So Torn!! Talk me into it.

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2011, 01:36 PM
wavrunnr's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Please don't hate on me here, but I'm not sure I want a VBAC. I want to want one, but right now I just don't know.

1st baby-- induced at 38wks due to lack of growth. labored 21 hrs......epidural #1 failed....thank goodness for epi #2. I was able to deliver baby sunnyside up after 45 mins of pushing though. Horrible 2nd degree tear/episiotomy.....and even worse than that I had TERRIBLE hemorrhoids for weeks afterwards. Recovery was rough.

2nd baby -- breech with borderline fluid so ended in a csection. It was wonderful. Quick, painless, and recovery was sooooo easy. The worst part of it was taking the tape off from around the stitches.

So, as you can see, I'm leaning toward csection because my experience with vag birth was sooo rough....and my csection was sooo wonderful. However, like I said, I want to want a vbac and my OB is willing. Tell me why I should go for a vbac!! please.

Mommy to 2 miracle IVF daughters and a miracle baby boy conceived without any medical assistance!!!!

Last edited by wavrunnr; October 26th, 2011 at 01:38 PM.
October 26th, 2011, 02:42 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I certainly won't hate on you - I can understand where you're coming from with that history! My big thing for you, though, would be that your first was an induction. You had to do it for medical reasons, of course, but honestly an induction and a labor you start on your own are two totally different things. Your body wasn't ready to go into labor and birth that baby just yet, needed or not, which made the whole thing harder on you! I honestly wouldn't expect the same thing this time around.

To me, the biggest thing about VBAC is that it lets your body decide when the baby's ready to be born. Now, if you run into any medical reasons that baby needs to come out - I'd probably do a c-section in your case again rather than an induction. But if you can get to the point where your body goes into labor on its own, recovery (I found) from a vaginal birth is a lot easier than a c-section.

At the end of the day, the #1 thing is that you have a healthy baby regardless of what method you go with - and that you're happy with your choice.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
October 26th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No hate here either. I think this is a very personal decision.

I had tearing and an episiotomy with my VBAC but I thought the recovery was way easier than my c-section. I also had a bad experience with my c-section when I felt the doc cut into my stomach, plus I labored for 24+ hours before having my surgery so I was EXHAUSTED by the time I had it - all of that made my recovery really tough. Reasons I opted for a VBAC - a) I hated my c-section, b) I wanted to be able to lift my older DD (she was 17 months when I had my VBAC) after delivery, no lifting with a c-section, and c) to me the VBAC was the less risky option when I looked at the risks of RCS vs. VBAC.

As long as you are happy with your decision then that's what matters so do some research and see how you feel. Good luck!

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
October 27th, 2011, 07:40 AM
*Candi*'s Avatar Candi
Definitely no hate! Its a tough decision. I am currently planning for a vbac but my midwife has already told me, if at any time I decide that a c/s is the better route for me, whether for personal or for medical reasons I can make that call. So if at 39 weeks things are coming up that I'm not sure about, I can opt for the c/s. But I am planning a vbac as of right now.

Can you talk to your OB about that?

Thank you GraysMama for an awesome siggy!

October 27th, 2011, 08:04 AM
HONEYBUNNY61's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You've got time. You don't have to decide right this second.

It seems as though most women who choose VBAC were not happy with their c-section. My recovery was killer and I hated that I couldn't be with my baby immediately. So, I don't want to do that again. You had the opposite situation, so it makes sense to me that you would just elect c-section again. I would suggest reading up on VBAC with a completely open mind (VBAC Companion is one option). You never know what might strike a cord with you in either direction. In the end, just go with what makes you feel at peace.

Everyone above had offered great advice. Good luck and congrats!

VBAC, NATURAL BIRTHING, BREASTFEEDING, BABYWEARING, CLOTH DIAPERING MOM!
October 27th, 2011, 03:32 PM
lil_fishy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No hate! I have a few friends that have had great c-sections, most of them more than 1. They have had good experiences. The thing is, you have experienced both and you can choose which birth you would like to have. I agree with pp that an induction is not like spontaneous labor.

My big reason for hoping to VBAC in the future is complications and the fact that it hurts me (emotional and physical) to have a c-section, plus I didn't have the easiest recovery. I wasn't able to care for me sweet baby. I couldn't get her in and out of the crib... I just about killed me. Good luck on making your choice! I am so happy that you have a supportive OB, which is really important.

October 27th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Karine119's Avatar SAHM of 3 Drama Queens!
Send a message via AIM to Karine119 Send a message via MSN to Karine119 Send a message via Yahoo to Karine119
I usually do a pro and con list. Whatever you decide is going to be the birth you wanted and a healthy baby. I would sit down and talk with your dr. and/or DH and decide what you think would be best.

October 27th, 2011, 06:55 PM
wavrunnr's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
thanks. you guys are awesome. I will do some thinking, reading, pro/con lists, etc. thanks!!

Mommy to 2 miracle IVF daughters and a miracle baby boy conceived without any medical assistance!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search