Worried about VBAC after a C-section

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2012, 07:19 AM
Hi everyone! I had an appointment yesterday with another doctor about my options, to either go vaginal or have another c-section. My first baby was rather large and full breech, they tried aversion which did not work (and was not very pleasant) so opted to give me a section.

I have a strange feeling that this baby will be just as large and I'm actually a little stressed about going vaginal because I've read about some complications that can happen. I also felt a little pushed in that direction as well.

What has been your experiences with VBAC after a section and the possiblity of a large baby. My first was 8'14 when she was born and isn't it typical for the second to be larger.

Thanks so much to all those who reply.

Lisa
January 31st, 2012, 08:48 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I had a homebirth after csection (with #7-8). My #7 was an emergency section due to placental abruption. I decided to have #8 at home (#7 was a planned homebirth) and it went wonderfully, no problems at all, and #8 was 11lbs 8oz.
They were only 16 months apart too.
#12 is on the way
January 31st, 2012, 01:51 PM
lil_fishy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't had a vbac (I frequent this board to read the successes of these wonderful ladies, with hopes that my next baby with be a vbac), but I have to say. I have known several women who have pushed out 9lb+ babies. I know that there are complications with a vaginal delivery, but there are also chances for complications for a c-section. I think you need to be fully aware of both sets to make an educated decision. I hope you can determine what is right for you and your baby.

February 1st, 2012, 05:04 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I havent had a vbac yet....but my first born was a vag birth at 38 weeks...he was 9lbs 12.2 oz and 22 inches long..HUGE I only had one small tear ..took awhile to push him out but it went fine. Big babies dont always mean complications. Also my second was almost 2lbs smaller.

GL!

February 2nd, 2012, 05:54 AM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
Both my boys were not big babies at all. First was only 6lbs and was C-Section after 24 hours labor and 4 hours pushing. And they thought he wouldn't come out because he was big. Sure fooled them! 2nd was 6lbs 12oz and was by VBAC with only 3 hours of labor including 20 minutes of pushing. My sister's first baby was 9lbs2oz and her 2nd was 7lbs12oz. So the 2nd baby isn't always larger, but they typically say it will be. If you want a VBAC then you should definitely pursue it and fight for it.
February 3rd, 2012, 06:40 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First thing to remember you body will not grow a baby to big for your body. My brother weighed in at 9lbs6oz and I weighed 6lbs12oz. Second babies are definitely not aways bigger.

February 3rd, 2012, 11:07 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First, 8 lb 14 o is not a big baby. That is a perfectly average sized baby. Second, each baby and pregnancy is an individual experience. My first (c-section for breech) was 7 lb 1 oz, my second (successful external version at 37.5 weeks- so he was over 8 pounds when they did the version) was 9 lb 14 oz- VBAC, my third (successful ECV at 37.5 weeks) was 8 lb 10 oz- VBAC.

Then I did a bunch of research, learned about seeing s chiropractor while pregnant and started seeing one at 23 weeks with my 4th pregnancy. She turned on her own at 36.5 weeks! I felt so great during that pregnancy too.

My 6th pregnancy he turned himself too. I don't know when he did it because he was vertex by 34 weeks. He was also a VBAC and weighed 8 lb 4 oz just like my 4th.

Not all second babies are bigger. Here is the breakdown of my mom's babies:
#1 8 lb 5 oz
#2 7 lb 1.5 oz
#3 8lb 8 oz
#4 10 lb 9 oz
#5 8lb 3 oz
#6 9 lb 10 oz
#7 (4 weeks premature) 7 lb 3 oz

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
March 17th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Veteran
My first vbac was a 9 lb baby and it went very well. My second vbac was an almost 9 lb baby and it was a homebirth and went even better. I do not believe the size of the baby can be an issue...sometimes positioning might make it a bit more difficult but you can do it!I wish you the very best!!!

How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers. ~ Blessed Mother Teresa
March 26th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Super Mommy
I am going though the same feelings now...first 2 births were vaginal, but pushed for 3 hours and they were just a little too much to the side and were not coming out, so they used Forceps and Vaccum. My 3rd was a c-section because of placenta previa and I am torn between VBAC or repeat c-section. I would love to try a vaginal birth. My Dr. said I am a good candidate cause I had 2 previous vaginal births, however I read on American Pregnancy and it said a reason for not being a good candidate for VBAC is having diabetes and I have gestational diabetes...Plus I am sooo scared ot uterine rupture...So I have no idea what I will do yet....
March 27th, 2012, 01:28 PM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm planning a VBAC currently. I honestly plan to ignore anything guessing my baby's weight (my OB with DS was way wrong). It's hard but I'm trusting my body to not make a baby bigger than what I can handle. Most women truly don't make babies that are too big. DS was 8 1/2 pounds. My issue with DS was his position (sunny side up basically) and the fact that I was bed bound by the nurses, so I couldn't move around to get him into better position. He was not too big, even with his almost 15" head. He just wasn't turning correctly with me being forced to be on my back. I really do think that most women who are told that their babies are too big for them really just had babies who just weren't in ideal positioning which is needed with large kids. Being able to move around usually helps move the baby into better position.

The chances for rupture (with no history) is less than 1%. The risk of something going wrong during a c/s is much higher. Even with history the risk of rupture really isn't very high.
3Sapphires likes this.

