VBAC questions to ask new OB?

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Blue_Eyed_Baby

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 26th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies! Some of you may or may not remember me. I've posted here before as I had to have an unexpected c-section with my first child after 18 hours of labor. After debating I really think I want to have a VBAC. My problem overall was that from the minute my feet touched hospital ground, they forced interventions on me when I truly believe in my heart my body was already doing what it needed to do. I don't feel like they ever gave me a chance to do things on my own...and you know how the story goes - pitocin + catheter + no food.....yadda yadda... led to my c-section! Wahoo!

I have chosen to search for a new OB/GYN altogether as I wasn't happy with my practice overall. I have my yearly appointment with a new OB I've received several reccomendations from friends about. I'm hoping even though it's just a yearly OB visit, they can talk to me a bit about VBACs and their policies since DH and I plan to TTC within 12 months or so.

My questions is, are there any particular questions you would ask a new OB concerning VBACs? All I really know to ask is if they do VBACs often or if they support VBAC attempts I suppose, so I'm lost!

Last edited by Memi; November 27th, 2011 at 05:08 PM.
December 5th, 2011, 12:38 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I'm in the same boat! We just moved, and I was thrilled to learn that VBACs are pretty common around here (in my last state, the hospitals wouldn't allow them). I have an appointment with a new OB in January who I know does VBACs, and I'm not sure what to ask or what I need to discuss with her.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

December 5th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Melissa - Thank you for your response. It's a bit disappointing how slow this board is My appointment is on Wednesday and I'm still a bit clueless. I just hope the new OB is open and willing to give me time to explain my last delivery and where I'm coming from so I can ask them about their policies and practice when it comes to VBACs. I hope youre appointment goes well in January. Finding a good Dr. is like finding a great hairstylist...it takes a lot of trial and error :/

December 8th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Check out your local ICAN network. They can be a wealth of info. Other than that I've read a lot about dr's that say they do VBAC but when it comes down to it they don't really so I would be asking how offten they do it, how many attempts they have, how many sucesses that they have, why you would be rejected, how they would monitor you during pregnancy and labor, what type/ if any inductions are allowed and things of that nature.

December 12th, 2011, 09:47 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Memi, how did your appointment go? I hope it went well and that you got lots of good info!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

December 13th, 2011, 06:28 PM
It went okay I suppose but I honestly was just not feeling it. It didn't "click" if that makes any sense. I have a pretty good read on people and it just didn't feel like the right match for me.
I'm a little dissapointed, but I have one last OB I think I will just make a consultation appointment yet. I'm afraid they may think I'm odd to make such an appointment since I'm not even pregnant nor plan to get pregnant within the next year...but I just want to find someone I'm comftorable with now since it's obviously not the easiest thing to find KWIM?

December 28th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Karine119's Avatar SAHM of 3 Drama Queens!
Send a message via AIM to Karine119 Send a message via MSN to Karine119 Send a message via Yahoo to Karine119
I say go for the appointment. If the OB is a right fit he/she won't find it odd you wanting to meet before TTC to see how you feel.

January 16th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks hun! I have actually become so frustrated with trying to find a Dr. that will 100% not only support my try for a VBAC but also confirm that things were done unnecessarily with my first birth. This combined with my determination to not have the same thing happen to me again has pushed me to the complete opposite side...so now I'm actually seriously considering a home birth which I never saw myself doing before. I've looking into it, called and spoken to two midwifery practices and I really hit it off with the second one I called. I left the conversation feeling very understood and very confident. I really think I will pursue meeting with her and DH when I do become pregnant again. I'm excited by that possibility and terrified all at the same time!

January 21st, 2012, 08:08 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Have you also looked into a hospital-based midwifery practice? If HBAC is scary that might be a good compromise. Unfortunately you are unlikely to find an OB willing to speak against your former OB. They have an unwritten code where they don't offer a dissenting opinion - even if on the inside they're appalled. I know this bc my mom is an OB. It took me a YEAR after my c/s to get her to admit that I should never have been induced.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
March 15th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memi View Post
Hi ladies! Some of you may or may not remember me. I've posted here before as I had to have an unexpected c-section with my first child after 18 hours of labor. After debating I really think I want to have a VBAC. My problem overall was that from the minute my feet touched hospital ground, they forced interventions on me when I truly believe in my heart my body was already doing what it needed to do. I don't feel like they ever gave me a chance to do things on my own...and you know how the story goes - pitocin + catheter + no food.....yadda yadda... led to my c-section! Wahoo!

