Dr. says pelvis too small?

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By georgiabrit

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2012, 10:25 AM
mrschamberlain's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey ladies

So I asked my doctor if he did VBAC's, and he replied "you would probably be a good candidate because there were no complications during your c-section, but I would not do one on you because your pelvis is small, and you also have a small vagina."

What do you think about this? This is the first doctor I've asked about a vbac. But I've seen numerous doctors throughout my life, and none of them ever mentioned I had a small vagina and pelvis. (even when I was pregnant). I do admit, I'm pretty small-about 125 pounds and 5 ft 6 in...but still! I was very upset to hear this. Do you think I should just forget about a vbac since I'm apparently "too small", or get another opinion?

Thanks ladies!
Angie-wife to Justin, mom to Kaeden, and TTC #2
January 22nd, 2012, 02:00 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Get another opinion, for sure! That sounds like a load of bunk to me.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
January 22nd, 2012, 06:04 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^ditto^

I'd be looked for someone else pronto

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

January 23rd, 2012, 12:07 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What did he base this on?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 23rd, 2012, 08:11 AM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
I would definitely get another opinion. If you want a VBAC then fight for it. I had to fight for mine (saw about 4-5 doctors before one said they would let me attempt a VBAC). With my oldest it ended in a CSection after 24 hours of labor (including 4 hours of pushing). Then they couldn't really come to a conclusion why I couldn't get him out. They said my pelvis is to small, I'm to small (5ft and 135lbs), or the baby wouldn't come down, or baby was turned the wrong way, or baby was to big (ha...6lbs is not big!), and my epidural was dangerous to me (numbed up to my neck). Anyways...I got my VBAC, labor was only 3 hours with no pain medication. Don't believe them when they start spewing out stuff like your pelvis being to small. How do they really know? If you're serious about attempting a VBAC then keep getting different opinions until someone says yes. It'll be worth it in the end.
February 9th, 2012, 08:09 AM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
I'd find another provider ASAP! The size of your pelvis and your vagina aren't appropriate guidelines as to weather you should have a vaginal delivery or not. You can use various birthing positions to help open up a "small" pelvis up to 30%.

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

February 9th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Your vagina is too small? What an asshat! I hope you got a new doctor.
March 26th, 2012, 11:44 AM
georgiabrit's Avatar Super Mommy
I can't imagine at 5'6" that your pelvis or vagina are too small to birth a child your body grows! Slim, sure... but what does a slender figure have to do with the size of someone's vagina, fer crying out loud!
Doctors sure do spout some BS sometimes I hope youre encouraged to find a second and third opinion!

Polly
fromGirltoMommy likes this.

March 26th, 2012, 11:58 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
A friend of mine is 4'11" and just had a 9lb 12oz baby vaginally. I hope you got another opinion and an OK to VBAC!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 30th, 2012, 08:29 AM
HONEYBUNNY61's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lies. Go to another Dr.

VBAC, NATURAL BIRTHING, BREASTFEEDING, BABYWEARING, CLOTH DIAPERING MOM!
May 1st, 2012, 06:46 PM
I was told that my pelvis was too small too. I'm having a VBAC in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know what happens. Reading positive and successful stories on-line is really what encouraged me to try for a VBAC. Hopefully I can be of some encouragement to you!
May 4th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Veteran
The dr who delivered my first tried to tell me that. I now have 6 kids and all but the last(who was transverse and a twin) were vaginal. I am 5'5" and 120 and very small boned. My friend who delivered her 8lb 10oz baby makes me look like a giant.
May 24th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There is no way he can tell if your pelvis is too small just by looking at you. Or the size or your vagina uggh. You might tear sure, but you most likely can deliver vaginally. The OB I had with my 2nd c-section told me he could tell by looking at me that I couldn't deliver vaginally. What a load of bs. Last August I had a vba2c and my baby was 8lb12 oz!
May 24th, 2012, 02:43 PM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
Send a message via MSN to SugarNSpice Send a message via Yahoo to SugarNSpice
The OB that did my c-section also told me that my pelvis was small and also tilted and that because of that, a vaginal birth wouldn't be possible. Well, I thought he was full of crap and went for a VBAC anyway and it's a good thing I did because I had a wonderful amazing and natural VBAC with my next baby. And she came out in about 4 pushes. It was so easy! I had my second VBAC with my son a year ago and it went perfectly as well!

Doctors are full of crap for the most part. They do not care about what you want or what's best for you. They care about money and what is most convinient for them. I am a nurse, I work with doctors all the time so I know all too well how they are and what they think. So I can say this truthfully - doctors are A-holes and they don't care what you want. They'll say whatever to get you to do what they want you to do. That's why you have to take charge of your own healthcare and educate yourself so you can make the best decisions for you. Don't believe everything the doc says because it's mostly crap.

October 18th, 2012, 05:58 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I was told that my pelvis was too small back in 2007, in 2010 - I had a perfect VBAC minus that it took forever... Hope you got another opinion!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search