What do you think?

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UrbanMomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2012, 05:31 PM
JSquaredMom's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm due in July with #2 and considering VBAC over another c/s. #1 was induced at 39 weeks because it was offered and I didn't know much better at the time An out was offered, and I took it! They started me on pitocin at 8am, and by 3pm I was at a 3. I came in at barely 1. My OB broke my water around then, and then....nada. By the next few checks that I remember, 7, 8, 1am...all still at a 3. I tried really hard to avoid the epidural, but when they told me it was going to be "a while" and I wasn't moving anywhere, I took the epi at 4. Around 2am, when I was still at a 3, we decided to go wtih a section. DS apparently turned a little somewhere during labor, and was "slightly transverse".

Considering it was an elective induction, and I didn't make it past a 3, and never got to "Active" labor...would a vbac be a good idea? My OB is willing, but did caution that it would be like never having gone through labor at all, and would likely be a 24+ hour ordeal. Pretty sure she wants me to do a section.

This is the last kid for us, so I'm torn. C/S was easy for me, and I had a great recovery, so I'm not afraid of it. I just kind of feel like I should try to do it the way it's supposed to be done, I guess....

Thoughts? Anyone with anything similar?

I'm still a little stumped as why a "slightly" transverse baby would stall me out at a 3...and thinking more it had to do maybe with the pitocin and epi. Who knows?

February 13th, 2012, 06:54 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I would try for a vbac, but I would do almost anything to avoid a section.

I'm really not fond of docs offering inductions, especially before 40 weeks. If you and baby aren't ready, its not going to work. IMO, all the interventions led to your csection.

There is absolutely no way any doc can tell you what your labor will be like or how long it will take. So saying it will be 24+ hours is pretty silly. You could zip through it or it could take longer. No way to know until you get there.

Slightly transverse. Hmmm. They should have waited, if baby was not engaged then he/she wasn't ready. I have never heard of labor knocking a baby who is engaged into a slightly transverse position. The other way around perhaps. LOL.

Anyway, do what you really feel comfortable with. I would always recommend the VBAC. I really think a section carries as many, if not more risk, than a vbac. And if for any reason, or any "oops", you were to have a third baby good luck finding anyone who wants to let a two time section mom go for a vbac. I had problems finding anyone and they are still "on record" as recommending a repeat section. I just refuse.
3Sapphires likes this.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
February 13th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Well, to be fair, I think her whole "24 hour" thing was to caution me that since my body didnt really go through full on labor, it would be like starting from scratch. Most first time labors do take quite some time. Not all, of course

Can't go back, can only go forward. I figured we were committed to having the baby that day once they broke my water. Kind of hard to stop at that point.

February 14th, 2012, 09:02 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my first was induced at 40w2d - like you I didn't know better. after a severly bad reaction to pitocin, and only 2 hours of labor I had a crash c/s.

My second I VBAC'ed - I was never in real labor with my first and my second labor was 11 hours from first contraction to a wiggly baby on my chest.

that 24 hour thing is hogwash.

I say go for the VBAC.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

March 2nd, 2012, 12:23 PM
wingqueen26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was induced at 40 weeks, 1 day. After a full day of pitocin (and epidural boosts), the baby turned slightly and couldn't descend to fully dilate me and after 12 hours of contractions i through in the towel and had a c/s but my c/s didn't go well. i ended up with a staph infection, etc. I am going VBAC all the way this time.

thank u quantum leap for my siggy

March 2nd, 2012, 04:27 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMomma View Post
I would try for a vbac, but I would do almost anything to avoid a section.

I'm really not fond of docs offering inductions, especially before 40 weeks. If you and baby aren't ready, its not going to work. IMO, all the interventions led to your csection.

There is absolutely no way any doc can tell you what your labor will be like or how long it will take. So saying it will be 24+ hours is pretty silly. You could zip through it or it could take longer. No way to know until you get there.

Slightly transverse. Hmmm. They should have waited, if baby was not engaged then he/she wasn't ready. I have never heard of labor knocking a baby who is engaged into a slightly transverse position. The other way around perhaps. LOL.

Anyway, do what you really feel comfortable with. I would always recommend the VBAC. I really think a section carries as many, if not more risk, than a vbac. And if for any reason, or any "oops", you were to have a third baby good luck finding anyone who wants to let a two time section mom go for a vbac. I had problems finding anyone and they are still "on record" as recommending a repeat section. I just refuse.
My thoughts exactly. Especially the bolded, that's the position I'm in NOW! If I want a vb2c I have to go in pushing!

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

March 9th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks everyone.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search