new here and need to get educated

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to mylie12
hello
my name is jacinthe (25)dh is denis(29) we have had a natural birth hunter born at 31 weeks weiging 5 pounds and another boy seb was a c-section after a very long hard labor full term weighing 8 pounds

i'm now expecting baby number 3 and i'm hoping for a vbac so far my family dr. is against it but my o.b is willing to atleast try and i have found a doulas to help me during labor

October 20th, 2011, 10:10 AM
*Candi*'s Avatar Candi
Hi! I'm in ontario too so I thought I should point out that you should look into seeing if there are any midwives in your area. They are 100% covered by OHIP and most will do a vbac no problem!

Also, check out the ICAN website, they have a TON of info on vbacs

Thank you GraysMama for an awesome siggy!

October 20th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
we have 2 midwives here in town and they are currently not taking any new patients as well as my family gp is not willing to reffer me she is opposed to vbacs and wants me just to get another c-section she refered me to my last o.b who did the cestion he is willing to give me an hour and try a vbac if by an hour nothing as change i will be getting another c-section their reasoning is i'm really short 4ft9 and they have yet to see someone this short deliver naturally withought help or complications i live in a very small town about 10 doctors in total 3 obs 2 midwives so not a whole lot of choices

October 21st, 2011, 06:51 AM
*Candi*'s Avatar Candi
their reason for you not being able to have a baby vaginally is because you are SHORT? Are you kidding me? That is the worst reason ever! I'm so angry for you! And an hour? what is your body supposed to be able to do in an hour? Ok, I'm going to round up the troops here and we're going to find you some info to take to your dr!

Thank you GraysMama for an awesome siggy!

October 21st, 2011, 06:58 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
First of all you need to read this: Pelvises I Have Known and Loved - by Gloria Lemay

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
October 21st, 2011, 07:10 AM
I also found this when I searched for Ontario Patients' Rights:

Your Rights
In general, as a patient, you have a right to:

Receive safe and proper care.
Give or refuse consent for any procedure, and for any reason.
Have a medical professional clearly explain health problems and treatments to you.
Participate in health care decisions.
Ask questions and express concerns.
Request a second opinion.
Be assured that personal information is confidential.

What are my rights as a patient?

I would take this to mean 3 very important things:

1) They cannot deny you a TOLAC (trial of labor after cesarean)
2) They do not get to decide when the TOLAC will transition to a cesarean if that should happen (bc you can withold consent for the cesarean until YOU decide you're done trying)
3) If you want a second opinion from a midwife, it looks to me like they HAVE to give you the referral.

Most doctors here (not sure about Canada) will take as much room as you're willing to allow. But the one thing they avoid at all cost is legal entanglements. If you tell them you believe your rights are being violated and you intend to seek legal counsel and pursue a complaint process with the Board of Health (or whatever your equivalent is) they may cough up the referral faster than you can blink bc withholding it is not worth their time AND you've just shown yourself to be a patient they don't want to deal with. So if you become the midwife's "problem" it just makes their life easier.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
October 21st, 2011, 07:14 AM
*~Ginny~*'s Avatar RN - Student CNM :)
Send a message via AIM to *~Ginny~*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinthe View Post
we have 2 midwives here in town and they are currently not taking any new patients as well as my family gp is not willing to reffer me she is opposed to vbacs and wants me just to get another c-section she refered me to my last o.b who did the cestion he is willing to give me an hour and try a vbac if by an hour nothing as change i will be getting another c-section their reasoning is i'm really short 4ft9 and they have yet to see someone this short deliver naturally withought help or complications i live in a very small town about 10 doctors in total 3 obs 2 midwives so not a whole lot of choices

They don't think you can VBAC because you're 4'9" ?? How do they explain all the typically short hispanic moms who, 9 times out of 10, are able to pop out a kid without any problems? I mean that is just nonsense. LOL

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time finding a good practitioner. I know you tried the MWs, but maybe you can ask just to talk to them about their opinions on your VBAC chances if you explain what hurdles you're coming across.

October 21st, 2011, 02:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
thank you well i have spoken to a doula and she is willing to help me fight this because i too feel it's injustice but with a small town and a very close knit dr rhealm it's a bit hard no one will refer me to the midwives but i did call them directly all they were willing to say was that if she did take me in her care which she can't at the moment is that she would allow me to vbac with or withought drugs for as long as i wanted or could but it would have to be at the hospital no homebirth which i'm ok with but unfortenutely they can't take me in as they are not taking any new patients as for my family gp she is soooo opposed to vbacs and my ob is again willing to let me try an hour or so (exact words) if baby hasn't come down then it will be a c=section another thing is he always induces so i know that induction can actually hurt trying a vbac (not pain wise) but more failure to progress and all that jungle so at the moment i have a list of reads to do and getting alot of info on jm books and my doula thank god i have plenty of time and i will push for a vbac my great grandmother birth 12 babies and is shorter then me and she had some big babies so i know i can do it

October 22nd, 2011, 07:30 AM
You might also want to look at out of town options. I know some women on here have driven 2 hours or more to get a VBAC.

October 25th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinthe View Post
thank you well i have spoken to a doula and she is willing to help me fight this because i too feel it's injustice but with a small town and a very close knit dr rhealm it's a bit hard no one will refer me to the midwives but i did call them directly all they were willing to say was that if she did take me in her care which she can't at the moment is that she would allow me to vbac with or withought drugs for as long as i wanted or could but it would have to be at the hospital no homebirth which i'm ok with but unfortenutely they can't take me in as they are not taking any new patients as for my family gp she is soooo opposed to vbacs and my ob is again willing to let me try an hour or so (exact words) if baby hasn't come down then it will be a c=section another thing is he always induces so i know that induction can actually hurt trying a vbac (not pain wise) but more failure to progress and all that jungle so at the moment i have a list of reads to do and getting alot of info on jm books and my doula thank god i have plenty of time and i will push for a vbac my great grandmother birth 12 babies and is shorter then me and she had some big babies so i know i can do it
The good (maybe?) news is, even if you end up 'stuck' with this particular doctor, you may refuse to consent to both induction and c/s. Doc may be well-known for his inductions, but only because his patients are allowing it. Easy option is, don't allow him to administer any medications or perform any procedures without your consent.
Ideally, you'll be able to find a doctor or midwife who is more sympathetic to your goals. If you can't, though, you still have the refusal to consent with the OB. Gotta play hardball sometimes to get what you want/need. Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search