My Exhausting Journey to a VB2C.

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By blessdmommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2012, 07:50 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
I just wanted to let everyone know my experience with the new ACOG guidelines and finding a supportive provider.

I guess I should first point out that I technically do have a supportive provider, but because of hospital policies I have to have an OB consult before signing release forms for a VBAC.

Long story short...I've been told by TWO OBs that I can't have a VBAC at the local hospital that is known for it's VBAC reputation, supportive midwives ect. They only list the risks involved in VBACing and say that I'm not a candidate. Please keep in mind that they say this, while not reading my records or having operative reports in front of them from my previous surgeries. I was told today by an OB who'd never seen me or read the operative reports (because they're still waiting on them to be sent from the hospital where I delivered before), that he will not consent to me having a VBAC. After he leaves the room, I talk with midwife (the supportive person I mentioned above) and she said she's shocked by what he said and basicly hinted that she doesn't understand his evidence for what he was telling me. She had just had a VB2C patient 3 weeks ago. So after some further digging, I find out that another midwife at that office had seen an online friend of mine (the vb2c patient) and was brought into a meeting this week...looks like the hospital is changing it's VBAC policies, probably due to their insurance.

So here I am 32 weeks pregnant with my 3rd baby, I want to have a VBAC and don't think I should have to consent to surgery just because someone doesn't want to give me the go ahead to have a "trial of labor". The doctor was telling me that it's not him, or me it's just "not done." Ok Whatever. So here I am left with little choice and no real care provider. Although, the midwife did tell me that she'd see me and continue to help me find care elsewhere. She said she'd call the other local hospital and see if they'd take me, if not, she'd call the hospital an hour from here.

I explain all this to my DH and he's all upset because the doctors are looking at the facts listed in the ACOG Guidelines and what not. We had hired a doula in the hopes of laboring at home for as long as possible. So after talking to my DH and my doula, we'll be having a home birth with a CPM.

Isn't it interesting that the midwife mentioned that things won't change unless we start giving people the chance to change them? Then mentions a client who had the same speel I did and went on to HB.

I just wanted to tell you my story and let you know that just because they say no...doesn't mean you have to say yes to a c/s.
TnPhotoMama81 and Celine like this.

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

February 10th, 2012, 12:29 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good for you for not "giving in" and scheduling the c/s when a VBAC is something that you really want. I can't wait to hear about your home birth .

=May '05 and '11

February 14th, 2012, 05:33 PM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
Just wanted to say good luck on your HBAC I hope everything goes off without a hitch and it is a wonderful experience for you and your husband.

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop
February 14th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks ladies!
I have an interview with a CPM on the 20th! I can't wait!

March 7th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Thats what my doc told me for my second pregnancy but the closet hospital that would allow it was 2hrs away and I couldnt go to mine and have them fly me their i was basically forced to have another c-section but I decided if im pregnant again I dont care Im going to the other hospital and im gonna have a VBAC!
I just wished I had your courage and didnt give in, you have strength!
March 20th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Things with the CPM didn't work out, so I'm still fighting the hospital. I have an amazing birth support team in my husband and doula. We'll be staying home as long as possible, monitoring my BP and the baby's heartrate.

March 22nd, 2012, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessdmommy View Post
Things with the CPM didn't work out, so I'm still fighting the hospital. I have an amazing birth support team in my husband and doula. We'll be staying home as long as possible, monitoring my BP and the baby's heartrate.
1st of all honey good for you for fighting for your birth, your way! 2nd, they cannot force you to have surgery and they cannot refuse to care for you unless they find another hospital or practitioner willing to take you. If you have to I would say show up at the hospital late in labor, they won't like it, but there's not a ****** thing they can do about it. And as far as the so-called bans, it's total BS, VBAC bans are not only illegal they are also unethical!
March 25th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Eyed_Baby View Post
1st of all honey good for you for fighting for your birth, your way! 2nd, they cannot force you to have surgery and they cannot refuse to care for you unless they find another hospital or practitioner willing to take you. If you have to I would say show up at the hospital late in labor, they won't like it, but there's not a ****** thing they can do about it. And as far as the so-called bans, it's total BS, VBAC bans are not only illegal they are also unethical!

If you go to the hospital when you're in labor they cannot deny you care and they cannot force you to sign off on surgery.
I fought for my VBAC right to the last hour before my daughter was born. If you really want when you are surrounded by healthcare providers that feel you should have surgery you really need to stick to your guns!
I pushed my baby girl the way nature intended and I think everyone should have that option.

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search