I have chosen to search for a new OB/GYN altogether as I wasn't happy with my practice overall. I have my yearly appointment with a new OB I've received several reccomendations from friends about. I'm hoping even though it's just a yearly OB visit, they can talk to me a bit about VBACs and their policies since DH and I plan to TTC within 12 months or so.

My questions is, are there any particular questions you would ask a new OB concerning VBACs? All I really know to ask is if they do VBACs often or if they support VBAC attempts I suppose, so I'm lost!
Memi, you will be hard-pressed to find a practitioner of any sort who will tell you that another practitioner interfered, thereby screwing up your birth plan. Where the VBAC is concerned, good questions to ask:

Are you Personally comfortable with VBAC's?

Is the hospital as a whole okay with VBAC's?

Do you have a good VBAC success rate?

What sort of monitoring do you or the hospital require during labor (intermittent, continuous) if continuous, will Telemetry (portable monitoring that allows freedom of movement) be available. If Tele isn't available are you willing to compromise and do intermittent fetal monitoring??

Am I allowed to eat/drink during labor? Most will say no, but it's worth a shot.

Is VBAC automatically contraindicated by you or the hospital if the baby is determined by U/S estimations to weigh over a certain amount? Alot of hospitals and providers put restrictions on this.

Do you have restrictions on how long I can labor overall?

Do you have restrictions on how long I can labor after my water breaks?

Do you use Pitocin on VBAC's/If so is it automatically started once my water breaks?

How many weeks are you willing to let me go?

If I surpass that time period do you use induction methods, such as membrane stripping and/or Foley bulb?

If I opt for a "Walking Epidural" will I still be allowed to get up and walk/use my birthing ball/peanut (if you opt for one)? (You can try and ask the OB this question but you're better off asking an Anesthesiologist who works at your delivery hospital) <This is a very good question to ask because alot of practitioner's/hospitals have restrictions on this as it's considered a major liability to let you get up and move around once you've had it. I can personally attest that while you can definitely feel your legs and feet to walk, you're a bit wobbly, as if you've had a tad too much to drink.>

I can tell you this from personal experience, I've been through labor twice, during one of which I was confined to the bed both during labor and for days beforehand (I had severe Pre-e and as a result was confined to a dark, quiet high-risk room for days as a prophylaxis to try and prevent seizures. My 2nd labor I was free to move around until I got to the hospital, and I can honestly say, though it is painful to move in the throes of a contraction, it is much worse being confined to bed!! Moving really helps labor progress, and lessens the pain.

REMEMBER THIS: You can REFUSE any intervention(s)/Procedures that you don't want and/or don't feel are necessary. They may try to goad you into it, and they may not like it you refuse, but they CANNOT force you to acquiesce either.

Will you be my Dr. throughout L&D or is there a chance I may be delivered by another practitioner? (Some doctor's will stay, others will not) my own Perinatologist refused to leave me because he wanted to make sure that my wishes were respected and that I was treated right.

Are you willing to do a Version or deliver a Breech baby vaginally if the need should arise? I did not think to ask this, but my daughter flipped around 36 weeks, and my Peri offered to deliver her Breech or try a Version.

Also, in the event that you could possibly need a repeat CS (Prayers that you don't), how do you close externally, glue, stitches, staples? This was an important one to me, because staples increase the risk of infection, and make it all the more painful during the healing process.

I am sleepy, but there are more. When I can think of them I will list them. Sorry if there are any grammatical errors or other typos.
MoonMom and Memi like this.

Last edited by Blue_Eyed_Baby; March 15th, 2012 at 10:23 PM.
May 30th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Blue_Eyed_Baby - Thank you so much, that is great and really helpful. Funny enough a lot of the questions you wrote are things I would want to know and have thought of, but also things I would never ever remember to think of to ask during the interview process, so this is extremely helpful to me!

I do have a small question you brought up concerning having the right to refuse any and all procedures and interventions. I was forced to get a catheter and several other things I didn't want. I was told it was hospital procedure and had to. It's a long story but in short they tried using rigid catheters, which isn't common practice which eventually led to me getting an epidural before I needed or wanted it for pain. Thus started the fast down hill turn to my labor. After speaking with friends I understand it *is* common practice to catheterize, but due to my bad experience with it, I'm really not wanting anything to do with it next time. Does anyone know if even the "small" things like getting a catheter or such that is hospital procedure and they may do that to every patient, am I able to refuse these such things as well???? On one hand I would say yes I have that right, but then the other side of my brain says it's their hospital and if it's "procedure" then will they allow me to labor at their hospital if I refuse all of their routine things?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search