly and didn't really dilate/efface for quite a while due to irregular and ineffective contractions, but finally, things just began happening. Also, I ended up with an episotomy (something my doctor does not like doing, but she was crowned too long), but aside from that, I was able to do it! There's plenty of time and there is hope~

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
August 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Actually I find her lack of commitment reassuring. If she said "42 weeks!" I'd be wondering "really??? What if my bp is to high? What if I'm at 5cm and having prodromal labor at 42 weeks exactly?" Birth isn't a black and white, this or that, definitive kinda thing. It's the practitioners that try and make it fit their little box that worry me. As long as you advocate for your rights when the time comes, I would be very comfortable with that answer.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
August 12th, 2011, 12:58 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_baby View Post
My OB preferred that I not go past 41 weeks. I didn't make it that far though so it was never an issue. My plan was to just say "no" if they wanted to schedule a c-section. Legally they can't make you consent to a c-section so I wasn't afraid of saying no.

As for what your cervix is doing - I wouldn't count on that. I wasn't dilated AT ALL at my last prenatal appt but I went into labor 3 days later! With my first daughter I was dilated 1cm for over a week before I went into labor. Cervical changes aren't really an indication that your body is preparing for labor - dilation can happen VERY fast when your body is ready so don't let your OB use that to scare you into a RCS if you really want a VBAC.

Good luck!
I can not "DITTO" this enough!

YOUR CERVICAL CHANGES MEAN NOTHING!!!!!!! That's how I was scared into a repeat cesarean (with my 2nd son). I'm now hoping for a VB2C!

Good luck. Try not to worry, don't them them scare you, intimidate you or make you feel as if your body can't do this, because you can!

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search