March 29th, 2012, 09:00 PM
i am super nervous my daughter was 7#6oz vag birth and my son was 8#10oz and i had to have a c section with him not cause of weight or anything but because his umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck and above his head so when they checked me they felt the umbilical cord and said basically if i pushed he would of died... and now im due in july and my dr said i can have a vbac but it took me a while to heal inside from my csection so im extremely scared of the results and im scared of what could happen...

Mother of :
Lilly Nicole 10/22/04
Liam Michael 6/6/07

Stepmother of:
Lauryn Rose 8/19/02

Soon to be mommy of:
Baby boy Leroy John due 7/26/12

~*Married to my love Michael 3/23/11 til forever*~
March 30th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2ls View Post
i am super nervous my daughter was 7#6oz vag birth and my son was 8#10oz and i had to have a c section with him not cause of weight or anything but because his umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck and above his head so when they checked me they felt the umbilical cord and said basically if i pushed he would of died... and now im due in july and my dr said i can have a vbac but it took me a while to heal inside from my csection so im extremely scared of the results and im scared of what could happen...
mommyof2ls

I am due in July as well...Had 2 vaginal births, but pushed for 3 hours each and they had to use forceps and vaccum to get them out....My last one was a c-section, so I am really confused as what to do....I would like to try vaginally, but really am scared to death...My husband is just as scared as me and wants us to go for a c-section. He is scared that I will push for 3 hours like the first 2 and they will have to force the baby out, and possibly cause the uterus to rupture...I am really scared....
April 3rd, 2012, 05:28 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a vbac 3 days ago. With my first born I had a cs and he was 8 lbs 15 oz. With my vbac my daughter was 6 lbs 10 oz. My vbac was amazing! I went back and forth on having a repeat cs or trying for a vbac. I'm so glad I went with the vbac.
April 15th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I am scared literly everyone keeps telling me ill b fine, i just had a friend who had two vbacs after her csection n she did great. I am with you starr33, I pushed a long time with my daughter n was so exhausted i wanted to give up, im really scared to do it all over again lol. But my dr says i should b okay but honestly what if im not, what if something goes wrong and i just have to have a csection anyways would it be less complicated to just have a csection? i hate these type of decisions. but good luck hunni i hear ur fears loud n clear i hope all goes well with u. keep me posted on ur decision id love to know how it all goes too.

Mother of :
Lilly Nicole 10/22/04
Liam Michael 6/6/07

Stepmother of:
Lauryn Rose 8/19/02

Soon to be mommy of:
Baby boy Leroy John due 7/26/12

~*Married to my love Michael 3/23/11 til forever*~
April 22nd, 2012, 10:01 AM
Bekah's Avatar happy 2 be a girl mommy!
I just had an unplanned VBAC after two c-sections a week ago. My first baby was a c-section due to failure to progress (laboured for 24+ hours but she just didn't want to come out even with the vacuum) second was a c-section because I was traumatized from the first birth experience. The VBAC was AMAZING, and trust me when I say when I went into labour on my own at 38 weeks I was TERRIFIED I didn't think I could do it at all but when I got to the hospital I had no choice... I was already at 10 and baby was on her way out! No time for an epidural or anything, and it was the most amazing experience of my life So weigh your options.

Also second babies are not always bigger, everyone thought my babies would be bigger because my mom's got progressively bigger... but mine were all within the 7 lb range.

April 23rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
i had a VBAC, induced at 40 weeks, and had a 9lbs 4oz 23" baby. I only pushed for 40 minutes and labored for 5 hours before it.
April 24th, 2012, 01:41 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I VBAC'ed my third after delivering my second by c-section. My third baby was smaller than my first as well, so I wouldn't say that subsequent babies will always be bigger! Also remember that a lot of women deliver babies that are 9, 10, even 11 pounds. Your body knows what it's doing Good luck!!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 24th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Veteran
I am absolutely having a VBAC unless there is irreputable evidence that it is not safe for me or my baby. I have had 5 vag births and 1 c. Recovery from my c was way worse than any of my vag deliveries. Most of the things they tell you about VBACs being dangerous are skewed. If drs do a c then they can say they did the "safest" thing and they dont have to worry about lawsuits. But if you look at the statistics Its really not all that different between a repeat C or a VBAC.

So theres my soap box.

oh and my babies have been all diffiernt sizes.

6'13
6'14
5'12
6'03
5'5
7'1

so no real pattern there
May 31st, 2012, 11:04 PM
I had pre-eclampsia with my first, but delivered my tiny bean of a daughter vaginally at 4lbs 2oz. My second daughter was just shy of 8lbs and I had a c-section. They determined during the surgery that the reason I hadn't progressed was because she had placed her arm up over her head, preventing her from moving further down the birth canal.

I had an amazing OB with my 3rd daughter that not only allowed a VBAC (which is rare here in Washington), but induced me so that she could be born while my husband was home on 2 weeks leave from deployment.

My 4th child - finally a boy! I had another VBAC, induced with no complications at all.

I HATED recovery from my c-section with the second child and I would seriously drive cross-country to avoid it. The cramps that breastfeeding caused in the few days after delivery were nearly unbearable with the c-section.
June 3rd, 2012, 09:33 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
My first baby was my largest. They have all been smaller since. My c-section was with #8. She flipped breech during labor. I had a successful VBAC with #9.

Michael(17), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(9), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(3), Ronan(1)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search